GavinO

A wee wallet

So, I don't really like making small goods. In that, I don't really have the skill set. They are fiddly, use different leather to what I used for bagmaking, and the best ones are hand-stitched which isn't something I (currently) do.

However, I knocked this little fella out this week and while not perfect, I think he looks pretty smart. 

Machine stitched on my Durkopp Adler. 

Also been slowly learning about product photography and bought myself a lightbox, these are the inital results. 

20220706_101128.jpeg

20220706_101141.jpeg

20220706_101227.jpeg

20220706_101239.jpeg

It looks first rate to me, nicely done. 

:rockon:

Looks pretty cool.

As a comment, keep in mind that small goods, by requiring careful attention to detail and being less tolerant of error, give you the base on which to solidly build excellent craftsmanship with large items. Good with the little things, good then with the big things, as was wisely said by Someone.

Neat use of the lightbox in those last two images. Most people just blast the item with light from all sides and it looks terrible. I see you're using light ratios and raking the light to bring up texture. Good show.

Looks pretty clean and tidy. 

3 hours ago, Hardrada said:

Looks pretty cool.

As a comment, keep in mind that small goods, by requiring careful attention to detail and being less tolerant of error, give you the base on which to solidly build excellent craftsmanship with large items. Good with the little things, good then with the big things, as was wisely said by Someone.

Neat use of the lightbox in those last two images. Most people just blast the item with light from all sides and it looks terrible. I see you're using light ratios and raking the light to bring up texture. Good show.

Re: lightbox, it's kind of luck. I shot it on myltiple backgrounds, with my DSLR and my phone. These are from my phone, I am doing a little course on Udemy in product photography, just downloaded lightroom for mobile and did some editing,  they look a bit more vibrant now. I have a bit of a learning curve ahead of me on photography, but I am enjoying it! 

3 hours ago, Hardrada said:

Looks pretty cool.

Yeah I seem to have approached my leather learning journey a bit back to front. 

Partly it's because I have focused in on using old sofa/upholstery leather to make bags, and that leather isn't right for small goods. 

Perhaps just for learning I should do some small goods projects, it'll probably upskill me 

19 hours ago, GavinO said:

So, I don't really like making small goods.

You may not enjoy making small goods, but I do like the basket weave  .   Great work  :)

For me, they are fiddly, but , they are the pieces  that a lot of my customers look for when they enter my stall. I use mostly kangaroo hide. 

HS

If I may make one suggestion. Make an open border around the edge of your product enclosing the stitching then do your basket weave or other inside the bordered area.

Ferg

40 minutes ago, Ferg said:

If I may make one suggestion. Make an open border around the edge of your product enclosing the stitching then do your basket weave or other inside the bordered area.

Ferg

Ah I didn't make the basket weave, the surface has been treated to look like that, I just bought it

9 hours ago, Handstitched said:

You may not enjoy making small goods, but I do like the basket weave  .   Great work  :)

For me, they are fiddly, but , they are the pieces  that a lot of my customers look for when they enter my stall. I use mostly kangaroo hide. 

HS

Sadly I can't take credit for the basket weave, I just bought it like that. 

But yeah, I think I need to get my head aorund the smaller pieces, otherwise I don't have much of a price range