Alexis1234

Goat Driving Harness

haven't posted in a long time, but thought I would share my  latest " unusual " project... I was commissioned to make a custom GOAT driving harness. Certainly not fancy/ high end  by harness work standards, but unusual in today's world of nylon and beta. This harness has rolled patent leather breeching and breastcollar,  a 2 in flexible padded saddle and tan English bridle leather lines. I'm still working on a few parts to get it finished and sent out, but thought I would share.  I used a 1907 Sears Roebuck catalog and a vintage harness makers guide  book for  guidance/IMG_20220707_115948_742.jpg.92fd9046cd3dcfece4a013ee50b42bf9.jpgI haven't posted in a long time, but thought I would share my  latest " unusual " project... I was commissioned to make a custom GOAT driving harness. Certainly not fancy/ high end  by any  harness work standards, but unusual in today's world of nylon and beta. This harness has rolled patent leather breeching and breastcollar,  a 2 in flexible padded saddle and tan English bridle leather lines. This is the tiniest harness I've ever made :) I'm still working on a few parts to get it finished and sent out, but thought I would share.  I used a 1907 Sears Roebuck catalog and a vintage harness makers guide  book for  guidance/ inspiration. Let me know what you think- Thanks! IMG_20220707_115948_770.jpg.02f6862fdd828f94d30f1cc4a399fc45.jpg

IMG_20220707_115948_712.jpg

IMG_20220707_115948_886.jpg

IMG_20220707_115948_817.jpg

IMG_20220707_115948_839.jpg

Looks good. I assume the goat pulls a little cart of some kind.

that is the coolest thing ever!!!!!

Man i knew gas was high but I didn't think folks would resort to driving goats.:crazy:

16 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

that is the coolest thing ever!!!!!

Man i knew gas was high but I didn't think folks would resort to driving goats.:crazy:

I didn't know folks still drove goats, but after this- I want a pair:)

30 minutes ago, TSes said:

Looks good. I assume the goat pulls a little cart of some kind.

Yes- carts or wagon

You gotta get some goat action pics from your customer after you deliver. I know nothing about tack but it looks great! Classiest goat EVAR!

1 hour ago, battlemunky said:

You gotta get some goat action pics from your customer after you deliver. I know nothing about tack but it looks great! Classiest goat EVAR!

I will! I know very little about driving goats but I'm very intrigued.  Told customer - I need pics, lol

There are still parts of Europe where in rural areas people use goats, dogs and even pigs for pulling small carts. Carts big enough to carry produce to the local market or to take children to school. These are still used in rural US more of an old tradition rather than for need

team%252520goats.jpg

bernese-mountain-dog-adult-pulling-cart-

I can't find a modern image of a pig-cart but I do know they are still used, mainly eastern France, western Germany, lower Netherlands and south-west Belgium

animals-zoo-english-pig-trained-draw-car

Edited by fredk

Beautiful work!  I'm sure the goat will be proud to wear it.  What was the vintage harness makers book you used?

I’m so glad there was a picture of a goat (the animal) and they weren’t made for some old guy

hshahahahahahahaha!

One of our locals sometimes  has her mini ponies pulling a small cart through the town...and parks it/them next to the cars in the carpark , attracting a lot of odd  and admiring looks   :)

You have done some great work there :specool:

HS

55 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

One of our locals sometimes  has her mini ponies pulling a small cart through the town...and parks it/them next to the cars in the carpark , attracting a lot of odd  and admiring looks   :)

and now it will be very jealous looks as others fill their cars petrol tanks!

sorry, I forgot my manners. That is just grand work on that harness

and, you know goats will eat anything? When I kept a few goats, they'd eat nylon ropes, chew on metal chain but they would not  eat leather straps

On 7/7/2022 at 6:36 PM, fredk said:

There are still parts of Europe where in rural areas people use goats, dogs and even pigs for pulling small carts. Carts big enough to carry produce to the local market or to take children to school. These are still used in rural US more of an old tradition rather than for need

team%252520goats.jpg

bernese-mountain-dog-adult-pulling-cart-

I can't find a modern image of a pig-cart but I do know they are still used, mainly eastern France, western Germany, lower Netherlands and south-west Belgium

animals-zoo-english-pig-trained-draw-car

Yes, I looked at antique photos- just wonderful, both the dogs and goat... Some vehicles were beautifully built just like miniature horse carriages! 

On 7/7/2022 at 10:11 PM, TomE said:

Beautiful work!  I'm sure the goat will be proud to wear it.  What was the vintage harness makers book you used?

Thank you :) The book is called The Harness Maker's Illustrated Manual. There are a few ones out there and some of them were incomplete.  Find the version w/ pics. It is available for free online. Wonderful source!

On 7/8/2022 at 2:07 AM, Doc Reaper said:

I’m so glad there was a picture of a goat (the animal) and they weren’t made for some old guy

hshahahahahahahaha!

Lol, I think that's one I'd have to turn down!

Thanks, @Alexis1234 .  I’ve been reading the Hasluck book on saddlery and harness making. Not complete but historical. 

I don't know how I managed to miss this post, but the harness is stunning!:notworthy:

In Norse mythology, the thunder god Thor uses two male goats for pulling his wagon across the sky which makes the thunder and lightning.
Thanks for the tip on the book as well