NicoleM

Help! Did I ruin my project?

1 hour ago, JREESER1 said:

Try using a liberal amount on a clean cotton rag or white terry cloth towel. You can use quite a bit on the darkest spots while rubbing lightly and rinsing the cloth often. If this does not help considerably, dipping might be the only solution. Bear in mind you will not be able to get all the dye out or even be very consistent. But it may lighten up the worst areas. When you are ready to retry the dying use a very diluted color and apply the dye solution with a good sponge not the dauber that comes with the dye. Hand dying is a practiced art on large areas. Practice on scraps until you get the coverage and tints you want. Springfield leather used to have a series of YouTube videos on dye and dying techniques. I have not tried to view them, lately. Try to find them, they helped me a lot. 

Good luck

jr

Thank you! I appreciate it!

Fiebings dye reducer if I recall is denatured alcohol.  It or isopropyl work,  I have used both.  However, I must say it may not be you, it could just be the leather.  I had this issue with some of the import leathers I had, so I tend to use specific brands now.  If you still have the issue after all the suggestions, recognize it may be the quality of the hide.

YinTx

btw, with using all these different solutions on your leather they take out its natural oils which makes the leather go as stiff as a piece of masonite. You'll need to give it a feed of neatsfoot oil, aka NFO. But go easy with that, too much and its ruined. To make sure I give just a small amount of NFO, I have a wax & NFO mix which I apply and rub in, then buff off.

O'h dear !!! 

If it was me, 

Two options....dye it a darker colour, hide the ' mistooks' , but the blotches may still appear. 

or, as @fredk suggested...start again and learn from the experience  . 

And, so the piece of leather doesn't go to waste...... I'd be covering it in Cane Toad skins...and sell it. But it will be mighty expensive  .

I've never used daubers. Thats just me . I use large pieces of sheep skin scraps, around 2" square , cut & trimmed for large dying jobs, ....and move quickly & evenly . 

HS

21 hours ago, NicoleM said:

Hello all! I’m JUST starting out & have learned so much reading in the group! I’ve found myself in need of some help! Im making a photo album (3 ring binder) for my new baby niece. . . . .

This

I've given this more thought

Start again on a fresh piece of leather

1. its a very special present and deserves the best of the best

2. no matter what 'fixes' we can offer, it will still be a 'fix'

3. you'll spend more time, maybe wasted, which you can put to use on a new piece

4. and more cost of solutions to fix it than a piece of leather is worth

5. you'll never be happy with that fixed piece, but you will be on a new piece. You'll constantly worry if the fixed piece passes muster, but no worries that a new piece will do

6. Keep the old piece for practicing on or use parts of it in other projects

:16:

If you do decide to start a new piece and it was me I’d get a new piece of quality leather like HO or W/C.  Keep us up to date on what you decide to do and how it goes. 

13 hours ago, fredk said:

This

I've given this more thought

Start again on a fresh piece of leather

1. its a very special present and deserves the best of the best

2. no matter what 'fixes' we can offer, it will still be a 'fix'

3. you'll spend more time, maybe wasted, which you can put to use on a new piece

4. and more cost of solutions to fix it than a piece of leather is worth

5. you'll never be happy with that fixed piece, but you will be on a new piece. You'll constantly worry if the fixed piece passes muster, but no worries that a new piece will do

6. Keep the old piece for practicing on or use parts of it in other projects

i agree totally and use the first to practice ALL of what you are going to do on the finish piece before you make another mistake. I have made two things many times LOL.

23 hours ago, YinTx said:

Fiebings dye reducer if I recall is denatured alcohol.  It or isopropyl work,  I have used both.  However, I must say it may not be you, it could just be the leather.  I had this issue with some of the import leathers I had, so I tend to use specific brands now.  If you still have the issue after all the suggestions, recognize it may be the quality of the hide.

YinTx

Thank you!!!

20 hours ago, fredk said:

btw, with using all these different solutions on your leather they take out its natural oils which makes the leather go as stiff as a piece of masonite. You'll need to give it a feed of neatsfoot oil, aka NFO. But go easy with that, too much and its ruined. To make sure I give just a small amount of NFO, I have a wax & NFO mix which I apply and rub in, then buff off.

Thank you!!!

3 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

i agree totally and use the first to practice ALL of what you are going to do on the finish piece before you make another mistake. I have made two things many times LOL.

Thank you all for your time & suggestions! 

and, btw, yellow, orange and red are the hardest colours to get even

2 hours ago, fredk said:

and, btw, yellow, orange and red are the hardest colours to get even

I was wondering that! Thanks! 

On 7/8/2022 at 9:57 AM, Campleathergoods said:

When I was hand dying my projects, I found great results in a pair of latex gloves and dye gel, a couple different manufacturers make it. After using it I never went back to "traditional dye" Especially useful for larger pieces of leather, you can just massage the gel in, let it sit for a few minutes and wipe it dry. 

https://www.weaverleathersupply.com/c/product/fiebing_s_vintage_gel_8_oz_light_brown_50250_08_41/50250-08-41

Thank you!!!

Also, you will not be able to get a bright yellow with dye. You can certainly get a more even dye job with the above tips, but unless you use paint, the color will be close to what you have.

Keep in mind that a darker color will cover a lot of sins, even if it is not black.  Maybe you want it to be a "happy" color.  You might try a yellow-orange or yellow-green tint.

The best way to get an even coverage is with an airbrush (even the cheapies used for cake decorating or face/body painting) should work.

Just saying.:)

On 7/12/2022 at 8:59 AM, blue duck said:

Also, you will not be able to get a bright yellow with dye. You can certainly get a more even dye job with the above tips, but unless you use paint, the color will be close to what you have.

I don’t know why I’m not getting notifications of replies so I’m just now seeing these. Thanks for your help! 

13 hours ago, dikman said:

The best way to get an even coverage is with an airbrush (even the cheapies used for cake decorating or face/body painting) should work.

Just saying.:)

I’m going to look into that & try it next time! Thank you! 

On 7/14/2022 at 4:02 AM, Rocky143 said:

Keep in mind that a darker color will cover a lot of sins, even if it is not black.  Maybe you want it to be a "happy" color.  You might try a yellow-orange or yellow-green tint.

Thank you!!!

I was actually able to salvage it! It’s not perfect by any means but it was made with love! I used Chicago screws so I can take the binder part out & line with velvet. I’m almost done ! Thank you all for all your time & tips! 

96EACAAC-2A8F-493B-94AD-847212B7394F.jpeg

Came out pretty good!  What did you do to get it to this point?

YinTx

On 7/15/2022 at 6:02 AM, NicoleM said:

I was actually able to salvage it! It’s not perfect by any means but it was made with love! I used Chicago screws so I can take the binder part out & line with velvet. I’m almost done ! Thank you all for all your time & tips! 

96EACAAC-2A8F-493B-94AD-847212B7394F.jpeg

That came out great!

I really like the way the dye colour eventually turned out, and the paint colours are wonderful.

Very nice! I think she'll be very happy with it.

On 7/15/2022 at 8:02 PM, NicoleM said:

It’s not perfect by any means but it was made with love!

Thats what makes it  so special, not something you can buy . Looks great !! 

You've probably got more support than you imagined  . 

All good, thats what we're here for  :specool:

HS 

On 7/18/2022 at 11:13 PM, spacedog said:

That came out great!

I really like the way the dye colour eventually turned out, and the paint colours are wonderful.

Thanks so much!!!

On 7/18/2022 at 7:44 PM, YinTx said:

Came out pretty good!  What did you do to get it to this point?

YinTx

Thanks! I tried to wipe done the darker areas with alcohol but that didn’t really work. I ended up using a piece of sponge to add more dye to the lighter areas & buffing really well with an old tshirt. I’d let dry them repeat a few times.

On 7/18/2022 at 11:27 PM, tsunkasapa said:

Very nice! I think she'll be very happy with it.

I think she will too! Thank you!

That looks great! The leather has a texture to the colour, it should age well.