Sign in to follow this  
rdb

Introduction

Great work! How DID you tool the calf and how did you finish it?!?!?!?

pea-aire'

Memory is one commodity I lack these days...lol

I do remember two things: I used a LIGHT touch, and had to case well. The impressions would sometimes "puff" back up, if it wasn't right.

Even though it was calf, it was still heavier than garment leather, so I did oil them up before finish. Back in those days, I used Feibing's stuff, and Tandy, but I also had access to all the commercial products used by the Shoe industry back then, and I MAY have used their stuff (mostly wax and oil combination stuff...more conditioner than anything else). I just don't remember...sorry. The prototype my buddy has is still as supple thirty some years later. So whatever I did..I did TOO good...lol

After seeing Mike's Basketweave, which was awesome, I thought I might try something.

At the shop I sell my straps, there was a "sunburst" electric gitar, I wanted to match colors to. I'm too rusty to match anyone's skills here, but just to dip my toes I combined the sunburst idea with a basketweave. I "stretched" the weave, it's not easy to line up that way, there's a few mistakes if you look close, but overall the whole thing gave me the sortof effect I was looking for.

Antique tan as the base. Med. brown dye along the edges, with a hint of black along the very edge. I applied the brown, and black with just a cloth, rubbed very well off on the back of scrap leather, until almost dry, then lightly rubbed it on the strap...not great, but overall, not bad. What do You think?

HPIM0465__Large_.JPG

post-5140-1194014691_thumb.jpg

I give the effort two thumbs up! You know, I've been wanting to experiment with that "light in the middle, darker around the edges" look. I've seen that used nicely here on motorcycle seats and other items...

Thanks Alex. I think most of the pros use an airbrush for this effect. It probably looks better, but for non-production, this is a simple method.