chuck123wapati

8" skiver project

Been working on this in my spare time. I finally got the blade finished. The hardest part was finding a suitable roller. The roller is made from the guts of three old shocks from my truck. This is one of those i think i can projects lol. I haven't finished but it worked so i couldn't wait to post a few pics. I still need to do some tinkering and adjusting and will add an oak base to it to be bolted down lol.

skivebuild1.JPG

skivebuild2.JPG

skivebuild3.JPG

skivebuild4.JPG

skivebuild5.JPG

That’s neet. Good job on the project. 

2 minutes ago, Thescandall said:

That’s neet. Good job on the project. 

thank you. 

20 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

Nice job.

thank you.

2 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Been working on this in my spare time.

That is a really nice useful item. Excellent work.

kgg

COOL,  Like a mad scientist in his lab

Man it looks professional  

1 hour ago, kgg said:

That is a really nice useful item. Excellent work.

kgg

hopefully it will be lol I hate skiving by hand.

51 minutes ago, Frodo said:

COOL,  Like a mad scientist in his lab

Man it looks professional  

Thanks it helps to have a yard full of mad scientist junk  to play with LOl you should see me when i get the forge warmed up. 

11 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

hopefully it will be lol I hate skiving by hand.

Thanks it helps to have a yard full of mad scientist junk  to play with LOl you should see me when i get the forge warmed up. 

need an RR spikes? 

My local junk yard is my playground.  I get all excited when I see a dryer motor

Just now, Frodo said:

need an RR spikes? 

My local junk yard is my playground.  I get all excited when I see a dryer motor

the creeps here wont let you recycle. i have plenty rr spikes lol,

You need to look for old treadmills they have heavy duty variable speed motors and electronics  in those babies.

I admire your all-round skills to make this

20 minutes ago, fredk said:

I admire your all-round skills to make this

thank you Fred i appreciate that.

32 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

the creeps here wont let you recycle. i have plenty rr spikes lol,

You need to look for old treadmills they have heavy duty variable speed motors and electronics  in those babies.

treadmill?   My brass tumbler is a tread mill

brass tumbler #3 001 - video Dailymotion

brass after tumbling

bling_bling.png.5558d251b34384b3e4f451bdf7ab90de.png

47 minutes ago, Frodo said:

treadmill?   My brass tumbler is a tread mill

brass tumbler #3 001 - video Dailymotion

lol mine is an electric ice cream maker with rice.

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

lol mine is an electric ice cream maker with rice.

I went wet.  SS pins,   dawn dish soap, lemon shine  hot water

8 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Been working on this in my spare time. I finally got the blade finished. The hardest part was finding a suitable roller. The roller is made from the guts of three old shocks from my truck. This is one of those i think i can projects lol. I haven't finished but it worked so i couldn't wait to post a few pics. I still need to do some tinkering and adjusting and will add an oak base to it to be bolted down lol.

skivebuild1.JPG

skivebuild2.JPG

skivebuild3.JPG

skivebuild4.JPG

skivebuild5.JPG

Chuck, I am sorry but you forgot to post the sign out sheet, for when we can use it, we promise to give it back :whatdoyouthink:

Very clever, Chuck.:specool: A couple of questions, I assume the two long bolts are for height adjustment and the two pairs of bolts are for back/forth adjustment? How are the two pairs tightened as they appear to be in slots and I don't see any nuts, and how is the blade attached to the top plate?

Edit:just noticed the two bolts on the back are for back/forth adjustment? But I still don't see how the two pairs of bolts are attached to the slotted pieces?

Edited by dikman

I think you need to post a video using it so we can all get jealous ;)

29 minutes ago, dikman said:

Very clever, Chuck.:specool: A couple of questions, I assume the two long bolts are for height adjustment and the two pairs of bolts are for back/forth adjustment? How are the two pairs tightened as they appear to be in slots and I don't see any nuts, and how is the blade attached to the top plate?

Edit:just noticed the two bolts on the back are for back/forth adjustment? But I still don't see how the two pairs of bolts are attached to the slotted pieces?

Thank you. the two long bolts are for height /thickness. the two bolts on the back are for setting the blade fore or aft of top center via the angle piece, it sets behind the blade.   the two pairs on top hold the top plate and blade in place they aren't in slots in the top plate it is for holding the blade in place the blade is slotted underneath to allow for adjustment fore and aft. Under the roller shaft are two more bolts with springs under them in holes in the wood they add tension upward  to the roller they also have a nut on each so the tension is adjustable also.

2 hours ago, rleather said:

Chuck, I am sorry but you forgot to post the sign out sheet, for when we can use it, we promise to give it back :whatdoyouthink:

I'll see what i can do lol.

32 minutes ago, Tequila said:

I think you need to post a video using it so we can all get jealous ;)

I may when i get the bugs worked out and prettied up.

43 minutes ago, dikman said:

the earlier pictures dont show the slots in the blade where the holes are drilled

Very very cool....

And I know that a lot of people won't understand the "why" of such things.  

Like why I want to spend a couple of grand on a machinists mill, another couple thousand on a machinists lathe...just so I can make a clock because I didn't like the price they wanted for the clock I liked.  (I got started in leather because I wanted a particular tool bag made a particular way and couldn't find one) 

But everyone has their own way of going about doing things.  

And necessity is the mother of all invention.  

1 hour ago, johnnydb said:

Very very cool....

And I know that a lot of people won't understand the "why" of such things.  

Like why I want to spend a couple of grand on a machinists mill, another couple thousand on a machinists lathe...just so I can make a clock because I didn't like the price they wanted for the clock I liked.  (I got started in leather because I wanted a particular tool bag made a particular way and couldn't find one) 

But everyone has their own way of going about doing things.  

And necessity is the mother of all invention.  

Thank you,  I hear that! I think its human nature to want to create. I come from a family that has always made /built /created in some form. Mom an excellent seamstress, dad a mechanic always with more time than money lol always enforced our creative nature. i cant afford a quality built one and wont buy a chinamo brand piece of junk that i would have to re build anyway lol.

A lathe and mill would be friggin awesome!!!!!!!