bladegrinder

picked up my Cowboy 4500

On 7/17/2022 at 7:32 AM, Handstitched said:

I've never had a job that needed that thickness, but nice to know it can do it. 

HS

My Tippmann Boss will also sew pretty much that thick.  In over 20 years . . . only had one job that needed that thickness . . . a very special .22 pistol holster . . . it was for a handgun with a scope on top of it.

I used the machine to punch the holes . . . then hand sewed the 35 or so stitches.  It was a fun project . . . but I'm sure glad I have never had to make a bunch of them.  

Now however . . . with the Cowboy . . . it would not be as hard.

May God bless,

Dwight

1 hour ago, bladegrinder said:

Well after some practice on this machine I did a knife sheath. I've never done a pancake style so that's what I tried for a small skinner I finished recently. first, the design is a little off with the vertical stitches not close enough to the knife so I ended up with bad retention. lesson learned. I messed up one of the stitches on the top left going around the belt cut out, and lastly... there's not a 2" oblong punch available on the planet right now so I tried hole punches and cutting them out with a razor. :oops: that doomed this to some kind of tool holder for around the shop but things are going to get better each time I get on this machine I can feel it. I've got a pile of scraps with all kind of mistakes so I'm learning!

dMkii6X.jpg

gx4Ah3B.jpg

0i0ci0E.jpg

That is some pretty fine looking stitching going on there in my opinion. With your crew punch holes, you may find a bit of practice with a pointy tip soldering iron could help. I run one through a light dimmer switch to keep the temperature down. Other thing I just thought, I have made up my own crew punches at times using seamless pipe. I make a steel piece up first the shape of the hole to help hammer the pipe into shape after I have flattened the pipe down a bit. I heat up with a gas blow torch and tap away until the shape is getting close then drive the pre made punch down into the hole and tap away some more. Grind the tip shape and finish off with a polish. I then find a bolt that is a little loose fit on the hammering end and put some tape on to keep it in place while I use the punch. You want it loose enough to take out to empty the cut out pieces.

Bladegrinder, there's nothing wrong with your stitching, it's just your oblong holes, they don't fit properly.:)

Springfield Leather has 2” oblong punches in stock 

I just ordered the only one they had in stock, their Craftsman brand. I really didn't like the looks of it over the Osborne but I can't find any other ones anywhere. I hope it works ok.

I have a pretty well equipped knife making shop so I should be able to make it work if it needs to be tweeked.

I don't have oblong hole punches that big , so instead, I use a 10-12mm hole punch at both ends, and carefully  cut the hole out using a flat ( sharp)  1" wood  chisel. A bit unorthodox, but it works and I have a nice neat straight hole, and then bevell & burnish the outer edges.   :) . 

HS

Edited by Handstitched

I tried that on this one, hole punches and a razor knife, maybe a chisel would work better for me but after the last botched job I'm just going to get a 2" punch.

On 7/12/2022 at 9:37 PM, Dwight said:

hello, I’m currently looking at purchasing this machine used. The problem is that I currently only do smaller stuff. What is the attachment that you are referencing?

I got the table attachment with mine . . . loosened up those height adjustment bolts . . . let it ALL THE WAY DOWN.

Then . . . I removed the two pedals . . . re-drilled the mounting holes for them . . . moved them as far back as I could on the platform.

Got me a stool . . . and life is so much better.

I also got this   https://www.ebay.com/itm/164394345099?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649    to hold extra spools of thread . . . was cheap enough  . . . and I've got all my most used threads out front there . . . just grab the end and thread it.

You'll really like that if you are any relation to me . . . one heck of a great machine.

Holler at me some day if you get interested in doing some smaller stuff and start thinking about another machine.  There's an attachment you can get from Australia for a hundred bucks . . . lets you do small cases with thinner thread . . . etc.  Makes your machine a WHOLE BUNCH more useful.

May God bless,

Dwight