Rylando

Losing stitch at the same spot everytime

I’m making a steno padfolio based on the makers leather pattern, and no matter what chrome tan I use I always seem to lose stitch at this exact spot. 

the top thread starts getting fuzzy/ripped looking, I look down and sure enough I’ve lost stitch. I’ve tried full thickness (4-5oz or 5-6oz) layer, I’ve tried skiving it like this piece, nothing seems to help. I can sew it upside down so the increase in height is on the top side, and it’ll sew fine, but I don’t like having the backside needleholes on the “front” of the piece. No matter how many times I try and re-sew it it’ll fray the top thread and lose stitch every time, getting very frustrating. 

this is on a highlead GC0618-1-SC I’ve fit a servo motor to. 

help! 

CBC80D4E-9CA4-4E0F-BE8A-186C6DDC0C2A.jpeg

EDDC56CB-8A98-4236-B4C2-D60F7BA4A344.jpeg

I'd check your hook for burrs and also check hook the timing but I'd suspect something on the hook is abrading the top thread.  It gets pretty thick there and the tension it takes to pull the top thread down will increase with the thickness

Four things I would look at.

Take up spring.  Should release before take-up descends to bottom.

Timing  Adjust needle down a touch 1/32" , if it gets worse go up.

Timing  I assume lower shaft is keyed, I would see if hook is to far from the needle

Thread release.  Make sure thread is not releasing as feet go to second layer

16 hours ago, Rylando said:

the top thread starts getting fuzzy/ripped looking, I look down and sure enough I’ve lost stitch.

You never mentioned the size of the thread or the size of needle you are using. You may have to move up a size larger needle. I would replace the needle anyway first.

kgg

Edited by kgg
spelling