ZigZag

Needle tip shape fr heavy canvas

I’m familiar with the diamond shape tip with leather and how it sets the stitch. I also sew a lot of heavy canvas and currently use a simple round point 135/17 size 19 needle with v92 thread using a Juki 1508. I’ve seen all sorts of shaped needle tips on offer from Schmetz. Are there any alternatives worth trying? The objective is to improve the quality of the stitch. 
I’ve tried using diamond needles but they tend to slice the canvas fibres leaving a slightly fluffy underside.

thanks 

you want to use round points on canvas.  It pieces vs. cuts which all leather points do.

glenn

Now for the kicker.....  what point do you use when sewing heavy canvas to leather, like a linemans canvas and leather bucket??

God bless.

Mike

If you don't want to take a chance to cut the weave of the canvas a round point would work best.

Thank you Bob!

God bless

I use the same  ( leather) needle for both leather & canvas .  Too much down time forever changing needles . Doesn't look any different   :)

HS

Thanks for the replies, looks like sticking with the round points. But I think I might have a tweak with the bobbin tension to see if I can tidy the stitches up. I rerouted the spool to first machine twist post, which I think has helped untwist the thread, so looking neater.