Brokenolmarine

The Second Pouch for the Daughter

Some of you might remember I made a pouch for my MIddle Daughter here in Oklahoma who must carry the Epipens when she leaves home.  Her nylon pouches weren't lasting long.  It was a learning experience.  I applied some of those lessons to a second pouch that I promised, and also we decided that the second pouch would be veg tanned that I could tool, giving her a Dress Pouch to use when she would somewhere nice.

The lessons?

First: Extreme care in alignment of the side and top holes is key to ease of sewing.

Second:  I drilled the holes that went thru the top, with a fine bit.  Smaller holes, neater stitch line.

Third: Care to insure the exit of the angled (Awled ) holes in the vertical sides, exited in the center of the edge.

Forth: I used a larger waxed thread to fill the holes and improve the look and balance with the project size.

Last: I took a very sharp pencil and poke it into and twisted it in, every hole, from the back side.  This left a lead bullseye in the holes, so they were easy to see. NO probing trying to locate a hole.

Here is the result:

1765842976_16completed.thumb.jpg.d5de223f881a3e55cecdf4c07f1b2c87.jpg

525093584_17SideView.thumb.jpg.2402b774b2c669b92880dd96a9dca8c4.jpg

I knocked out a few strips of tooled leather and applied the four choices of Watco Oil finish to let her choose the one she liked, and texted her the picture.  She chose Golden Oak.  It would have been my first choice as well, with Natural as my second. 

673250241_18roughfinishsamples.thumb.jpg.af8877189b6155eff5f0da0f5fbfc696.jpg

I was going to wait to apply the finish, as I plan to make a matching leather lanyard with brass hooks, but couldn't wait for her to measure the lanyard for me.  I wanted to see the pouch with the finish on it. :dunno:

I had to go back out to the shop this afternoon to put away the tools we used installing a louvered vent fan in the wife's feed room in the cow barn, and the bench was calling.  I went ahead and applied the Golden Oak.  I am very pleased with the look.  The finish is very even after two passes.  The lighter appearance in the center is drying or the lighting of a poor photographer.. :rolleyes2:  I'm sure she will love it.  Once I get the shoulder strap done, I'll add another pic.  I plan to run the Serpentine pattern up the strap.

1988245839_20secondview.thumb.jpg.3ad7eabe448f0a70deb4b65e144d06a1.jpg

Nice trick with the lead pencil. Gonna have to try that. Old eyes need a break B)

Edited by Resurgam3191

Strap will 55 inches long.

man that looks great!!

That's absolutely gorgeous! And you've put such a nice (and thoughtful) spin on having to carry Epi-pens. I'm sure your daughter will cherish it. :)

Nicely done.  Can't wait to see the strap.  

I worked on the strap for the last three days, slow and steady.  I ran a serpentine (running w) up the center.  Burnished the edges.  Measured and marked, then folded, glued, and stitched the snaps onto the ends.  The strap got a coating of Golden Oak Watco Oil as well.  I used my Glass Plate burnisher on the back, then Oiled it.  I'll let it hang to dry for a day or so, then wax it and the pouch with British Bee's Wax.  Then the project will be done.

1797295096_06done.thumb.jpg.5f61a868ff21cd6f86e397b1258361bc.jpg

2027925519_11closerlook.thumb.jpg.4ad10b45b2013bb52c26274a930baebb.jpg

The strap joins the pouch at the D-Rings attached to the back ....

1101635389_11saddlestitched.thumb.jpg.669476d43a7ccfe1c04160b7273eafc1.jpg

It should look really nice when it's all dried and waxed.  She'll wear the strap diagonally across her chest with the pouch hanging over her left hip.

You rock man anyone that makes their own patterns plus pull them of as nice as you did is a true leather craftsman. IMO

Thanks, but that serpentine pattern came direct from a youtube video.  The only change I sometimes make to it is with a couple deft cuts with a swivel knife I'll close the end like the bottom of a heart, then add the asterisk flower center for an "eye" and boom... The serpentine pattern instantly becomes a serpent. :thumbsup:. I like that look.  I do sit and play with the various tools trying to find different borders, and save offcuts to practice borders and stitching on.  Border practice can relieve boredom.

Edited by Brokenolmarine