ftnpenlvr

My toolbox(es)

I am still at a scale where I do not really have a dedicated space for leatherwork.  My slab of stone goes on my lap, my tools need to be something I can pack up and put on a shelf so I can use the horizontal surfaces for other work and hobbies.  I'll get there, but, not yet.  

I was in our local Re-Store (love that place) and stumbled across this old steel drill case, and though, my mauls would fit where the drill goes, and I bet I can put some of my stamps in the holes for drill bits.  So, I brought it home for $15, and start randomly sticking things in there.  I put some pluck foam in the top shelf, and used that to shove more stamps in.  It worked, but, the foam started tearing, and getting sloppy looking, so, I drilled a bunch of holes in a piece of 2x4 that I cut the edges off of to make it fit.  

Now, all my "working tools" go in there, with the exception of the stone. 

My sewing tools, notions and the like go into a cantilevered toolbox, my dyes and pastes go into a third, my airbrushes go into a fourth, and I have bought a Worx Sidekick table to be something I can work on when I need to.  I hope to do some road shows at local farmer's markets and other craft fairs, so, having everything be collapsible to stick in the back of my car is a must.  When we are watching TV at night, I can bring my case and stone up and whack on leather, then put it all away when I get ready to go to bed.

Hopefully, this helps somebody else out, as, like so many others, I struggled with keeping tools organized and portable, until I can set myself up with a dedicated workspace.

working_toolbox.jpg

PS - the only working and stamping tools I can't fit in here (yet) are my big 3d figure stamps, handle, and my 30-oz maul, which stays on the shelf unless I am using one of those big stamps...  I want to find a way to attach some straps so I can put my stone on the side, and be able to just pick the whole thing up and go.  I am sure it is doable - just have to tinker a bit to figure it out...

Very creative.  I have done the craft shows (motorcycle accessories, not leather) and having everything quickly mobile is key.

Thanks!  Certainly has been convenient to be able to just slip the toolboxes, portable table, lights, car tent, and hides in the back of the car.

Up here in NH, we have a twice annual "swap meet" for motorcycles and classic cars.  I was going to go to the one back in June, but, the wife was feeling poorly, so, I skipped it.  Hoping I can get to the one later this year, show off my seat and some other goodies, and drum up some business to keep busy during the "Why oh why did I move here" months that everybody else calls "Winter". 

great repurposing idea indeed well worth the effort too, anything that makes life easier imo.

So, rhe next phase in that toolbox is going to be putting some leather straps on the side/bottom, to make a harness for my stone.  The stone fits nicely, but, is heavy. I have no doubt it is going to stretch the leather some, so, thinking if u can "pre-stretch" to get some if that play out, that may help minimize distortion later.  Thoughts?

On 7/19/2022 at 7:46 AM, ftnpenlvr said:

so, I drilled a bunch of holes in a piece of 2x4 that I cut the edges off of to make it fit.  

Gee, guess what I use as a tool rack? :yes:

14 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Gee, guess what I use as a tool rack? :yes:

No doubt.  One of my buddies recently got a 3D scanner, so, I may ask him to scan and print something a little smoother and more uniform...

Bit the bullet and just did it.  Grabbed a couple straps of my 7-8 oz leather, wet, and stretched by hand. Let them dry, and riveted into place.  Now, everything that I use for my tooling is in one small contained box.  Sewing, airbrushing, painting, dying - well, that's a different story!  But, I can tool most anywhere by grabbing that one box, sticking it in the car, and going there.  If I want to go set up at a craft fair, or some other such (local renaissance faires seem an option), I can grab that, my portable table (Worx Sidekick), pop-up canopy, finishing supplies, leather sides, and still fit it all in my car, and be set up and ready to tool in a few minutes.  I would still like to find a collapsible stool that is tall enough to sit at that table, but, for now, I can stand...