YinTx

Starting an informative series of Leatherwork Videos

I am making a purse using a Don Gonzales pattern, and showing how I do it, which is likely very different from how many others do.  Here is part 1:

I tried to implement some of the suggestions from everyone on my last video, and remain open to suggestions on improvement.  I still need to work out things like attractive thumbnails.  

YinTx

I subscribed you do fine work my friend

1 hour ago, Simplejack1985 said:

I subscribed you do fine work my friend

Wow, thank you kindly!

YinTx

I have a question, will you be doing beginner or advanced videos. This was much better but not much to it. I realize it is very difficult to do. I like your style for trying.   

1 hour ago, Bawarrior said:

I have a question, will you be doing beginner or advanced videos. This was much better but not much to it. I realize it is very difficult to do. I like your style for trying.   

Thanks for the comment.  I don't think this is very advanced, but in the end it may be a bit more than beginner.  I think if someone wants advanced, then paying for a course from someone like Jim Linnell will help more than my videos.  If you've never done it, you will get some clues watching what I have put together.  If you have done it before, you will see maybe a different way.  This part 1 video is short, I am trying to keep them under 7 minutes, not sure how it will go as I progress.  This just means I have to create multiple videos to get through the whole project, so as not to have a 1 hour video.  I am in the progress of editing part 2, carving the pattern, and it is about the same length.  After that will be tooling, then dye work.  

I am surprised at how much time goes into making a decent video, especially if you are learning  that process at the same time!

YinTx

Good job Yin! I like the style, the font etc. If I might nit pick slightly, firstly I think some aspects could be shorter and secondly, if you are aiming at beginners, they won't understand terms like "casing solution", hell I don't understand what "casing solution" is, I thought it was just water but then I'm not a tooler. One last point, a genuine question, does the painters tape stick to damp leather? Or maybe put it on before casing? I've never seen blue painters tape over here in the UK.

I'm not a tooler but I know your work and I will be following. I'm sure I'll learn lots.

Kudos to you for taking the time to put this together.  It is not an easy task.  I am guessing for that sub 7 minute video, there are over several hours of work that went into it.  Great job.  Suggestion - I love the music you chose, may just want to turn it down and leave it at the same volume throughout rather than having it louder when you aren't talking.

11 hours ago, toxo said:

Good job Yin! I like the style, the font etc. If I might nit pick slightly, firstly I think some aspects could be shorter and secondly, if you are aiming at beginners, they won't understand terms like "casing solution", hell I don't understand what "casing solution" is, I thought it was just water but then I'm not a tooler. One last point, a genuine question, does the painters tape stick to damp leather? Or maybe put it on before casing? I've never seen blue painters tape over here in the UK.

I'm not a tooler but I know your work and I will be following. I'm sure I'll learn lots.

Thank you.  I tried to keep it as short as I could, will focus more on that for the next ones.  I may make separate videos for casing solution, we'll see.  Just water does work, btw!  The painters tape will stick some to cased leather, but not wet leather.  I usually put it on afterwards, it gets more aggressive after tooling, so you have to work a bit to get it off.  It will come off easier than regular tape for sure tho.

YinTx

11 hours ago, PastorBob said:

Kudos to you for taking the time to put this together.  It is not an easy task.  I am guessing for that sub 7 minute video, there are over several hours of work that went into it.  Great job.  Suggestion - I love the music you chose, may just want to turn it down and leave it at the same volume throughout rather than having it louder when you aren't talking.

Yes, many hours for me.  In fact, probably 8 hours trying to figure it all out for each video.  I expect to get much faster as I move along.  I'll try to even out  the music volume some.  Thanks for the compliment!

YinTx

Yin don't get me wrong, big fan of your work. I can't figure what you want to do that many before you have done. I basically have learned my skills from videos. This is a lot of work, by why. I will probably regret I opened this can of worms.  

47 minutes ago, Bawarrior said:

This is a lot of work, by why. I will probably regret I opened this can of worms.

Heheh yeah, I'll probably be asking myself both of those questions, and regret the can of worms myself.  :)

I may only ever do this one series, I may do many, just depends on the reception.  I think part of it is to give leatherworkers a different take, my antiquing process and tooling is a bit different I think.  Also, to give my work a bit more of a wider audience, very few folks see what I do or how it is done.  Even friends that know me don't know really what I am doing.

YinTx

OK Yin! This is just my opinion and I only say to help and maybe show a different viewpoint.

Back to the painters tape - I'm thinking it will stick much better if applied when dry, also hold the casing longer maybe. Don't know, never used it but tape is tape right. And maybe explain somehow how much the leather will expand under what techniques especially for people who want to make something to fit in a frame.

The videos - With the amount of content out there these days you have to do everything you can to hold their attention before they move on to something else. You have to be ruthless. I think you could shorten it by half and not lose anything important. Doing one video on something as simple as casing on it's own would be a definite no no. more content but only long enough to get the point/technique across and move on. If aiming at beginners you have to think like a beginner. For instance, would a beginner know to search for "casing leather"?

Love the intro and the structure and wanna see more vids. You're almost there. Good luck.

16 hours ago, toxo said:

OK Yin! This is just my opinion and I only say to help and maybe show a different viewpoint.

I do appreciate it.  I'll work my way through the kinks more and more as I go along, just thought I'd give it a go and see how it goes for me.  I'll consider all the suggestions and add them in wherever I can.  I've already done some more video work, so I won't be able to add in everything right away, but with time I think they'll continue to improve.

You are right about keeping folks attention!  the analytics show where folks drop off, and when they stay on.  Very interesting thing to look at.

YinTx

6 hours ago, YinTx said:

the analytics show where folks drop off, and when they stay on.  Very interesting thing to look at.

I think you should go slow or even use slow motion to show a difficult or intricate technique, in fact it will be appreciated but for me I can't do slow for no reason. There's one guy in particular talks so slow I can't watch more than about 30 seconds.

8 hours ago, toxo said:

but for me I can't do slow for no reason. There's one guy in particular talks so slow I can't watch more than about 30 seconds.

waaaaaiiittt a minute there.  I resemble both comments!  Prolly talk to slow, and watch all those youtube videos at 2x whenever I can!

Hard to know what is difficult or intricate to others, but if I find it important I tend to do some voiceover to explain what happened.  I think with time I may discover more and more what folks want to see more of.  Or less of!

14 hours ago, JonesCoLeatherworks said:

You are truly gifted.  I'll refer to you with any customer requests!!

Perhaps undeserving, but thank you much!

YinTx

Have a listen to Arthur. He's probably a really nice man but I can't handle it. This is not one of his worst.

Edited by toxo

2 hours ago, toxo said:

Have a listen to Arthur. He's probably a really nice man but I can't handle it. This is not one of his worst

Yeah, I hope I'm not that slow!  But he does have over 18,000 views on a 5+ hour video...

YinTx