ghstrydr164

making my own Stamps

I don't know if I missed this, but has anyone tried improving their tools rather than start from scratch?

SkipJ

I make my own tools: mallets and head maul with nylon 3" (they aren't the best fot stamping), hole punch, some strap end punch, groovers, adjustable U and V gauge, edge bevelers, an adjustable creaser, an awl, a lacing-stitching pony, wood folders and wood slicking sticks, and my knives for cutting leather... my tools are "made at home", simple but working, only with steel, wood or brass, a Dremel, grinder, sandpaper and file. Now I'm making a strap cutter with my design and a new handle swivel knife with a lathe for metal tube. If you have a minimum of knowledge and some tools of carpentry, woodturner, plumber or blacksmith, everybody can do it. I assist sometimes to courses of do-it-youself, I look for the tutorials in a web site and I have read some book about.

DSC01630.jpg

DSC01514.jpg

DSC01433.jpg

DSC01472.jpg

I don't know if I missed this, but has anyone tried improving their tools rather than start from scratch?

SkipJ

Skip, I have done some of this with craftools. I modified backgrounders (104s, and 888s) so that they fit in close spaces like corners. I have cleaned up 912s, 913s and 914s to give nicer impressions (In my mind that is). I have also smoothed down veiners to have a thinner body. Done the same with stops and the triangled figured bevelers in order to make it easier to get in tight spots. That is why I like to have extras of these tools from ebay purchases to tinker with. Oh, I have also tinkered with bevellers to make them smaller in width and in depth. Since I found the Sheridan bevelers, there is no need to make them smaller in depth. carlb

Thank you so much. I find this conversation very intresting. I have been looking for some tools (am not sure they even are available). With the information you all have giving here is giving me some ideas.

I am kinda new to leather crafting. It has been years since I did anything and am just getting back into it. Now you have got me intrested in making my own tools.

Thanks again. Anymore hints?

How about a tutorial from one of you guys, with photos showing the steps to make a couple of simple stamping tools? I don't know about others, but I am a visual learner, and photos of the process would be very helpful to me. Cash for stamps is becoming very thin, but I have alot of nuts and bolts hanging around my garage with nothing to do..Jordan... plus it will give me a chance to learn how to use my atlas lathe.

Atlas4.jpg

post-4868-1197084060_thumb.jpg

How has this thread been around for over a month and I just found it today???

This is a great topic, I have been wanting to try making some tools since I started working with leather.

The pictures of tools you guys have made look amazing. It seems to me that the stamping end is made from the bolt head?

I know that the SS bolts can cost as much as a new crafttool stamp but I think that making your own tools can be just as enjoyable as leather carving.

I will be trying my hand at this very soon, Thank you for starting a great thread with some great information and some much needed inspiration.

Jordon,

I have almost the exact lathe in my basement right now, just needs a belt.

John

if could be so nice as to break this up into steps, and if we ar so lucky as for you to provide pics, I think it would help a bunch of people.I myself am also a visual learner and try to be very methodical when I do stuff. if things were broken down into easy to follow steps, it would help to get alot more people on thier way to at least modifying thier tools.dont let my boss hear this :thumbsdown: , but I would like to buy some of the crappy 5th or 6th generation tools that we sell from craftool and clean them up a bit so that they would work decently.if you had the time and resources, you could even write a small phamplet on how to modify or make your own tools.im sure quite a few people would be more than willing to spend some money purchasing it. :whatdoyouthink:

I am happy to write up something on how i make my tools... i have pretty simple equipment (bench grinder, dremel, files), but no lathe, and I still experiment with different ways to do things, so no two tools are alike. Mine are not as nice as ghostryder's, so hopefully he and others can write up something as well. Mine are improving, but anything i say or write is intended to get you started, and hopefully you can take it and improve on it. If several people write something, we will all learn more...

John D - I buy SS bolts for about $2 each or less so they are cheaper than new craftools. Some of the tools are made from the head of the bolt, but if the tool head is smaller than the diamater of the bolt, i just saw the head off (a small beveler for example).

Duke, the world of leathercraft would not be where it is without the mass produced tools by Tandy. If people are happy with their hobby, the retail stores will get their share of the business. So encouraging crafters to make their own tools, modify mass production tools, etc will ultimately benefit the craft, which benefits everyone in the business.

[/font]

Making your own tools

12-8-07

Tools I used for this project

Bench grinder

Mill file

Coarse emery cloth

Medium emery cloth

600 grit wet/dry sandpaper

1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper

Rag wheel on bench grinder, with Ryobi stainless polishing compound

Rag wheel on hand held drill with white rouge

Brownells checkering file – 75 Lines per inch

Hacksaw (to cut the threads off)

Magnifying glasses

I work on tools away from my leather bench… you don't want metal filings on your bench or on your leather.

For this project, I am going to make a Sheridan style thumbprint. Pear shaders and Thumbprints are easiest to make because they relatively easy, and I, for one, like to have a variety – different sizes, long lined, cross lined, cross hatched, etc., and if they are slightly different shapes, so much the better. Thumbprints have a flatter bottom and are not generally walked like a pearshader, so this particular tool is pretty flat, but make it any way that suits you. Also, many thumbprints don't taper to a point on the end, and are used essentially as two different tools – each end is a different size and can be used as needed. However, I like having a more tapered end that will fit into the end of my "stickers" or "vines", whatever you call them.

Leaf liners and center liners are easy too – they look flat on the face but have a slight curvature.

Bevelers have to be shaped right or they leave tracks, and you want you different size bevellers to have the same angle, so they are a little tougher, but not too bad.

For the thumbprint in this project, the general process I followed is:

1. I use stainless steel bolts, at least 5.5 inches long (I have started using 6"). I typically use 3 sizes – ¼, 5/16, and 3/8. The smaller ones are less than $2 each, and the larger are just over $2. You can use regular bolts or nails or anything, just check for corrosion before you use it – just stamp it on some scrap. I used regular zinc covered bolts for a while, and they work just fine – I have several that are part of my regularly used tools.

2. Leave the bolt threads on – you can use that to clamp in your vise while you work, then saw them off. I like tools with a final length of either 4.25" or 4.5" long.

3. Draw the rough shape of your tool on the bolt head with a Sharpie. This gives you a rough idea of how much metal to remove on a grinder before you get to the more detailed work.

4. Use a grinder to rough out the outside shape – I do this very rough. I don't try to do any curvature with a grinder (for example, I don't do the bottom of a shader with the grinder). Picture 1 is the tool and the impression when I finish with the grinder. Note it is very rough, and large. The grinder is just for bulk metal removal… but it takes too much off too fast to be used for detail work.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n44/robertw_2006/IMG_4390.jpg

5. Once you have the rough shape, use a mill file to give you tool shape. I find it easiest to have a finished tool to compare to as I go. Many tools have subtle curves that you don't really notice until you try to make your own. Stamp your new tool into test leather often to make sure you are getting the shape you want. Note the second impression – it is a little smaller, and has a little more shape. This is about the point I stop using the file and go to emory cloth.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n44/robertw_2006/IMG_4394.jpg

6. Continue to refine the shape. Once you are happy with the rough shape, use coarse emory cloth to put the final shape to it. Impression #3 is about the point at which I stopped using the coarse emory cloth. The scrap in the picture is to give you an idea of how often I am testing the stamp as I go.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n44/robertw_2006/IMG_4395.jpg

7. Continue to refine the shape - use medium emory cloth then 600 grit to work out the grinder and file marks. Impression #4 is taken while I was using the medium emory cloth. See how much smaller the stamp is getting? Don't take too much off with the grinder… it is easy to make a tool smaller, but you can't make it larger!

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n44/robertw_2006/IMG_4396.jpg

8. At this point, I will clean up the tool and take it to my bench and do some testing with it. Typically, that leads me back to step 6 with the coarse emory cloth. Repeat as many times as necessary (hey, nobody said this was simple J). Impression #5 is taken while I was working with the 600 grit paper in the testing stage. See on the face of the tool – you can see very fine marks that I haven't worked out yet – I will work those out too.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n44/robertw_2006/IMG_4398.jpg

9. Once you like the shape, use 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper to put a nice polish on it. Then I put the smooth tool to use and make sure it walks if it is a walking tool, and just generally make sure it is going to work.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n44/robertw_2006/IMG_4399.jpg

6. Then polish with a rag wheel on a bench grinder (I use rouge for stainless first, followed by a different wheel with white rouge on it). Then it is time for the lining tool. On this tool, I am using a 75 LPI file from Brownells (www.brownells.com). I try to get one end of the tool face, then line it up and get the other end of the tool face. I use magnifying glasses to get the lines lined up after I have run the file across the face once. It is tough to line them up, and takes practice. Don't be afraid to file off the lines and start again. The good news is that, even it isn't perfect, nobody will notice on your leather! I studied one of my good tools from a custom maker under a magnifying glass, and the lines aren't perfect, but you can't tell that in the stamp impression.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n44/robertw_2006/IMG_4400.jpg

7. Then back to the scrap, to test some more now that the lining is done.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n44/robertw_2006/IMG_4402.jpg

8. Once you are happy with it, take a fine brush and some household cleaner (even a tooth brush) and clean out any filings, and clean up the metal dust. Then cut the tool to the right length with a hacksaw and clean up the rough end. Do some final polishing, then you have your finished tool!

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n44/robertw_2006/IMG_4403.jpg

9. Here are a few tools I have made. There are a couple of leaf liners, a small and a medium thumbprint, a set of fine bevelers (75 LPI) and a set of coarser bevelers (50 LPI), and a veiner.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n44/robertw_2006/IMG_4404.jpg

I will probably put these tools on E-bay over time, so if anybody wants any of them, let me know.

Hope this is helpful. Have fun… jump in and start filing – that's the best way to learn.

Edited by robert

Robert, excellent. Thanks for taking the time.

John

Great post, Robert! I had just picked up some steel bolts to play with and was doing some experimenting with my dremel tool, and your tutorial answered a bunch of questions that were collecting in my brain as I played. I've really got the bug to make some of my own stamps now (as if I have nothing else to do - ha!).

Thanks so much for taking the time to write that up and snap some WIP photos.

Kate

I spent a little time today to make a pear shader, I'm happy with the finished product, as it seems to work very well. The only problem is that it leaves a black stain as I shade. I made it out of mild steel that I had sitting around. Is this the reason for the staining, or perhaps my leather was too wet? I had made a lifter out of an old screwdriver before that did the same thing, but not all the time.

The pear shader was only for practice and I plan to try again when I pick up some stainless bolts, but if I do use mild steel again, will zinc plating prevent the staining?

John

whether stainless or zinc, mine leave a black stain until i get all the metal dust out of the lining and off the tool (it is essentially the same thing as when you strop your knife blade - you have to get the metal off or it will stain). I have not had a tool that just kept doing that though, even after it had been stamped a number of times. I am at a loss - my only suggestion would be to stamp it a bunch (walking it around your scrap)... but maybe you already did that... maybe some other folks can chime in...

my zinc tools will get corrosion on them and i have to stamp them on some scrap if they havnt been used in a while - that sounds like the same as your lifter.

Hey John,

Dumb question :dunno: : What is "mild steel"? I know "stainless steel" and "carbon steel", but I've never heard of steel referred to as "mild".

One thought about the stains, though... do you think maybe spraying some lacquer on the tool will keep it from staining the leather without affecting the quality of the impression? Just a thought. (There is probably a reason the inexpensive tools have a chrome finish.)

Kate

I think that if you use anything but stainless you will get black leather it is a chemical reaction when wet leather is in contact with metal. You could dip the stamp in laquer or some type of coating and it will not stain the leather. I don't know if it will hold up to the stamping process without flaking off though.

Hey John,

Dumb question :dunno: : What is "mild steel"? I know "stainless steel" and "carbon steel", but I've never heard of steel referred to as "mild".

One thought about the stains, though... do you think maybe spraying some lacquer on the tool will keep it from staining the leather without affecting the quality of the impression? Just a thought. (There is probably a reason the inexpensive tools have a chrome finish.)

Kate

Kate, stainless steel is rust resistant due to the metals added to the steel, producing various alloys that are not as prone to rusting as plain iron is. Carbon steel just means that the steel has a relatively high carbon content, and that makes it possible to harden more than steel with less carbon.

"Mild steel" is just plain ordinary steel, not alloyed to prevent it from rusting, not enough carbon to make it very hard.

I wonder if cold blueing the steel would prevent the steel from reacting with the wet leather? You can get cold blueing in an applicator which works like a felt tip pen.

SkipJ

Very Nice Job!! I've been making my own stamps for many years now. I must admit that Your's are alot nicer than the ones I've made. Hmmm I guess I need to start spending some more time on mine. :o) Thanks for sharing,,, Ed

Great subject, post, info! Quick tip, When working with files, "load them" with chalk (dollar store sidewalk works as well as any), the surface won't load with metal and have to be carded/cleaned as often. If your file gets loaded with metal or other media, a flattened out brass shell casing (a rifle case is longer and thus works best) works great for really cleaning them out (work in the opposite direction of the filing direction). Anybody tried any metal engraving tools in this yet?

Edited by MBOGO

I've been making my own stamps since I first went to work for a saddlemaker back in the 70's because that's what he did. I made my own leather knives, again as he did because the shape wasn't available commercially. If I can buy a stamp, I will. When what I want isn't available or if the lead time is too long, I will make my own. Some of them look fairly nice. Others are less than beautiful but the tip is what matters. Most have been made from old bolts because that's what was on hand when I needed to make one. I don't have many stainless ones but the steel doesn't make dark impressions when used. Just to be sure, I stamp a scrap a few times to clean the head before using it on a project. I've only had one tip corrode. That one got dipped in Birchwood Casey Super Blue to seal it after cleaning. I'm thinking of dipping all of my hand made ones to prevent that from happening in the future. Here's a pic of one of the more, shall we say, functional ones. As you can see, I didn't have to texture the barrel for ease of handling. :lol:

1880KStampS.JPG

post-9641-1236490753_thumb.jpg

Like most folks, when first starting out, I looked at the cost of the good stuff and tried my hand at making some. Well, let's just say Barry King's got nuthin' to worry about from me. It's kinda fun and keeps you out of the bars, but at some point it comes down to a matter of how much your own time is worth and what you enjoy doing with it.

After reading this topic, though, and seeing that I was actually on the right path, I just might give it another try.

So.....another wasted day down the drain. heh heh

Even when leather tools were cheaper, they weren't exactly "cheap". For a long time I did all of my tooling with 3 tools.

I never really cared for the craftools and found them very limiting.

I eventually discovered that as long as I had access to large nails and bolts, I could make most of what I wanted for modelling and stamping. I just used a dremel tool or a grinder to shape them. Amazingly enough, I've also discovered that if you are nice to your local jeweler, they will chrome plate items for very cheap. This way the nails won't darken your tooling. If you cannot find a jeweler willing to do it, you can find inexspensive plating kits (approx. 30.00 USD) through a jewelry making supply site.