Tequila

Round Knife Cutting Surface

I’ve been using a cheap cutting board (HPDE?) that I got from one of the dollar stores.  When I use my round knife with it the blade drags and cuts into the surface.  My search on this site for a better alternative got me more confused with all the choices, everything from MDF board to green cutting mat to HPDE board, etc. etc.  So, I thought I’d just ask, what cutting surface do you use with a round knife?

i usually use my round knife in open air for cutting the larger pieces, i found leather cuts much easier if its not laying flat on something. i use an old kitchen cutting board and a different knife for anything laying on the table

I use a clicker board (red polypropylene) for cutting small pieces, and an Olfa cutting mat for squaring up hides and longer cuts.  I try to modulate the pressure to decrease gouging into the cutting board/mat. 

19 hours ago, Tequila said:

I’ve been using a cheap cutting board (HPDE?) that I got from one of the dollar stores.  When I use my round knife with it the blade drags and cuts into the surface.  My search on this site for a better alternative got me more confused with all the choices, everything from MDF board to green cutting mat to HPDE board, etc. etc.  So, I thought I’d just ask, what cutting surface do you use with a round knife?

I use this...I have had it for 10+ years.  My table is actually 2'x8', so I cut it in half.  Every 6 months or so, I flip it over and use the other side.  Little pricey, but I have never cut through it.  All of my large cutting is done on it.  You can also buy it with a grid as well.  I just leave it on the top of my workbench.  It also doubles as a way to keep dye of my table top (a few spills here and there).

https://www.binding101.com/heavy-duty-translucent-rhino-cutting-mats-no-grid?sku=04CCRHIM48NG&utm_source=google_shopping&prod_id=11767&aid=11767&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlemWBhDUARIsAFp1rLX3vEK9XFgAq-uxCJKZnaejEz9RyeMWAFZe3fimY9n9I1Qgf257nowaAuHhEALw_wcB

image.thumb.png.379ba637831528e14003554016b47d3b.png

@PastorBob I like it, just wish it wasn’t so expensive :(

I get 1/4 inch conveyor belt material from a local company. Just rolled up with 10 bucks in my hand and asked if I could get some off cuts or cast offs. they not only cut if to size for me the gave me the rest put in my trunk and waved off the money.  it lasts me about 5 to 6 months before I have to either turn it over or move to another space. BUT I was using an unstroped blade and WAY too much downward pressure not knowing how to strop. As of late it has been more than a year and still going strong. 

I cut on HDPE and blades do not penetrate nearly as much as LDPE. If you buy an unknown plastic cutting board and can put a knife blade very far in it - likely LDPE. LDPE is my preferred punching surface. 

I use MDF have done ever since i started many moons ago its what we used when i did my training and see no reason to change when it becomes worn and cut up turn it over. And its cheap maybe even free if your supplier has odd cut offs laying around.

Hope this helps

JCUK 

I use a cutting mat purchased at Michael's Craft Store. It's a chain store here in the USA. It is 2 x 2 feet. My worktable has a 4 x 8 feet sheet of 3/8 inch backer board typically found on the backs of kitchen cabinets. I buy that at the local lumber yard. When it wears out I will glue another sheet directly on top of the old. This material won't damage you knife and runs less than $5.00 (US)/Sheet.

Joe

On 7/23/2022 at 12:22 PM, Tequila said:

@PastorBob I like it, just wish it wasn’t so expensive :(

at over 10 years of use, comes out to about $14 a year.  Not a bad spend IMO.  There are many solutions for cutting surfaces.  Lots of good input here to choose from.

3 hours ago, PastorBob said:

at over 10 years of use, comes out to about $14 a year.  Not a bad spend IMO.  There are many solutions for cutting surfaces.  Lots of good input here to choose from.

You’re right the 10 year cost is reasonable, I just don’t know if I’ve got 10 years left in me. 

On 7/24/2022 at 8:38 AM, bruce johnson said:

I cut on HDPE and blades do not penetrate nearly as much as LDPE. If you buy an unknown plastic cutting board and can put a knife blade very far in it - likely LDPE. LDPE is my preferred punching surface. 

I think you’re right it is soft.  The other thing is it’s got a micro checkering, probably done to keep things from sliding off, but it gives the knife a lot of things to catch on. 

On 7/24/2022 at 9:50 AM, jcuk said:

I use MDF have done ever since i started many moons ago its what we used when i did my training and see no reason to change when it becomes worn and cut up turn it over. And its cheap maybe even free if your supplier has odd cut offs laying around.

Hope this helps

JCUK 

Does the knife make deep gouges in it?

On 7/25/2022 at 3:51 PM, Tequila said:

I think you’re right it is soft.  The other thing is it’s got a micro checkering, probably done to keep things from sliding off, but it gives the knife a lot of things to catch on. 

Does the knife make deep gouges in it?

Sorry i don't get on here much now, it can gouge but there is no drag also and once you know your leather you working with you will know how to minimise cutting to deep into it as i said once you have worn one side out just turn over. Also it does depend on you use the Round knife i have plenty of different ways of using one in my time and all of them have not been in the safest and best way i have to say.

Hope this helps

JCUK 

The oldtimers used aspen as cutting board surfaces. That has been replaced by the white plastic used on butcher blocks. I still have some big aspen timbers left. I had them cut and dried as 4x12's when there were still a few mills cutting big aspen. I was into my last cutting board and decided to retire when I couldn't get anymore (and my shaky hands were getting worse, too) 

On 7/31/2022 at 8:37 AM, oltoot said:

The oldtimers used aspen as cutting board surfaces. That has been replaced by the white plastic used on butcher blocks. I still have some big aspen timbers left. I had them cut and dried as 4x12's when there were still a few mills cutting big aspen. I was into my last cutting board and decided to retire when I couldn't get anymore (and my shaky hands were getting worse, too) 

i'll cut some next time i'm out. Thank you.