ethereal

Pfaff 145 Issue With Top Stitch Showing Bobbin Thread

My Pfaff 145 gives out perfect stitches on the bottom of my material, but irregular ones on the top. I tried adding a picture in, however my file exceeds the upload size limit.

As I can best describe, the stitches are perfectly straight on top as well, however, inbetween each stitch, you can see the bobbin thread pointing up like a little ball. This happens regardless of how many layers of fabric or leather I use. The same stitch is produced on 7 layers of 11oz denim, 1 layer of ribbed cotton, or 1 layer of 4mm veg tan. 

Any ideas?

Edited by ethereal
clearer message

8 hours ago, ethereal said:

My Pfaff 145 gives out perfect stitches on the bottom of my material, but irregular ones on the top. I tried adding a picture in, however my file exceeds the upload size limit.

As I can best describe, the stitches are perfectly straight on top as well, however, inbetween each stitch, you can see the bobbin thread pointing up like a little ball. This happens regardless of how many layers of fabric or leather I use. The same stitch is produced on 7 layers of 11oz denim, 1 layer of ribbed cotton, or 1 layer of 4mm veg tan. 

Any ideas?

Size Needle ? . Size Thread used  ?
the machine just started doing this ? . or you just get machine, and just starting trying to get tension balance down for machine ?

It sounds like just simple basic tension problem . with the Bobbin tension to Loose, with top thread to Much Pull/tension pulling bobbin thread proud, when the knot should be hidden .
Have you been moving bottom tension higher or lowering the top thread tension to find a good balance ?

Like nylonRigging suggested, tension would be the first place to start.

The top thread is too tight in relation to the bottom thread. So try these tests:

1) loosen the top thread tension by a lot. How did it change the stitch? If that fixes it, stop there. If not...

2) check the tension on bobbin case spring. Over time, if bobbins are pulled out roughly, the spring can straighten out, loosening the tension. 

If you don't know where the bobbin tension is let me know, I'll see what I can find.

Edited by AlainaZ

Issue resolved a few hours after my original post, however, I forgot to reply back to thread until now. 

I had the bobbin threaded incorrectly, with thread entering counter clockwise rather than clockwise.