captain

Help with choosing a conditioner

Hello,

I have an older leather couch (about 25 years old) that is new to me. Overall it has been well kept but it could definitely use a good basic conditioning. 

It's an important piece to me and I want to make sure I keep it in good shape.

Ideally I'd like something as gentle and as natural as possible and something that will not darken the leather (or at least only minimally). 

I've narrowed it down to:

Bickmore Bick 4 (have used it in the past and like it, but don't like that silicone is in the ingredients)

Chamberlains Leather Milk, either the regular No. 1 or the furniture specific No. 5 (Haven't used any of their products before)

How bad is silicone as an ingredient? (as in Bick 4)

Appreciate any helpful info! Made in the USA is a plus, and a company that has some history is also a plus. But my main concern is something that is going to be safe for my couch and protect for years to come.

Thanks!

I think you can't go wrong with Feibing's saddle soap. Both clean and condition your leather at the same time

1 hour ago, Leescustomleather said:

I think you can't go wrong with Feibing's saddle soap. Both clean and condition your leather at the same time

And I think it's better to separate the two operations.  It's a lot of work, clean it and then condition it and use a specialized product tailored specifically for each step.

5 hours ago, sbrownn said:

And I think it's better to separate the two operations.  It's a lot of work, clean it and then condition it and use a specialized product tailored specifically for each step.

Good for you

9 hours ago, captain said:

Appreciate any helpful info! Made in the USA is a plus, and a company that has some history is also a plus. But my main concern is something that is going to be safe for my couch and protect for years to come

Take a look at Colorado leather balm or Smith's leather balm, as each is an all natural product and are both made in the USA. If you want even more control of what you use, check out the DIY recipe I posted on how to make your own leather conditioner using all natural products.

18 hours ago, Leescustomleather said:

:17:

Thanks guys.

So would saddle soap really be the best product for a couch? I haven't heard of anyone using saddle soap on furniture.

It doesn't really need a cleaning, just a conditioning and a product I can use for general upkeep. Not sure that I really want to get it wet using saddle soap. 

Does anyone have any experience with Chamberlains or Bick?

My experience with waxes or balms like Smiths is they leave a sticky finish and can really darken leather.

10 hours ago, captain said:

Thanks guys.

So would saddle soap really be the best product for a couch? I haven't heard of anyone using saddle soap on furniture.

It doesn't really need a cleaning, just a conditioning and a product I can use for general upkeep. Not sure that I really want to get it wet using saddle soap. 

Does anyone have any experience with Chamberlains or Bick?

My experience with waxes or balms like Smiths is they leave a sticky finish and can really darken leather.

Here is some info for you to make your decision. without pics we really don't know what your leather needs if your couch has lost its oils through time then anything you put on it to fix that will darken it That's what conditioners do!.   https://www.libertyleathergoods.com/saddle-soap/

If you really want to use a particular product buy some and try it in a spot that will be inconspicuous. I just checked my tin of saddle soap, and it says it cleans and renews leather furniture on the back. Not for suede. 

Don't think you'll go wrong with glycerin saddle soap, and you can always add conditioner later if desired.  I clean a lot of tack with a bucket of warm water, a sponge, and a bar of saddle soap.  Wring out the sponge - you don't need to soak the leather.  After applying saddle soap, wipe off the excess using the sponge rinsed in water and wrung out.  For tack, I like Bick's 4, Fiebings Aussie, and Blackrock conditioners.  The Aussie is less likely to darken the leather than the other two.