toxo

What compressor for my 801 skiver?

Skiver upstairs, Large compressor downstairs. If I want to use the vacuum on the skiver it means a long hose between the two. What's the smallest compressor (quiet) that will drive the vacuum pump? Thanks peeps.

No-one!

Maybe its me but I do not understand the relation between compressor and vacuum pump for a skiver - isn´t a vacuum cleaner (kind of) what you need to suck up the leather remnants? Maybe one of these ash or oven vacuums is what you need.

1 hour ago, Constabulary said:

Maybe its me but I do not understand the relation between compressor and vacuum pump for a skiver - isn´t a vacuum cleaner (kind of) what you need to suck up the leather remnants? Maybe one of these ash or oven vacuums is what you need.

The rugby ball shaped feeder roller is by necessity rough enough to grip the leather. Imagine you're skimming off 1mm of leather, those 801 skivers that don't have vacuums run an increased risk of that 1mm sticking to the roller so when that part comes around again the skive will be 2mm instead of 1mm and risks ruining the project. How often this happens I don't know. There are different types of roller, some will be more prone to holding onto the waste leather than others. The purpose of a vacuum system is to suck up the dross as it comes off the blade thus decreasing the odds of this happening. The other bonus is the waste is deposited in a sack for disposal. Otherwise it just falls on the floor or in a bucket.

Here's a couple of pics from my initial post in 2021, not that they show much.

IMG_20211222_165010__01__01.jpg

IMG_20211222_164736__01.jpg

Edited by toxo

You don't give any specifications on the air flow and pressure necessary to run the vacuum system so no one can tell you the minimum compressor size needed, let alone source you a quiet one.

Maybe I do not understand your setup (no offense). So you run a compressor to air power a vacuum pump that sucks up the leather remnants? If it was me I would use a electrical vacuum cleaner like one of these 30-40 bucks ash / oven vacuums. Know what I mean? I think thats more effective - or not?

https://www.lidl.de/p/parkside-aschesauger-pas-1200-f5-18-l/p100335698

Or a cheap wet / dry vacuum

https://www.lidl.de/p/parkside-nass-trockensauger-pwd-12-a1-inkl-3-teiligem-saugrohr/p100348045

You may find them in local classifieds for 1/2 the price or so.

Edited by Constabulary

2 hours ago, sbrownn said:

You don't give any specifications on the air flow and pressure necessary to run the vacuum system so no one can tell you the minimum compressor size needed, let alone source you a quiet one.

You're right of course but if I knew the answer to that I probably wouldn't have needed to ask the question. I was kinda hoping for  someone who had a similar setup.

@Constabulary That may be one answer but I'm loathe to break up a professional setup. As it is now the thing works when you hit the treadle. Also, provided you have an air reservoir the thing is silent until the pressure drops out.

58 minutes ago, toxo said:

Also, provided you have an air reservoir the thing is silent until the pressure drops out.

I would suggest trying to add a secondary reservoir air tank alongside your skiver setup to extend the time interval that your air compressor kicks in. How big is your existing compressor tank, size of compressor motor and how long before you empty the tank before the compressor kicks in??

kgg

1 hour ago, kgg said:

I would suggest trying to add a secondary reservoir air tank alongside your skiver setup to extend the time interval that your air compressor kicks in. How big is your existing compressor tank, size of compressor motor and how long before you empty the tank before the compressor kicks in??

kgg

It's a 50Ltr tank with a corresponding motor that's loud. It takes up too much room. I'd look at maybe coupling up a couple of smaller diaphragms if I can find a quiet motor/compressor. How long is like how long is a piece of string. It comes on when you use it. To be fair it doesn't get that much use and that's the trouble. Because of the faff to set it up just for occasional use I tend not to bother and let it all on the floor. :( It would be so much better to just turn it on and use it.