OldCanuck

That little shield you use when removing your stitching chisel ...

I've been following with interest the discussions about removing stitching/lacing chisels from leather. I've totally absorbed the "polish 'em real good" and "dip 'em in beeswax" advice. I never did that as a kid, but back then I only had chisels with 3 or 4 prongs, and the leather stack was pretty thin, so it didn't really matter. 

However, most of the discussions have revolved around thicker leather and more prongs, where the chisel would get stuck in spite of polishing and waxing, and removal would be problematic.

Some of the discussions talked about a piece of wood or acrylic that one can use to protect or support the leather while removing the chisel, so the leather doesn't stretch or tear, and so the user doesn't bonk their knuckles or stab themselves -- over and over again. Does anybody know what I'm talking about? What is this shield called -- that is, if I were to look for one in an online shop, what terms would I search for? (I'm asking, because so far I haven't had any luck.)

If I were to make one from scratch, what material would I use? Wood is plentiful and easy to work with, but I worry that the shield would eventually split along the grain and all would be in vain. 

I don't even know what the thing looks like. Here's what my imagination came up with:

stitching_shield.png.3d66d1f5101385555f7b08f3aaed4ce6.png

Edited by OldCanuck

Yes, you've got the right idea. There's no specific size or design, just make it to suit yourself - longer, or with the base and/or one side of the U wider to make it easier to hold down

I vaguely remember seeing that sort of thing on a video or two, and from suppliers, but not very often, I think most people make their own

I would make it from acrylic sheet or Perspex, clear or solid colour but you could get the design right with wood, and I think any hard, close grained wood would last a while anyway

I, and I think other people don't cut a U shape & slot, just hold down the leather with a small length of wood placed right up against the chisel. I use some wood that I cut to make knife scales for full tang knives but this piece had a couple of faults in it. It's yew, but as I mentioned, there are many alternatives. It is 130 X 45 X 12 mm

Whatever you choose, sand/round off/smooth the corners & edges so you don't scratch your leather.

Oh, and I don't know its proper name either!

This subject came up in another thread but I can't find it right now

I made one if these thingies out of a scrap piece of clear acrylic

chisel support, 01LW.jpg

Ah! Of Course! It's a Thingy!

Perhaps I'll get round to making one, one day.

Edited by zuludog

Made one out of a 3" plywood square from hobby lobby one time. 3mm thick. Worked good. I'd show a pic but it's buried under a mound of junk on my bench 

You all are fantastic. Thanks for the replies. I'm heading down to the workshop to make a whatchamacallit right now.