Frankster

Trying to make a wrangler/rough rider holster.

I recently bought a Ruger Wrangler as my first handgun however it is a birdshead grip model and the barrel is shorter than the normal wrangler. since it’s a $200 revolver I figured I might as well make a leather holster instead of buying one for 1/2 the price of the pistol it not to mention it would be more fun. 

I am extremely new to this and practiced a little with some scrap but I’m having trouble sketching good templates myself. Does anyone know of any templates online I can print out and use? Im sure any single six, or rough rider templates would work just as well.

Have you thought about getting ' How To Make Holsters' pattern book  , by Al Stohlman? 

Its has some pretty good patterns ,  it also shows how to make your own templates, sewing etc. ,  and its a book that  I have learnt so much from .

Theres also 'Buscadero  Belts & Holsters'   by F.O Baird.  Its a pattern pack   and has full size patterns . 

HS

Edited by Handstitched

I suggest getting the Al Stohlman book. The patterns are great, and the book has a lot of great tips. I am working on one now

9 hours ago, Frankster said:

I recently bought a Ruger Wrangler as my first handgun however it is a birdshead grip model and the barrel is shorter than the normal wrangler. since it’s a $200 revolver I figured I might as well make a leather holster instead of buying one for 1/2 the price of the pistol it not to mention it would be more fun. 

I am extremely new to this and practiced a little with some scrap but I’m having trouble sketching good templates myself. Does anyone know of any templates online I can print out and use? Im sure any single six, or rough rider templates would work just as well.

the wrangler 22 will be smaller frame than a regular large caliber saa type firearm i recently remodeled an existing saa holster for one of the older 22 rugers and it fit well trimming off about 3/8" from the sewn edge of the holster plus an inch off the length. if you can find a pattern for the older 22 lr single action revolvers they should fit just fine. i make one like this one on top, my own pattern. 

western2.JPG

westerns1.JPG

Thank y’all I will definitely look into the book, much appreciated. that’s some beautiful work chuck, you think someone with no experience like me could do something similar?

24 minutes ago, Frankster said:

Thank y’all I will definitely look into the book, much appreciated. that’s some beautiful work chuck, you think someone with no experience like me could do something similar?

oh yea easy peasy!!! This type of holster is one of the easiest patterns there is and it is highly modifiable. As you can see i use a different way to attach to the belt  than most western types, it makes for a higher tighter type ride on the hip and with a cant. 

I just made one a few weeks ago and used  Al Stholman's single six pattern from his "How To Make Holsters book". I changed a few lines to get what I wanted and then transplanted his pattern from the holster from the single action army because I liked it better than the single six pattern. This is the result. I intended it to be light tan but Fiebing's definition of light tan is much darker than mine.

kCgTlbbh.jpg 

Edited by doubleh

8 minutes ago, doubleh said:

I just made one a few weeks ago and used  Al Stholman's single six pattern from his "How To Make Holsters book". I changed a few lines to get what I wanted and then transplanted his pattern from the holster from the single action army because I liked it better than the single six pattern. This is the result. I intended it to be light tan but Fiebing's definition of light tan is much darker than mine.

kCgTlbbh.jpg 

thats purdy!!!

7 hours ago, doubleh said:

kCgTlbbh.jpg 

Second that - I really like the tooling you've done.  Makes me think I need to learn something more than cutting and sewing straps together.  Is the artwork your design? 

10 hours ago, TomE said:

Second that - I really like the tooling you've done.  Makes me think I need to learn something more than cutting and sewing straps together.  Is the artwork your design? 

No, the artwork or pattern is Al Stolman's for a single action army in his "How to Make Holsters" book.

Thanks to both of you for your compliments. 

1 hour ago, doubleh said:

No, the artwork or pattern is Al Stolman's for a single action army in his "How to Make Holsters" book.

Thanks to both of you for your compliments. 

Can’t beat Stohlman for classic leatherwork. Will add the holsters book to my collection. 

And be careful @Frankster, many of us started under the guise of "there ain't no way I'm paying that much for X, I'll just make it myself" and then a few thousand bucks later you find you have enough skills and equipment to run a small hobby business. It is totally worth it though! There was just no way I was going to pay $75 for a knife sheath...

6 hours ago, TomE said:

Can’t beat Stohlman for classic leatherwork. Will add the holsters book to my collection. 

Classic is the only thing that interests me. Sheridan style is much too busy and stamped borders or basketweave hold no interest at all. I will admit it takes skill to do each but that is for someone else.

Frankster, there are many youtube vids showing how to make holsters, including making the pattern. It's not that difficult, once you understand the basics.

8 hours ago, battlemunky said:

And be careful @Frankster, many of us started under the guise of "there ain't no way I'm paying that much for X, I'll just make it myself" and then a few thousand bucks later you find you have enough skills and equipment to run a small hobby business. It is totally worth it though! There was just no way I was going to pay $75 for a knife sheath...

:lol::lol: That's exactly what happened to me! I couldn't get the holsters I wanted (many in the US wouldn't ship to Oz :dunno:), so a few years and many $$ later........