ethereal

Minimum and Maximum Thread Sizes for Pfaff 145?

Im wondering if anyone is aware of what the minimum and maximum thread sizes are for the Pfaff 145 Model H3? 

I saw another post on here mentioning that #207 was the highest the top could take, and #138 was the highest the bobbin could take, though Im seeing needles available for the H3 (size 134-135) on threadexchange that go up 200/25, which I believe can handle #277 thread as well. 

I also see needles that go as low as 65/9, which would be relative to #15 thread?

Any help is appreciated as the Pfaff manual is a bit difficult for me to understand.

The min and max thread sizes depend on the build of your machine (hook, bobbin size, throat plate, take-up lever, feed dog, tension and pressure springs). When I had that model it was only good up to #138 thread, using a #160 needle. It also worked great with a #150 needle. I think you'd need a more recent version that includes the letter H on the model tag to run #207 thread.

As for the minimum size, any thread smaller than Tex 50 and a # 14 needle might require a smaller hole in the feed dog and a closer hook to needle spacing. The thread tension spring might need to be lighter duty.  My walking foot machines are all setup for medium to heavy duty sewing and #69 thread minimum. They eat cloth and just gobble up or break thin thread. I keep a Singer 31-15 straight stitch machine on hand to handle soft cloth, linings and wallet interiors.

17 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

The min and max thread sizes depend on the build of your machine (hook, bobbin size, throat plate, take-up lever, feed dog, tension and pressure springs). When I had that model it was only good up to #138 thread, using a #160 needle. It also worked great with a #150 needle. I think you'd need a more recent version that includes the letter H on the model tag to run #207 thread.

As for the minimum size, any thread smaller than Tex 50 and a # 14 needle might require a smaller hole in the feed dog and a closer hook to needle spacing. The thread tension spring might need to be lighter duty.  My walking foot machines are all setup for medium to heavy duty sewing and #69 thread minimum. They eat cloth and just gobble up or break thin thread. I keep a Singer 31-15 straight stitch machine on hand to handle soft cloth, linings and wallet interiors.

Ah that makes a lot of sense. Ive got an H3 and it is embossed onto the tag so I believe I should be good to try #207.

A follow up question for your Singer, do you use that for sewing lining onto leather as well (for leather jackets, pants etc.), or would you use your walking foot in that case? Additionally, would you base the needle you would use on the lining fabric, or the leather? 

I have a 145 H4 that use's 190 Needle System, it sews fine with #207 Both top and in the bobbin. I have never used any thread smaller than #92.
Not sure about #277 thread that might be pushing the limit for these machines. I used to sew mostly belts with mine but don't use it much any more once I got my CB4500 setup with the narrow needle plate. Here is a belt I made using #207 thread and a size 24/180 needle.

Johnny

Belt P145 207_Front.jpg

Edited by Johnny

Here is the back side, great machines my only complaint is the small bobbin.

343327734_BeltP145207Back.thumb.jpg.38f4864adff5770ab7dcf35833cabaa6.jpg

19 hours ago, ethereal said:

A follow up question for your Singer, do you use that for sewing lining onto leather as well (for leather jackets, pants etc.), or would you use your walking foot in that case? Additionally, would you base the needle you would use on the lining fabric, or the leather?

I only use the 31-15 to sew non leather materials together. If I need to sew a lining into something made of leather, I use a walking foot machine. As for the needles, there is no harm using a round point needle on garment or chap leather. The plus is that the round point wont split the fibers in the lining.

Regarding round point vs leather point when sewing patches onto leather vests, I started using round points for this work. The reason is that some leather point configurations split the embroidered threads on the patches, whereas the round points are less likely to do that. The embroidery is done with round point needles, so the stitching to attach them should be also. Nobody sees the round holes in the leather under the patches.