Here is a picture of a trial sample of a wallet I made and have been carrying in my back pocket, for about two months.

notice the distortion on the back side due to the wallet having cards and a few papers in it.

would anyone have an idea on how to prevent this distortion?

other than not putting cards and money in the wallet?

thanks 

Joel

EE7E9CE3-41B7-4218-86FF-3E2CD245A1C5.thumb.jpeg.c8510741bc28d21b03f0d0810c2ab96a.jpeg

Edited by GrampaJoel

Well first, I think that looks great and any distortion is adding to the character. Second, looking at that leather, it looks milled so it'll be quite a bit softer than unmilled vegtan and more susceptible to distorting. Without seeing how you've been using it (front pocket, back pocket, riding a tractor, sweating on it in different sitting/kneeling positions, how much and what type of stuff you carry) I am going with the softer hand of the leather. Again though, I think it looks better than fine and is wearing well.

I have been using it in front and back pockets.

it has traveled in my back pocket or front from Denver to Atlanta Georgia. It’s been sweated on and tossed on a table many times.

it has 6 credit card size plastic cards in it. A couple of folded US dollars and some paper receipts in it.

just edc types of items.

what I’m wondering, is why it bends the way it does.

is it a design flaw? Or is the bend just the result of the wallet style?

I built this small wallet in a rush because I had a big trip coming up and I wanted to test the design. It is small enough for front Levi, and cargo  shorts type pockets. But tends to get lost in back pockets. It does fit in some camp type shirt pockets also.
I did find some things that need changing,,,, but the bend in the back has me perplexed.

thanks

Joel

3E92FDAD-852F-4428-A4AA-AF0F396FBE7D.jpeg

To me it looks as if the leather had "retracted" because at the back there are no cards to stretch it out. It also looks as if the lower part on the left (open wallet) was a bit narrower than the top. If that is so I would guess that the reason is there being fewer layers of cards.

The first thing I would try is a different type of leather. Or decide that I don't care because the wallet works and looks perfectly fine. 

just my thought the middle of the spine is the only place that can flex, the sides are double thick with the inserts and the ends are sewn so the middle is the only place that can stretch to take up the extra thicknesses of cards and money. when it stretches out it also has to pull in or down causing the saddle back shape.  Maybe add a stiffener in the spine or  maybe you can wet form the wallet to a predetermined thickness. I'm like the rest it doesn't matter to much leather does its own thing when exposed to the unknown stresses that your butt puts it through. You should see my wallet lol. 

Thanks for the replies, both Klara and chuck, and battlemunky.

Chuck, I think you may have hit the reason for the bend.

I too believe, since you mentioned it. That there is no support in the area of the back that is bending. And when cards are inserted the wallet tends to stretch in that area. But when it closes the stretched area, is still stretched, and that causes the perceived bend.

hummmm, by George, now how to fix this design problem???.

thanks everyone!

Joel

Is the liner glued? I'd think that if the liner was glued it would help to limit stretching/hogging... "Limit stretching/hogging" is a qualitative statement, certainly, but if you just glued the edges and not the entire piece then maybe that is adding to it? If not, maybe some card stock or manila folder glued in between the liner and the main body? The "right" leather is probably the answer, but (!), if you have to burn up a side of the milled stuff, there may be some solutions along the way to help that.

I think it looks wonderful though...

Battlemunky.

yeah,, the liner is completely glued to the outside.

I think the problem is one of design.  As Chuck, above,  referenced. It is the filling of the pockets that are causing the  sides to swell, and hence causing the curve in the spine when the wallet is closed.  I may have reached the size limits on this design.
thanks for cogitating on it for me.

Joel

Speaking of filling: You do have only one card in each slot, don't you? I've discovered that makes a huge difference to how a wallet wears...