ariannacraig

What's the best sewing machine?

I'm just learning about this subject. I think I need a heavier duty machine with a walking foot, straight and zigzag stitching. Do I need any other features?

I want to do the occasional bit of canvas work and repairs, probably not big sail work. I'm a 'value buyer'. I.e. i don't want to shell out for a Sailrite. Used or budget new would do.

Here's one, although I doubt the price would appeal to a "value buyer"  - I believe the model has been made by Consew, and re-badged and sold under other names, for some years now, so maybe you could find a used one :

https://atlaslevy.3dcartstores.com/Consew-146RB-Zig-Zag-Walking-Foot-Sewing-Machine-Head-Only_p_1128.html

13 hours ago, dikman said:

Welcome to the forum. Have you read this - 

sewingempire.com/

thank you so much for your suggestion

Edited by ariannacraig

It's really the first place to start if you're new to industrial sewing machines. It's a complex subject, trying to work out which machine will best suit your needs. A general rule is that there is no "one-machine-will-do-everything". If you want to work with light materials a heavy duty machine won't work, except under specific circumstances, and a light-duty machine won't handle heavy stuff. That's why many on here have more than one machine.

Read through that post, preferably several times, and it may help you with working out exactly what questions to ask.:)

On 7/28/2022 at 10:31 PM, ariannacraig said:

I think I need a heavier duty machine with a walking foot, straight and zigzag stitching.

The article dikman has suggested is an excellent starting point to help you narrow down your needs. If you need a walking foot with zigzag and your budget doesn't stretch to the portable walking foot Sailrite LSZ-1 then the only options that I know of are i) the used market market for either a used portable walking foot Sailrite LSZ-1, ii) used market for an industrial machine similar to the Consew 146 or iii) a new portable LSZ-1as there are a number of options like the Reliable Barracuda, Consew, Kobe, Rex, to name a few.

Be aware that the portable walking foot machines are rated for V92 thread and were made to do repairs to sails.

The zigzag feature is a nice add on but you could really open up your buying and machine options if this wasn't a must have for your type of sewing needs.

kgg

15 hours ago, dikman said:

That's why many on here have more than one machine

I've found I didn't need to many so I have only 12 machines so far sewing machines that is then you need well let's not go there LOL