Jimmy McLaughlin

Stitching Horse

That's quite a find! 

how many years of sewing would it take to wear holes in that leather seat? That is one awesome piece of history.

Thanks for letting us see your horse. It would be great to see all the work that was stitched on it. I wonder how many items are still in use today.

A great example of necessity being the mother of invention at some point in time.

Took a while to get my mind off that mechanical broom in the background. :rofl:

I came across this 1800s Stitching Horse in an antique store in Burlington NJ. It was sitting in a dark corner.  I couldn't  believe my eyes. I have been looking for one of these ever since I started working with leather. I would like some feedback. What are the odds of finding such an item?

Jim

There are still pieces like this waiting to be found. This piece restored my faith.  Thank you all for the feedback.

I would line the jaws with some Vegtan to protect your work

I came across this 1800s Stitching Horse in an antique store in Burlington NJ. It was sitting in a dark corner.  I couldn't  believe my eyes. I have been looking for one of these ever since I started working with leather. I would like some feedback. What are the odds of finding such an item?

Jim

There are still pieces like this waiting to be found. This piece restored my faith.  Thank you all for the feedback.

I was thinking of putting some leather on the jaws, I really don't want to add anything to it. The jaws are worn as smooth as glass. This horse goes back to the mid 1800s. I wish I could get some more information on it.God knows who's saddle was sewing in those jaws.

TOXO I loved your post. That is not a mechanical broom. The broom is leaning against my garage wall, my DeWalt Chop saw is in front of it LOL I love it.

16592011308434838453278525088590.jpg

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McLaughlin said:

Jim

I have one I bought from Bob Douglas at the Pendleton leather show some years ago. I'd say that the odds of finding one are better out here in the West, but they are out there. Right place at the right time.

GOOD FIND. I (79+) learned to handsew (Alpine, texas 1970-73) at one of these with jaws lined with a pair of folded brass sheets. The seat wear came from the rivets on jean pockets and some of the holes between the front of the seat leather and back of the jaws were most likely as a result of sticking the awl in order to have both hands free to adjust the piece.

Nice find and it brings back memories. Long, long ago I worked Saturdays for a boot maker/shoe repairman that also rebuilt saddles and tack. I spent a lot of time sitting on one of those as I got to hand sew a lot of tack. He passed on and his youngest son took over the shop and now he is gone. I wonder what happened to all the equipment in the shop including that horse. It was in pretty good shape the last time I saw it.

He also sold tooled western belts and I was the maker but I did those at home. I sometimes wonder just how many belts I made as they were very popular back then. I wish I had kept count as it was a bunch.