JShapiro

What kind of rivet is this?

Hi, I'm making some canoe portage packs and am looking to rivet the leather straps onto the canvas pack. I'm using an existing pack as a pattern. I'd like to find rivets like these, which are going through 4 layers of leather (1 is inside the pack as a reinforcement) and 2 layers of thick canvas. For scale, the leather strap is about 1" wide.

Can someone post a link to where I might buy some? I've searched online but have been overwhelmed by all the options and haven't found what I'm looking for. Thanks!

IMG-0139.jpg

Another photo of buckle assembly from the side, showing how long the rivet is:

IMG-0140.jpg

they are just copper rivets you can get them from weaver leather, tandy, or most any leather craft or hardware storehttps://tandyleather.com/collections/hardware/products/rivets-burrs

:17: x 2  I second that  :)

Removing them can be tricky though, an angle grinder on the other side....but they may get a bit hot and make the leather smell..or a large pair of side cutters in between the  layers of leather. Copper is soft enough to cut through. 

Or just cut the leather  :yes:

HS

Depending on where you are located, you may be able to find them in a local hardware store, like I can. 

1 hour ago, Handstitched said:

:17: x 2  I second that  :)

Removing them can be tricky though, an angle grinder on the other side....but they may get a bit hot and make the leather smell..or a large pair of side cutters in between the  layers of leather. Copper is soft enough to cut through. 

Or just cut the leather  :yes:

HS

To remove any rivet just center punch with a nail or a proper centerpunch and carefully drill with a 1/8th (or thereabouts). The top will come away with no fuss then pull out from the other side.

Thanx for this tip TOXO, Simplicity never comes easy to me. hoho

These tend to heat up quickly if you drill copper rivets. Get too hot and they scorch the leather and will glaze and spin. A new quality bit or a cobalt bit is my choice and go slow. The other old-timer technique I've been shown and use successfully is to punch the burr with a small chisel. it will fold up slightly and you can get a grip with an end nipper to cut and then pull off the burr.

1 hour ago, Wild Bill46 said:

Thanx for this tip TOXO, Simplicity never comes easy to me. hoho

Just glad to help Bill.

were available in several sizes (wire guages of thickest part of the shaft) with #9 being the most commonly used. The large hole sideways on a rivit set tool is for forcing the washer down past the tapered end and onto the straight base.

A Thank you to Bruce Johnson  also

a Thank you to Oltoot

OK, I'm finally getting around to ordering materials for this project.

I need the rivets to go through approximately 1/2" of material (leather plus canvas). Should I get 3/4" or 1" post length? Thanks!

If you are sure its about 1/2"  of material then 3/4" will do

I would go for a 1'' you can cut down to the size you need, you cant add any any length if they are to short.

Hope this helps

JCUK

19 minutes ago, jcuk said:

I would go for a 1'' you can cut down to the size you need, you cant add any any length if they are to short.

Hope this helps

JCUK

This^^^ It's rare that we get hardware that is one size fits all but with bit/burr rivets we can. Just get the long ones and trim them...you'll have to trim them anyhow so no need to stock more types than you need. Last time I bought them they were the same price regardless of length too. 

Another idea is to use a shield and tab to attach the double bar buckle to the bag.  It would be even stronger if you sandwich the canvas between 2 leather shields and sew through all 3 layers.  This illustration is from Stohlman's Making Leather Cases v. 1.

IMG_6193.thumb.jpg.f44bb68ad45e0d77ad324f25e7728a42.jpg

On 8/23/2022 at 4:06 PM, battlemunky said:

This^^^ It's rare that we get hardware that is one size fits all but with bit/burr rivets we can. Just get the long ones and trim them...you'll have to trim them anyhow so no need to stock more types than you need. Last time I bought them they were the same price regardless of length too. 

What is the best method for cutting them down? And if I cut them down, how much should I leave to hammer over?

EDIT: Never mind, I found a good video on Buckleguy website. Thanks for your help, everybody!

Edited by JShapiro

23 minutes ago, JShapiro said:

What is the best method for cutting them down? And if I cut them down, how much should I leave to hammer over?

EDIT: Never mind, I found a good video on Buckleguy website. Thanks for your help, everybody!

It took me a little trial and error to get them where I like them. I took a piece of 3 oz leather and punched a hole in it to make a standoff, I set the rivet and then put the standoff over the stem and then use my side cut pliers flush with the standoff and it's where I like it. As long as the rivet is secure it should be fine so there is a little bit of feel to figuring out how much you like vs how much you don't. I found this to be the case anyhow. Too little is bad and too much is, well, too much...you have to find your inner Goldilocks.