TomE

posting photos

Not sure where to put this.  When I upload JPEG photos to this site they display significantly darker with the tones are rather muddy.  This is true when viewing the site with different browsers, and this doesn't happen when I upload to other forums and social media.  I crop and adjust tone/brightness etc using Photoshop before uploading a JPEG.  Is there a different file format or settings that work well for you?

I have not noticed that with any that I upload.

me either

Maybe I'm being too picky.  Here are the same photos posted on FB https://m.facebook.com/groups/FLeathercrafters/permalink/10160079757549603/?ref=content_filter and on this forum 

2 hours ago, TomE said:

Maybe I'm being too picky.  Here are the same photos posted on FB https://m.facebook.com/groups/FLeathercrafters/permalink/10160079757549603/?ref=content_filter and on this forum 

Tom, the issue that you have NOT assigned a color profile to your image.  That means it'll never appear in a consistent manner to a viewer.  The very best thing you could do is to assign the sRGB color space to your image(s) if you are intending them to be viewed on the web.  Even then, if the user has an uncalibrated monitor they may not see what you intended them to see.  The AdobeRGB color space is what I usually work in as it has a larger color gamut than the others, but when I save images for a specific purpose I assign the appropriate color space to them.  You're obviously particular about how the images appear, so as I said, the best solution is to assign the sRGB color space to them.  (I downloaded your image and checked it... no managed color space.)

You're using PhotoShop you said... keep your main image in AdobeRGB, and if you're using Save For Web, make sure to assign sRGB to the smaller image you're using on the web.

Hope this helps.

Thanks @MtlBiker!  That’s exactly what I needed to know. I will do some reading and put this new knowledge into practice. I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. 

News to me also. Will investigate. Thanks @MtlBiker.

@TomE and @toxo - I have been heavily into photography for over the last 60 years.  I do a lot less photography these days, but used to have a full studio set up in our art gallery.  I have done sports, nature, portraits and glamour/artistic nudes and have been published several times.  Generally only serious photographers are so concerned with color accuracy and for most web site postings and display, a little variance doesn't really matter.  Especially since the people viewing those images only rarely themselves have color calibrated systems.  I did my own printing, but often advised other photographers how best to send an image to a service bureau for printing.  Unless the photographer has a properly color calibrated system, there's no way that a service bureau (properly calibrated) would see what the photographer expected them to see.  Often the photographer (without a calibrated system) would spend a lot of time editing and getting a photo exactly to his/her liking, only to find that when printed by a service bureau it wasn't the same.  Every step along the way needed to be calibrated.  

Probably nobody here is interested in seeing a small sample of my photography, but just in case, here is a NSFW link to some of my Artistic Nudes.

@MtlBiker your artwork is more interesting than mine.  I was a scientist making figures for papers and talks on mechanisms of DNA repair.  Never learned about color space or profiles, but it would have helped for those times when slides didn't display the way I wanted.  Here's a picture of human DNA ligase I,  a protein structure we determined by x-ray crystallography, with our cartoon rendering of a chromosome in the background.  That's about as fanciful as my work got.  I am pretty good at identifying right-handed vs. left-handed helices in the stamped borders of leatherwork.  :)

DNA-ligase.jpg

i photo just about anything interesting to me. This is an old barn loft i thought was cool, way out in the boonies.

barn1.JPG

2 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

i photo just about anything interesting to me. This is an old barn loft i thought was cool, way out in the boonies.

That is totally cool.  Don't see much hay put up in lofts in this age of steel pole barns.  Did someone take the tin off the roof for another building?  Shame to let those rafters rot in the weather.

4 minutes ago, TomE said:

That is totally cool.  Don't see much hay put up in lofts in this age of steel pole barns.  Did someone take the tin off the roof for another building?  Shame to let those rafters rot in the weather.

Thanks natural light effect at its finest! The good old Wyoming winds took off the roof lol. This old barn was long abandoned in the 50s or so, it started as a train stop/spur back in the steam locomotive days to load sheep. With our dry desert weather and no humidity deters alot of rot but the constant sand and wind does most of the erosion out here. 

@chuck123wapati is there much hay produced in your area?  A long distance trucker in our area brings large square bales of WY and KS hay back here for sale.  I buy small bales from local producers bc I can see it growing in the fields and it's easier to handle the small bales.  The hilly ground around here is good for pasture and hay fields.  Row crops are grown in the MO River bottom.  We had a barn with a loft that was built in 1939 and was falling down in the wet Missouri weather.  Habitat for Humanity salvaged the tin and the lumber, which they already had buyers for. 

1 hour ago, TomE said:

@chuck123wapati is there much hay produced in your area?  A long distance trucker in our area brings large square bales of WY and KS hay back here for sale.  I buy small bales from local producers bc I can see it growing in the fields and it's easier to handle the small bales.  The hilly ground around here is good for pasture and hay fields.  Row crops are grown in the MO River bottom.  We had a barn with a loft that was built in 1939 and was falling down in the wet Missouri weather.  Habitat for Humanity salvaged the tin and the lumber, which they already had buyers for. 

Not  a lot around here but south of here about 60 miles along the Platte and little snake rivers is where most of the local hay is grown in our county. The eastern part and northern part of the state has the grass lands and more water. Where i live is on the edge of the red desert. Its been a good year for them not to much rain but enough to do the job they will be getting two good cuttings i'm sure this year.

Here is another cool picture, my great grandmother took this probably in the early teens, i have about 30 glass negatives of hers. I put them on a light box and took photos of them then had to reverse the image from negative to positive to get the image. My dad told stories of the old timers, haying was a community endeavor so the men would go from ranch to ranch helping each other and the women would get together to feed every one. This would be on the little snake river where my family homesteaded

haying3.jpg

haying4.jpg

@chuck123wapati is that frame for gathering hay out of the field or loading it on the hay mow? My farm girl-wife will enjoy seeing the pictures tonight. 

11 minutes ago, TomE said:

@chuck123wapati is that frame for gathering hay out of the field or loading it on the hay mow? My farm girl-wife will enjoy seeing the pictures tonight. 

its is for raising the hay up onto the stack then men on top would move it around, i wish i could remember more about it too if i remember right a buck rake would bring the hay in then load onto this by men, a horse pulled it up  then  the men on top of the stack would place it in such a way that the rain or snow melt would run off keeping the hay good inside.