hanzosbm

Is this leather?

I needed a small piece of thin, green leather and my attempts to dye some scraps didn't go well. I found the website buckleguy.com and they had a piece described as Korba Buffalo Calf veg tanned burnishable leather that seemed like it would fit the bill (price was good too).

It just arrived, and the flesh side looks... synthetic. The hair side looks natural, but I really don't know what this is. Anybody have any experience with it?

IMG_20220730_112001383.jpg

I would have to ASSUME! that if the Buckleguy sold it as leather then its leather. He's a pretty reputable guy JMHO

1 minute ago, Bert03241 said:

I would have to ASSUME! that if the Buckleguy sold it as leather then its leather. He's a pretty reputable guy JMHO

Okay, that's good to know. It looks strange, but maybe it's an impression left be the tool removing the flesh.

I've got a piece of natural veg tan with that milled look on the flesh side and I thought the same thing.

21 minutes ago, toxo said:

I've got a piece of natural veg tan with that milled look on the flesh side and I thought the same thing.

Okay, that makes me feel a lot better 

It may also have been run through a roller to help remove excess dye. I have a couple sides that have that 'fabric' look on the back.

That texture often results from the leather being run through a machine with a fabric substrate -- a belt or a pad usually. Is the grain side embossed/plated by any chance?

28 minutes ago, Matt S said:

That texture often results from the leather being run through a machine with a fabric substrate -- a belt or a pad usually. Is the grain side embossed/plated by any chance?

Not my veg tan. It's only about 1.4mm and very floppy.

4 hours ago, Matt S said:

Doesn't appear to be 

I too have a piece of leather that looks a bit like that on the rear. But do the burn test to check

Hey!!

I buy Korba Buffalo Calf, its real leather. My guess is its the way its made ( in India ) that causes that pattern on the flesh side. But totally real. 

I buy it for flask wraps, so the hair side is never seen. 

Edited by Gulrok