wovef

How to wetform a holster.

A new customer came in today.  He wants something I have never tried.  It is a molded holster for his Ruger 100 this thing is double action with a large frame.

I am going to use 10oz. vegetable tan with a natural finish.  What is the correct method of wet forming this project??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. My email is in my profile.

Best way is to put said gun in a sandwich or freezer bag . . . wrap it in the leather for the holster that is the next thing to sopping wet.

Stick it in a vacuum bag . . . turn on the vacuum pump . . . use your fingers to mold it as tight or as simple as you and your customer want.

That's how I do all my holsters.

May God bless,

Dwight

You probably dont have a vac pump , soak the leather and work it by hand, keep going over and over it till its molded to  the gun and has sharp lines. watch this

So please come back and tell us how it went, don't be a 1 post wonder, theres lots of people here willing to help and maybe you can help some of us. Come on back be a contributing member, by helping or being helped. Hope you got the help you needed on wet molding.:yes:

Edited by Bert03241

well so much for coming back and telling us how it went

Heh, he's been quiet a while.  Scheduleing a visit with a coworker I used to work with.  He does really beautiful western leather work.  So hopefully he can get me going in the direction I want to go.

I went ahead and ordered the pattern from slickbald.  And used some 8oz tooling veg tan.  It came out ok.  But I seriously need to soak it, add a tightening row of stitching, and wet form it a bit more.  It will hold a GP-100.  But needs some more work.

The pattern was this one

https://a.co/d/5U1ICcW

And here's how my first try came out.

5.jpg

6.jpg

For revolvers like that . . . your front piece was way too small.

It needs to go up to the back side of the cylinder and 3/8 to 1/2 inch above it . . . and the trigger needs to be covered.

When you do that . . . the friction of the molding . . . will make it a really good holster

Slick bald sold you a junk pattern.  It should look a lot more like the image here.

May God bless,

Dwight

holster.jpg

I appreciate what you have to say Mr. Dwight.  Honestly I do.  That was the pattern that I found for this pistol.  And it was my first try at it.  I'm very certain that I didn't follow the directions well.  I'll try again here before long.  If anything I did learn a little by trying it.

3 hours ago, Dwight said:

For revolvers like that . . . your front piece was way too small.

It needs to go up to the back side of the cylinder and 3/8 to 1/2 inch above it . . . and the trigger needs to be covered.

When you do that . . . the friction of the molding . . . will make it a really good holster

Slick bald sold you a junk pattern.  It should look a lot more like the image here.

May God bless,

Dwight

holster.jpg

I use that pattern too.

D6490346-553A-4A24-8F3A-592941924EE3.thumb.jpeg.32dee84f74a14acbb1232329adff6a8a.jpeg

I have the Avenger pack from slick bald and have had to make adjustments to the patterns.  Here is one I designed and created for a client.  It is not wet molded, but is a great friction fit.

image.thumb.png.aae6dce2d67e179089884ca57270744a.png

48 minutes ago, PastorBob said:

I have the Avenger pack from slick bald and have had to make adjustments to the patterns.  Here is one I designed and created for a client.  It is not wet molded, but is a great friction fit.

image.thumb.png.aae6dce2d67e179089884ca57270744a.png

And there is the proof in the pudding . . . the cylinder is covered . . . triggerguard is covered . . . and even though there is not a lot of wet molding . . . it stays put.

Thanks Pastor Bob . . . good lookin job there.

May God bless,

Dwight

22 hours ago, Dwight said:

And there is the proof in the pudding . . . the cylinder is covered . . . triggerguard is covered . . . and even though there is not a lot of wet molding . . . it stays put.

Thanks Pastor Bob . . . good lookin job there.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks Dwight!  Appreciate your kind words and input.   My Redeemer Lives!!