Brokenolmarine

Need It, Make It

Someone posted up, Need a tool, Make a tool.  I have been using an old five pound barbell weight in a sock as a leatherworking weight.  I needed a weight or two more suited to the job.  I saw the thread and decided, It was time.  A couple factors influenced this decision. 

First:  My daughter had picked up a couple hundred dollars worth of supplies  for me from a Leather Shop in Southern Oklahoma.  Miss T sent him a paypal payment.  I got some Chrome Tan, Reptile skins, and other assorted pieces.   One of the pieces was some Suede.  Perfect... Traction. :spoton:

Second: The wife ordered thirteen tons of Limestone screenings for the cow stalls.  She could spare a couple corners of quart ziplock bags of the stuff without missing it from thirteen tons. That gave me the weight I needed.  :yes:

I pulled the green (who cares about the color) suede from the bin, and began the process, then remembered I knew nothing (Okay, little of nothing) about how to sew the dang thing.  Miss T has an entire sewing shop right next door to my Woodworking/leather shop.  :yeah:

1486327715_sheshed2c.thumb.jpg.2b4d000fe5af4b6ba93f977b1185f668.jpg

She added her experience by Ironing the suede and helping me square it up on her cutting table.  Then she explained the process she recommended to use to sew them up.

I brought the oversized pieces  back out to the shop and rolled out the 3200 and sewed the three sides, inserted a taped quart ziplock with limestone inside, and sewed up the open end.  Boom, nice weights to hold down the pieces as I work them.  One less thing to buy.

115917053_leatherworkingweights.thumb.jpg.3fd95644f6cf81354147c6620b0decf5.jpg

Not bad for a first shot.  We went out later and spread the rest of the leftover limestone in front of the Range house to keep down the copperheads. :rolleyes2:

Edited by Brokenolmarine
correction

heck yea!!! 

copperhead hides look nice!!

1 hour ago, Brokenolmarine said:

Someone posted up, Need a tool, Make a tool. . . . .  A couple factors influenced this decision. . . . .  One less thing to buy.

Not bad for a first shot.  We went out later and spread the rest of the leftover limestone in front of the Range house to keep down the copperheads. :rolleyes2:

Yep  . . .  I make a lot of mine . . .  those look real good . . .  personally like my .22 auto for copperheads . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

I'm using a couple of lead "muffins" I poured up back in my goose hunting days. I used them to hold a line of decoys in place. I Also found about 10# of mixed bird shot and made very similar weights.

Edited by Hags

3 hours ago, Dwight said:

Yep  . . .  I make a lot of mine . . .  those look real good . . .  personally like my .22 auto for copperheads . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

I have a secret weapon for copperheads....

1026877639_PrincessFionaAug2022.thumb.jpg.7b5df4347882cbe2d19d16bff1aad498.jpg

... Princess Fiona is a West Highland Terrier and she LOVES to hunt Copperheads.  She doesn't understand that they can bite her.  She hunts them in the Mondo Grass around Mom's Sewing Shop and shakes them til they don't wiggle, then spits them on the hot concrete.  Done.  Did a little research on the Westies after we got her.  She was a pup and saw a Possum in the yard, it didn't last long.  The Westies were bred in Scotland to go into tunnels and hunt rats, fox, or badgers.

Olde saying "necessity is the mother of invention".

Vicious looking attack dog you've got there!:lol:

5 hours ago, dikman said:

Olde saying "necessity is the mother of invention".

Vicious looking attack dog you've got there!:lol:

She is a sweetheart.  Unless you are a snake, squirrel, rabbit, cricket, etc.  She doesn't care for trespassers, who won't pet her and tell her she's beautiful.  

10 hours ago, Brokenolmarine said:

She is a sweetheart.  Unless you are a snake, squirrel, rabbit, cricket, etc.  She doesn't care for trespassers, who won't pet her and tell her she's beautiful.  

I'm not particularly a dog lover . . . but I could feed her some kibbles and laugh doing it.

May God bless,

Dwight