Brokenolmarine

My Second 22 Pouch

After a break, during which I mailed the first 22 pouch to the recipient, I have gotten started on the second pouch, which I will be keeping for Miss T and myself.  The first step was to thicken the sides to make the sewing easier.  (A lesson learned.)  I carefully marked and cut another pair of side panels, then glued and clamped them to set up overnight.  This will make the side panels double thickness.   When I put the angled holes thru these, they will come out between the two pieces in a consistent line.  Easy Peasy.   :D 

474992932_01starting.thumb.jpg.284f3dab5cfd4e46b7e24e555892b92f.jpg

The next morning, I took the side panels out of the clamps, and trimmed the edges to match.  Then cut the notch about 3/8" higher.  This will make the front panel higher.  I will sand the edges smooth and make sure they are smoothly rounded before assembly.  I used the side panels to measure the length needed for the main panel.

1753621675_02trimmed.thumb.jpg.0165641705ba8f1fcea4036c64dc96e1.jpg

Using a 12" carpenters square, I squared up all the edges on the panel then cut the main panel to 3-1/2" wide and to the length needed to fit the side panel.  Using a circle template, I rounded the bottom corners of the front flap. and then marked the stitch lines.  Then the borders for the tooling areas.  I also marked the area on the back where the belt loop will go.  When the prep work was done, I tooled the flap.  I decided to go with a basket weave pattern on this one, and may add a concho on the flap at the end as an accent.  I haven't decided yet.  I may or may not use magnetic closures, but I know I'm going with a belt loop on the back rather than D-Rings.   I might even buy a Ruger Wrangler specifically to go with the pouch and make a holster to go with this, and a belt, sized for Miss T, for her to wear around the Farm.  Shhhh!  :nono:  Don't tell her.  It would come in handy to put down varmints at the coop and around the west barn.  She is a sniper  with the CZ Rifle but can be deadly with the handguns as well.  

2096096946_03FlapBasketWeave.thumb.jpg.071929f1f25a41c3931dad354792d910.jpg

So far, so good.   I like basket weave.  Most of the duty gear I wore on patrol was the BW pattern.  Both the Department Chief's were fond of it... So. :dunno: ... like we had a choice.

As a firearms instructor I tried to get them to go with Ballistic Nylon.  It was much lighter, quieter, and washable.  Nope.  :deadsubject:

Looking good.  And thank you for the idea of gluing two pieces together for the sewing.  I have to do some edge stitching for a project that I'm working on,  but the holes keep tearing out because I'm using old leather.  This will solve that problem for me,  plus give me another tooling surface where I can add some additional customization.

/dwight

Really coming along well.  Basket weave is spot on.  Can't wait to see the finished project.

Out in the shop again.  Worked on tooling the front panel section of the main panel  Will come up with some accent for the corners later.  The basket weave isn't perfect, but when is it. :dunno:

1643293700_04frontpaneltooling.thumb.jpg.d4e22a5d8515ed8204929b802c646fe9.jpg

I also cut the stitch grooves down the sides for the main panel.  This is always MY pucker factor. Slip here and you are starting over. :no:  Next I cut the stitch grooves in the side panels, couldn't use the grooving tool on that.  I had to use the swivel knife.  To insure I didn't make a mistake here I worked from lessons learned.  I made sure the cutting hand was anchored to the bench and the knife was VERY sharp.  Funny how that makes it LESS likely to get away from you.

365404651_05stitchinggrooves.thumb.jpg.7b8a5f48ad4deac99b45e329b5ed3dbd.jpg

I used a new stamp to add accents to the side panels, and although not perfect, once I background them, the errors should blend.  But, I keep telling myself to "Let it go, it's not a Bespoke Wallet." ;)  Then I knocked out the piece for the belt loop. I'll sew that on prior to beginning the assembly.  We are coming along.  

721765936_07beltloop.thumb.jpg.2fc577f51f99685d7ea406ccf8c1bc7c.jpg

There will be a delay in the completion, so watch for updates.  My oldest daughter and family are flying in today from VA.  Their first visit since we moved two years ago.  :banana:  They are staying four or five days and then flying back.  My middle daughter will drive up from Southern Oklahoma for a couple days as well.  The Brother's in law have never met, neither have the granddaughters.

Hey you old leatherneck hope you have a great family reunion and then get back here and show us the finised product:thumbsup:

I learn so much by reading what everybody posts on this site. 

For example, turn that 22 case on its side, and it has a lot on common with a camera case. I'm taking careful notes. Thanks for the pictures and the verbiage. 

The design is quite similar to the piece in my avatar!  Nice work.  I still have mine, not sure what to do with it.  Doesn't have a snap or a belt loop.  Maybe I'll put those on there and put it to use some how!

YinTx

My guests have left, and it was a great week, but not only did the Daughter come up from VA come up with her family for five days, but halfway thru her visit; the Daughter from Southern OK came up with her family.  :yes:  The little farmhouse was busting at the seams.  None of them had seen each other for years, and the BILs and Granddaughter's had never met.  Good visit all around for the most part.  

On Saturday, we visited a Antique Shop Warehouse Sale (Junkshop, call it what it is...) but I think I scored.  The guy buys storage building units when they auction them for non payment.  I found a stack of leather working stuff.  I made an offer on the contents of three trays, and he names a price.  I had recently spent that much for a small bag at Hobby Lobby so I jumped on it.... $150.

MOST of the things were still in the Tandy Bags, but some of the hardware was in slots in the trays and had become mixed and disorganized.  I brought the trays home and spent a couple hours sorting and organizing them.  I did the math, I'm pretty sure I got my money's worth in the concho tray at least.  There were also five or six sets of Rivet / Snap setting tools and some needles etc, not shown.

one.thumb.jpg.88caef1b8e120f64d5e23f99e4266c69.jpg

two.thumb.jpg.6e7d54070f3b66e9a3a7884046ee48d1.jpg

three.thumb.jpg.b1077eee76d081e0a5310c7343202344.jpg

There are items in here I know I'll need in upcoming projects, and some I might not use for a good while, but nothing I can't see using later.  There were a few fancy decorative items like silver beads and things, belt tips and buckles that went into another tray not shown.

Back at work the last two days.  I started by wet forming the belt slot for the back using my glass burnishing tool. 632177059_08wetformed.thumb.jpg.ba436e4957cc17f57035f1f3359c436d.jpg

Worked out very well.  I continued to work on it and will eventually sew it into position after finishing.    Next, I had made the decision to use a strap and post closure on this pouch, so I worked on making the strap.  The first few didn't work for me, so I set them aside to use as test beds for the hole and slot cuts.  The final one is in the far right of the picture below.  It will be attached with a chicago screw so it can be easily replaced if it gets worn or torn out.  Reading about their use in the civil war, they were often replaced on the ammo pouches on both sides.

Next I punched both sets of holes for sewing. The straight holes in the main panel are never an issue, but the angled holes are always a PITA.  Those took two sessions.  Slow and careful.  They crowded a bit in the turns. Meh, You won't see the sides that much.  I'll keep telling myself that.

894232814_09holes.thumb.jpg.04e78b082ab4c02a9154fde25d920ef4.jpg

I knew the look I wanted, so I dyed the project pieces with Yellow dye.  The first coat was way too bright on that light leather, but the second coat darkened up to a fall leaf color when dry.  I knew I was going to antique later, so I was good with two.

2077284046_10yellowdye.thumb.jpg.62134f76d2c1e28b67d0ef2f8c3f9106.jpg

While the dye dried, I practiced on my border work using scraps.  The top is a Rope design, and the bottom is a technique called Ribbon.  Practice, practice.  The Ribbon is still eluding me a bit, but a lot better than when I started.  Then it was a hot mess. 

643683849_11borderpractice.thumb.jpg.087a06d5778f2b0bd84d15270144b2c5.jpg

At this point I apply the first finish to the leather with the dye dry, to create a barrier between the dyed leather and the antique to come.  This way wiped away antique doesn't darken the areas I want clear.

584383455_12finish.thumb.jpg.6567642e768369f186b6c25203d5ebb7.jpg

While waiting for the barrier to dry, I pull another scrap and the angled Basket Weave Stamp.  This stamp has always given me trouble and practice will be the only way I'll master it.  Practice makes Perfect... yeah, Right. ;)  The key here is a solid reference line and not slipping when you match the angles.

51327270_13bwpractice.thumb.jpg.23695f245a5e4c18f390e0361fbee9df.jpg

While I was stamping my heart out, the dye finish dried and I would apply the antique.  Apply, wipe, reapply as needed, wipe off the excess, shoot. :rolleyes2:  Ah, Reapply, and wipe.

I'll leave that to dry overnight so it will stay where it's at unless wiped with a damp cloth.

1155679802_14anteek.thumb.jpg.95fb835c498e28b70421dc0c9df7e327.jpg

Wow, that antique really makes that basketweave pop!

Came out this morning and wiped the antique as needed with that damp cloth, mainly on the various edges where needed.  Then applied a sheen finish to lock it in.

Once that dries I'll begin assembly with sewing on the belt loop and attaching the post to the bottom of the main panel, then sewing.  The pull strap can be attached after.

1746550661_15sheenapplied.thumb.jpg.a3dab79442db945df3a0ca4fe0e92ba5.jpg

Got back to work on it, and it was time to sew.  Rolled out the Cowboy and checked the bobbin before beginning.  :rolleyes2:  Almost empty.  This is a new machine to a rookie to sewing, so I looked up "How to fill the bobbin on your Cowboy 3200."  The owner's manual did a good job and I figured why not fill them all, if I had to set up and fill one.  There were eight, I filled five with white thread since I do more of that than black.  The remaining three I filled with black.  After the detour to bobbinville, it was time to sew. :yes:

I used a scrap of old belt the correct width to keep the wet formed loop in proper orientation and sewed 'er down.  Yeah, sounds like it went smooth as silk.  It did, but at a snail's pace.

40228212_16sewn.thumb.jpg.5128164b96b268cfa0ecac6a9eb1c96c.jpg

I made a small mistake, but I'll bevel the edge and hide that enough that it won't keep me up nights.  Besides,  it's the belt loop, it will be on the back. :thinking:  

Next I had to remark the position for the hole for the post for the strap that will act as my closure for the flap.  I had it marked, but try as I might, my x-ray vision couldn't locate the original marking thru the dye.  Old Batman can't see so good these days.  I got 'er done, and then punched the hole from both sides to insure neatness, even though the hole will be covered by the post.  Anal... guess it is a good thing.  

458953551_17holeforpost.thumb.jpg.3e4e72e1068ce5f21b642e7477abb8c2.jpg

Now, finally, as Johnny Five would say.  Assemble.  I had ordered a set of leather needles, specifically for the two pairs of CURVED needles in the set.  I was sure they would make the box stitches easier. :banana:  I threaded up the larger of the two pairs and started stitching.  After a couple pairs of holes, I discovered I was wrong.  :no:  Okay, maybe the smaller pair of curved needles.  I threaded them up instead.  I stitched up three more holes.  :wacko:  Nope.  I gave up and threaded the original smaller straight needles I have used all along and got busy.  PITA can be my nickname for the next few hours.  But I knocked out about half of one side before my neck, shoulders, and back began whining like a six year old girl who missed her nap.

466419148_18strain.thumb.jpg.fbae0a5e1d2c505fb6914fceae4ec02c.jpg

I did get back out after a couple hours break, and knocked out the rest of this side, installed the post, and then started on the other side.  I forgot my phone so no pics yet.  I'll get some pics and an update later.  We are getting close to the end.  Once she is all sewn up, I'll attach the strap and do some minor detail work and touch up with the dye... and done.

Waiting for a callback from the VA, so I brought the pouch in the house to sew.  I got 'er knocked out.  Still have cosmetics to do; and the closure strap to attach with chicago screws in case I need to replace it later.  I'll slip out to the shop this evening and get that done.

Overall, I'm happy.

A quarter view.  You can see the post installed at the bottom center for the closure strap.

1524802001_19sewn.thumb.jpg.b6180b1a4ea66bf8ea90443db29c6328.jpg

Here is the front view.  I'll use TWO chicago screws on the strap to insure it's pulling tight.

830178265_20sewn2.thumb.jpg.1b121f192132c953dbcb3e1814a7e7f0.jpg

Last but not least, an open view...

1057916286_21sewn3.thumb.jpg.16563e4900581045a0d5b6e28845f013.jpg

I will post a view of the pouch once I have done the touchup on the dye, finished the edges and put the closure strap in place.

But, you get the idea.... 

I waited by the phone until 4:30 local time, when the VA staff would have gone home, then went to the shop and finished the pouch.  I am pretty happy with the way it turned out.  I'm thinking it came out pretty close to the plan in my head.  It's pretty crowded in there, but I'm thinking this is what I had in mind. :dunno:

1081221833_23completedtoo.thumb.jpg.205111b1732e0d69a326016d9e783afe.jpg

As always, I learned a few things, made some mistakes, and hopefully will be able to remember them the next time out.  :rolleyes2:  I will still have a few touch up things to do, but the pouch is usable now and I have the feeling it will last a long time.  

1611802013_22completed.thumb.jpg.0e027e129f637b250b0935b2c3046d1e.jpg

Color this project ... Done.

I think you did a very nice job on that.  Looks like a great way to carry extra ammo while walking around. 

I thought doubling the side panels would make stitching easier, boy was I wrong.  I think striking a line around the edge of the side panel on the show face and the side for a consistent angle would increase the ease of box stitching.

Marine,

Great write up and step by step presentation. Thanks for taking the time to talk thru the process. Nice work!

Joe