rktaylor

Mule Skin Horn Wrap

I am working on a saddle with a wood post horn. I want to wrap it with mule skin, but all I can find is gray. Does it come in other colors? Is there a suitable substitute in burgundy? Thanks,

Randy

Pretty much gray in the US unless somebody has changed it up in the last few years. I got a few sides of a nice tan color from Canada several years ago. 

That gray is all I have seen and I would be afraid it would bleed if you tried to dye it, even with a sealer. I am pretty sure I have seen some cutesy ones done up with suede, (pink and turquoise), not intended for any real work of course. I recently did a wood post wrapped in latigo. I like it. I have used the mule too, but I don't rope. Not sure if rough or smooth is best. Mule is rough when new and latigo and rubber are smooth. I think the squeeze of the rope is as important as the slip so I am sure it comes down to personal preference. Cowboys may want the rope to grab for some situations and slip in others so job may have something to do with it too.

Gray is all I've ever seen. It is THE #1 leather for hay chaps in my area, and I've dozens of them. If there was another color I would have found it.

Just now, tsunkasapa said:

Gray is all I've ever seen. It is THE #1 leather for hay chaps in my area, and I've made dozens of them. If there was another color I would have found it.

Hello Randy, 

I have dyed horn wraps in the past and had no issues.  However, I personally use any decent chap leather or used old tie latigos for my horn wraps - Just put them on rough side out.  If you cut a piece of burgundy latigo and thin it down to 6 or so oz it should work fine!  Ropes run fast on latigo horn wraps if its a really firm leather!  Soft chap leather grabs a rope a lot more, firm stuff will take more dally's to get something big stopped!  I personally won't use latigo smooth side out.  It can be tough for a rookie like me to get enough dallies on fast enough if things get western.

Check out these guys:  https://www.dhrss.com/hornwraps.html  They stock latigo, regular and dyed wraps.  I have heard good things about boar hide.  Apparently it stands up well.  https://www.dwdixonsaddles.com/store/p262/Boar__Hide_Horn_Wrap.html

In my opinion most important thing is to have a nice funnel shape down to base of horn so your dallies stack nicely.

Cheers,

Ron L

12 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

It is THE #1 leather for hay chaps in my area, and I've dozens of them.

I hadn't heard of or seen hay chaps in our area, where most of the small bales are still loaded and stacked by hand.  The hay chaps I see online are similar to a farrier's apron without the added layer on the thigh.  Would enjoy seeing the chaps you make.  Thinking about making a new farrier's apron for myself.  I've rasped through the stitching a few too many times and edges are ragged.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Based on this discussion, I plan to use a burgundy latigo wrap with the rough side out. If he doesn't like it, switching to mule should be easy enough.

I made a lot (seemed like it) of money hauling hay when I was younger. Now hay haulers in our area are on the endangered species list, thus chaps don't seem necessary.

Take care,

Randy

Around here, horn wraps are decorative, so I use latigo.  However, the last piece of mule hide I purchased was just long enough for one decent wrap.  Luckily, I didn't screw up on it, because I don't believe I would have had a longer section to cover a mistake.  

Your story about hay haulers is similar to farriers around here.  They are few and far between.  

Good luck on your saddle,

Ron

You know the difference between a horse shoer and a dog with no legs?

There is no difference, you can call them all you want but, they still won't come...

On 8/5/2022 at 7:24 PM, Cattledude said:

You know the difference between a horse shoer and a dog with no legs?

There is no difference, you can call them all you want but, they still won't come...

That's funny. I've had that experience, but thankfully I now have a more reliable farrier. 

On 8/4/2022 at 7:14 PM, Goldshot Ron said:

Good luck on your saddle,

Ron

Thanks Ron. I'll post pictures next month. 

Randy

wrapyourwood.com

Plenty of different colors to chose from and they sell to working guys all the time

As a side note unless you're used to and handy with a slick horn Latigo socks to dally on. Doesn't grip very well so you have to stack a few extra dallies on to get bigger critters slowed down. Elk hide grips better than Latigo but doesn't last as long as mule. Just my opinion and possibly not worth what you paid for it. Lol