ScottEnglish

Tax and customs when buying from Goods Japan

If I spend £135 or less on goods and shipping from Goods Japan then I won't have to pay tax and duty when the goods are delivered to my home in the UK. But I will have to pay VAT at 20%. Is this correct?

Thanks.

Scott

Not necessarily. HMRC is a law unto themselves.

They'll add any postage paid to your goods order and will charge you import duty plus 20% on top of that, irrespective of the value of the order, i.e. it won't matter if its below the £135 or not. Then the courier will add a fee of between £10 and £25 on top of that for paying the customs fees on your behalf

OR. . . a small parcel might just escape their notice and you'll not be charged at all.

(info acquired on a modelling forum; buyers experiences of buying models from Japan)

I´m late to the show here but in case you buy the goods on Ebay then (usually) Ebay charges you the VAT automatically and in some cases even the import tax and forward it to the Gov. Then your seller gets a code he has to write on the address label so the carriers know VAT / Tax is paid. Thats at least what I experienced.

Like Ebay or not but when it comes to international purchases Ebay often the easiest way to buy goods from foreign countries.

Check this:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-and-overseas-goods-sold-directly-to-customers-in-the-uk

Edited by Constabulary