It's done! Next on the list: a set of coasters for my sweet wife, and a replacement camera case for my son's antique Minolta SRT201.

This was a fun project. It took so long because it's a hobby, not a job. I envy those of you who can turn around projects faster than this.

I did find two serious design flaws.

1. The three folds? gussets? (the places where it bends) are all the same 2-inch width. I should have made the inner one 1.5, the middle one 2.5, and the outer one 3.5 inches. I thought the 2 inches would be more than adequate for the tools inside.
  2. Related to that, I need to rethink the closure. I had been planning on using a simple Prusik knot to attach a 12-inch thong to the flap, and then wrapping the thong around a concho in the foreground of the waterfall. Now I don't know if I really want to do that. So for now, I've tied it shut with a bootlace. Got any advice for me?

Some things I like about the design:

1. The inner panels are removable and interchangeable. I'm going to make a second panel for stamping tools, to replace either the handled tools panel or the inner pouch. And if I decide to trade leatherwork for another hobby, I can design brand-new panels.
  2. The lacing looks so retro! I love it! My next project will be sewn, but I love the old-style look of this double-loop lacing.
  3. The carving and coloring is *chef's kiss*. After a hiatus of more than 30 years, I've still got it. But now I need to get serious about brushing up on Western Floral.

Outside and inside

20220805_090558.jpg.7567d7d3a48b97d2641011be603027f2.jpg     20220805_091113.jpg.bf1d0baad66ed7bb9edbc87cf9a60663.jpg

One-third closed. This panel is hidden when it's fully closed.

20220805_091204.jpg.a1147a8d5e739c0f8f3ebd311656144d.jpg

Front, back, and side when closed

20220805_091332.jpg.436f09b5fc633d80c0ee5a926ff95e22.jpg     20220805_091307.jpg.5c25b6d2691a59d573c3297c82db3b91.jpg     20220805_091429.jpg.642d2c844fe8a711f7c89c080cfe7f52.jpg

Tied shut with a bootlace

20220805_091506.jpg.d5f066e3db684e94520906056bfaf160.jpg     20220805_091501.jpg.faeceb3da741565a73ee0307754a2ac4.jpg

I carved this little piece to match the base of the waterfall. I was going to color it to match, and cut out a circle in the right place, so I could use it as a concho . . . 

20220805_145931.thumb.jpg.0364b9086e4500281d63f7e0d64166ef.jpg

Edited by OldCanuck

I think it turned out great. I like how colorful it is and that it is easy to carry. 

I bet the lace reached the county, :rofl:. That  is more double loop stitching than I have done in all my years in the craft.

For the closure maybe something like a hand clutch closure . You could put the female part on the top flap and attach the male end to the end of a strap and wrap it around like your string. I would hate to do to much more than that, it might ruin the beautiful scenery you tooled. Let us know what you come up with.

Wow, that's a huge piece, was not expecting that!  Fantastic work.  And thanks for the pointers for anyone making something similar.

YinTx

16 hours ago, rleather said:

I think it turned out great. I like how colorful it is and that it is easy to carry. 

I bet the lace reached the county, :rofl:. That  is more double loop stitching than I have done in all my years in the craft.

For the closure maybe something like a hand clutch closure . You could put the female part on the top flap and attach the male end to the end of a strap and wrap it around like your string. I would hate to do to much more than that, it might ruin the beautiful scenery you tooled. Let us know what you come up with.

:-D That was a lot of lace. It took me the entire Star Wars trilogy (4, 5, and 6) to get it done. 

Thanks for the closure idea. 

Looks great.  Maybe someday I'll take on some painting / dying like that.

For a closure, how about just a tooled leather strap and buckle?  Tool and color it to complement your current design, then you could possibly attach it to the back of the case or just leave it unattached like your current bootlace.

/dwight

awesome work, beautiful tooling and colors , great job.:You_Rock_Emoticon::yes:

I've looked at this a dozen times and cant find a suitable expression. . everything about it is exceptional, well thought out and really purdy!!!

All I can say is wow!  that sure beats carrying them around in an old plastic pretzel container.  Stunning!

On 8/6/2022 at 8:27 AM, DwightT said:

For a closure, how about just a tooled leather strap and buckle?  Tool and color it to complement your current design, then you could possibly attach it to the back of the case or just leave it unattached like your current bootlace.

That's a good idea. I'll put some more thought into that one.

On 7/25/2022 at 5:46 PM, GatoGordo said:

I use a wooden paint stirrer. It is free, light, and when working in a narrow area, can be used on its side.

On 7/25/2022 at 4:19 PM, Resurgam3191 said:

Made one out of a 3" plywood square from hobby lobby one time. 3mm thick. Worked good. I'd show a pic but it's buried under a mound of junk on my bench 

On 7/25/2022 at 3:57 PM, fredk said:

This subject came up in another thread but I can't find it right now

I made one if these thingies out of a scrap piece of clear acrylic

chisel support, 01LW.jpg

On 7/25/2022 at 4:10 PM, zuludog said:

Ah! Of Course! It's a Thingy!

Perhaps I'll get round to making one, one day.

On 8/5/2022 at 3:41 PM, rleather said:

On 8/5/2022 at 3:42 PM, YinTx said:

Wow, that's a huge piece, was not expecting that!  Fantastic work.  And thanks for the pointers for anyone making something similar.

YinTx

On 8/6/2022 at 8:27 AM, DwightT said:

Looks great.  Maybe someday I'll take on some painting / dying like that.

/dwight

On 8/6/2022 at 1:59 PM, Resurgam3191 said:

Especially love the mountain scenes. Outstanding!

On 8/7/2022 at 1:19 PM, Bert03241 said:

awesome work, beautiful tooling and colors , great job.:You_Rock_Emoticon::yes:

On 8/7/2022 at 2:10 PM, chuck123wapati said:

I've looked at this a dozen times and cant find a suitable expression. . everything about it is exceptional, well thought out and really purdy!!!

On 8/8/2022 at 5:36 AM, PastorBob said:

All I can say is wow!  that sure beats carrying them around in an old plastic pretzel container.  Stunning!

Thanks to all of you for your comments and your advice! @PastorBob, my wife is happy that I'm returning her Tupperware container to the kitchen. :)