PAMuzzle

Using a 1-3/4” oblong punch

I just bought an Osborne 1-3/4” oblong punch. This punch was sharpened before being sent to me.

What weight mallet should I be using to cut thru 2 layers 6-7 oz leather?

What would be best base?  I’ve read people use a tree stump or 6x6 or larger posts on floor.  Also, people use a plastic cutting board on marble.

I have a 10x10x2” thick end grain Teak wood cutting board, would that work on top of a post?

Looking for input before I wear out my arm or destroy this fairly expensive tool.

Thanks.

If you have a small piece of marble . . . put it on the table . . . and put a couple pieces of scrap leather under what you are punching.  

Wood is not good as eventually you will have cuts in it that will cause your punch to cut ugly holes . . . plastic cutting boards will destroy your tool . . . teak cutting boards are mainly for salmon, bass, and bluegill (just kidding) . . . they seriously should not be used with your tool.

Use the leather . . . when you think you are pretty close to going thru . . . tip it over and see . . . that is exactly what I've done for 20 some odd years . . .  works great.

May God bless,

Dwight

I've been using a kitchen chopping board ( not a cheapie) ,for all my cutting tools,  but its a soft plastic, not hard. The hard plastic will blunt tools in no time.

If its good enough for expensive knives, its good enough for me . 

HS

If you live in central North Carolina I’d help ya  get a tree trunk! It sucks up impact, looks cool, and you can hang shhtuff off of it. I Al so use a 8x8 scrap piece of leather that I have used for years, sometimes I use belt scrap.

If you are using cutting board material, marble, or other man made base it’s gonna dull your edge

if you go to a wood supply depot or other place - get 5-4X4 post or 4-6X6 post and and cut them in half (all the same length) at a comfortable height for you, normally a bit above the belly button, then make a square shape with what ever size wood you pick out. Use 9 - 4x4 post 3 wide and 3 deep all 4 feet long (standing on end) Ise a ratchet strap to squeeze then together, barrow a router to make em level (route it smooth every 6 to 8 years) add  2 scrap chunks of thick leather (I use just  one)

Now you have a leather working anvil - feel free to contact me with questions 

Edited by Doc Reaper
Added info

I use an Osborne 3 lb rawhide mallet (#393-3) for all my drive punches.  Well balanced and should last a lifetime, at least the time I have remaining.;)  Second the idea of punching on a stone surface covered with a layer that won't damage the punch.  I use a poly clicker board on a piece of granite. 

Thanks guys.  I think I will build a wood post on the floor and use granite and top with a couple layers of thick leather.

I have a 2 lb hammer that I will try.  If that doesn’t work, I’ll go to Lowe’s for a 8 lb steel sledge…what could it hurt? LOL

166EF0A8-CE00-4DBD-B96F-E43691F0B74A.jpeg

Edited by PAMuzzle

Don't use a metal headed hammer on it.  It will eventually mushroom out the head of the punch.  

Scoutmom103…this I know,  my hammer is nylon and hard rubber.

On 8/6/2022 at 3:08 AM, Doc Reaper said:

If you live in central North Carolina I’d help ya  get a tree trunk! It sucks up impact, looks cool, and you can hang shhtuff off of it. I Al so use a 8x8 scrap piece of leather that I have used for years, sometimes I use belt scrap.

If you are using cutting board material, marble, or other man made base it’s gonna dull your edge

if you go to a wood supply depot or other place - get 5-4X4 post or 4-6X6 post and and cut them in half (all the same length) at a comfortable height for you, normally a bit above the belly button, then make a square shape with what ever size wood you pick out. Use 9 - 4x4 post 3 wide and 3 deep all 4 feet long (standing on end) Ise a ratchet strap to squeeze then together, barrow a router to make em level (route it smooth every 6 to 8 years) add  2 scrap chunks of thick leather (I use just  one)

Now you have a leather working anvil - feel free to contact me with questions 

For example...

Basic Saddle Stitch Tutorial By Nigel Armitage

Thanks all.  May go with the 4x4’s.  Lowe’s has untreated Douglas Fir 4x4x8 posts

Doc Reaper and Tugadude…

would you recommend Hardwood stump or soft wood like Doug Fir?

The original clicker pad on my model C mechanical clicker was end-grain hardwood. Although it is serviceable I use 2x20x40 red poly pad.  I think a hardwood stump would work ok.  You could keep up the surface with belt sander.