Gulrok

Leather Supply Companies - Good and Bad?

and as usual, I'm contrary. I think it looks good the way it is

14 hours ago, Gulrok said:

So at this point - I'm working on the website and trying to get it ready / modular enough to accept new products. 

Things I've done so far

1) I have a tool maker making me custom tools.
2) I have one vendor for hand sewing threads.
3) Website is coming along.

--

Things I have to continue 
1) I want more thread vendors and options.
2) I'm in contact with tanneries w/o contracts/agreements yet.
3) I'm finishing branding - the artist we're working with is driving me a little bit crazy right now. I'm not super happy with the logo.

I'm attaching the logo - thoughts? 

UnionSupplyLeatherLogo.png

EDIT: So the brand name is Union Leather Supply. 

It looks to insipid to me. No strength and it needs to be a lot bolder. For package branding and stamping I would look to how it looks in black and white only and the font needs to be strong and simple to read -

Union Leather Supply

My take is that you're trying for a patriotic flavour (the word Union and parts of the Stars and Stripes?) and being American I can understand that. A simpler font might be better - the lettering used in est 2022 looks quite nice - and yes, drop the 2022, it's too early for that. Personally, if you're going for the patriotic look then a waving flag as the background would look better and will be instantly recognisable. On the other hand you could use the original flag of the Northern States, with the word Union, depends what you're trying to achieve (although I suppose it could upset buyers from the South :rolleyes2:).

Union Leather Supply Company has a more olde world feel to it but may be getting a bit wordy? Maybe shorten it to ULSC?

By the way, there's no charge if you use my ideas.:lol:

I think that RockyAussie has a good point in that the font needs to be easier to read.

The logo itself reminds me of a logo that is on the burger buns that you can buy in Lidl, but if the service and the products are top notch, the logo is not important for me as a customer. 

I would probably go for a logo that would look good on a paper bag or on a shopping bag if that makes sense? given that if people comes into you shop and buy something, a logo that might attract a curious eye while the customer walks home with it would be a cheap way of making a bit of PR. 
Perhaps on a background shape of a half moon knife or something else that a person with interest in leatherworking can recognize. Or the background could be a silhouette of the USA, both of those would work without colour which to me often signifies professionalism. 

Brgds

Jonas 

So before the pandemic started we had a brand called "Amopelle Co" - its since been redone to "Amopelle Leather Co". In the middle of the pandemic we started our first responder brand doing equipment for them (including local contracts for repairs, union specific items, etc). Well, as the pandemic progressed our first responder brand (both me and the wife work in Fire/EMS field) took off and exceeded Amopelle. It does about 4-5x the work every month that Amopelle does. 

So here are aesthetics from the two brands we have. Amopelle doesn't do nearly as much work as Frontline does. 

I really like the aspects of the logo from Amopelle though. (I like both). I think that I could reach out to the designer and as for a similar style to be done for union leather supply. 

( The second row left column is the logo Amopelle uses ). 

95d6f8b6-76c7-45bb-b8d3-c4d94f59cf95.JPG

sample.jpg

Edited by Gulrok

I really like the Amopelle logos! 

The Frontline Leather looks like a fireman's or a police officers badge which I guess is the idea, so that makes great sense for the first responder segment.
Anyone who sees it will intuitively in their mind connect it with first responders of some sort, and especially if you are in that field of work it will trigger an interest.

I would guess that your company will mainly try to sell to people who are already in one way or another interested in working with leather. So by using something easily recognizable you kind of make them feel like they are members of a "secret club" (I know it sounds corny) - and I think that would give them the interest to learn more and maybe even visit you store/webshop just after seeing your logo on someone's shopping bag whom they met in the bus.

If you took the crossed halfmoon knife and mallet logo, remove the A,

Union goes above the logo
Leather goes on the left side of the logo
Supply goes to the right side of the logo
Company or Estbl 2022 goes below.

If you want to make a border then make a rectangular border around that looks like a hand sewn leather stitching with slanted stitches.

I have made a pitiful attempt of a sketch, the proportions are wrong and the stitching line is uneven :-) That would look good in my opinion both as stamped on a piece of leather or as a logo on a business card.

IMG_3642.jpg.0da6827b7ecffe57d48d89d5a20f13d0.jpg

Now that sketch looks very much like the old communist "hammer and sickle" symbol ;)

@Klara No it dont :-)

(well maybe a bit) :lol:

This is my second posting here! One company offered goat skins at a good  price, so I purchased 5, the bank declined the purchase because of insufficient funds. When I make a purchase for $150 with a new shop I discovered, I don’t Leave any more than that! I get pissed off when they turn that $150 charge in to a $375 charge without my consent. I even stated to them that price difference warrants a phone call. they replied that the $150 was for the small goat skins, all they got in were the extra large skins. I refuse to do business with that company, some of ya know who that was!

4 hours ago, Doc Reaper said:

when they turn that $150 charge in to a $375 charge without my consent.

Seems reasonable they would contact you to VERIFY that you're okay with the MORE THAN DOUBLE price change. They SHOULD have simply said that they are OUT of the item you ordered, and ASKED if you'd like the other item.  What they did is absurd, and I agree that you could refuse their "service".  Difference here is ... I would be NAMING them.  Publicly, profusely, and loudly.  I would keep the original AND a digital copy of the original order AND the charge AND the bank overdraft (with date) and WELCOME any 'legal action' they want to take about my statements.  PUH LEEZE sue me ... so we can sit in a court room (with me, probably more than one ;) ) and talk about doubled debits to my account and any 'threats' you made about suing me.

People are NUTS these days in general.  Somehow have got the idea that they're allowed to do pretty much whatever they want and if you complain there's something wrong WITH YOU ?@!

On 8/12/2022 at 10:35 PM, RockyAussie said:

needs to be a lot bolder.

Yup.  Too much emphasis on the "artwork" and not nearly enough on emphasizing the BUSINESS.

Used to be a fiver.com thing (or something like that)... seriously people would COMPETE for your business at things like this logo stuff... FOR $5!  Just to get some recognition,  I suppose, but I talked to people a few years back who had entire web sites made (well) for a handful of dollars ...

OH, OH .. good space for a "plug" for somebody...  DO order with Bob at Toledo Ind Sewing. 

• When I ordered thread, Bob called to make sure what he had was what I wanted, and
  • when I had a sewing issue, Bob recommended a plan on what to get AND WHY, and
  • when I ordered just a bit, Bob contacted to remind me that what I USUALLY order would fit in the same box, thus same shipping cost, instead of ordering that other thing in a couple weeks and paying $12-15 in shipping I could have avoided (but he didn't ASSUME that and just do it without telling me)

Edited by JLSleather

Very easy to understand. Bold letters that will be easy to read even from ten feet away when the parcel delivery has to look into their truck to find the correct package.  (If you should use it on company tape to seal all your outgoing parcels).

I am not sure about the hole in the neck of the hide though? 

1 hour ago, Mulesaw said:

Very easy to understand. Bold letters that will be easy to read even from ten feet away when the parcel delivery has to look into their truck to find the correct package.  (If you should use it on company tape to seal all your outgoing parcels).

I can definitely take the hole out.

Also could change to a needle/awl combo. 

Free_Sample_By_Wix-2.jpeg

That's probably more readily identifiable, the hide image would only be obvious to someone who works with leather whereas the needle and awl is a bit more generic. And yes, I too like the Amopelle, particularly the left one, it's clean and easily read.

5 minutes ago, dikman said:

That's probably more readily identifiable, the hide image would only be obvious to someone who works with leather whereas the needle and awl is a bit more generic. And yes, I too like the Amopelle, particularly the left one, it's clean and easily read.

My guess is that I'm overcomplicating things. The ULS with the needle and awl or leather should be just fine.

5 hours ago, Mulesaw said:

If you can afford it, company tape for all your packages would be a good idea, I think. At Micropolis we had a box that would otherwise have been lost come back to us because of the tape. I'm not a fan of the hole in the hide either, but a hide without hole is being used by https://www.decocuir.com/ Probably not internationally protected, but it's how the shortcut appears in my browser...

15 hours ago, Gulrok said:

Been looking into more easy logos. Thoughts?

Free_Sample_By_Wix.jpeg

NO

13 hours ago, Gulrok said:

I can definitely take the hole out.

Also could change to a needle/awl combo. 

Free_Sample_By_Wix-2.jpeg

NO

A problem you will face with sourcing from Central and South American vendors is that they will send you nice samples at a very competative price. The first two or three shipments will be fine and then the quality will decrease dramatically for the remander of your orders. I've had it happen to me and I've seen it happen over and over to other retail leather vendors. Many times the outbound salesman doesn't even realize this will happen. I'm not slandering the rest of America, you get what you pay for. Even Tandy gets jived sometimes. 

Also, you might think about using the name Union unless you will be ok with employees unionizing as the business grows. 

The awl and needle combo looks good, but I think that the needle should be substituted with a bigger tool such as a half moon knife or a French skiver. there kind of lacks some "mass" of tools in the logo. 

I also think that it is a bit like naming your dog or children. Every name sounds a bit wrong until you have used them 5 times, from that point on it is clear that it was correct.
So maybe we in here are helping you overcomplicate the whole thing. :-)

I am pretty sure that whatever the name or logo, it'll be a great place to shop for leather products. 

Maybe it is a stupid question, but is there any reason why you want to make a new company instead of doing the Union Leather Supply under the Amopelle brand? 
That brand has a nice looking logo, a good name which includes the name leather. Nothing suggests that it is only finished leather products that you are selling, Tandy is also called Tandy Leahter, but everyone knows that they won't sell you a leather jacket, but they will happily sell you a pattern, some leather and tools for making one.

Brgds

Jonas

@Gulrok I like the new print and font, it’s easy to read and recognizable.  I have to agree with @Mulesaw, to me the needle and awl logo says “sewing”, but you’re going to be more than sewing, so I’d say a round knife and either the sewing needle or even a maul (not a mallet). 

On 8/15/2022 at 10:18 AM, Gulrok said:

Been looking into more easy logos. Thoughts?

Free_Sample_By_Wix.jpeg

You are selling leather and mostly to people that would know the leather symbol (without the hole) so for me this one is good. 

On 8/15/2022 at 12:29 PM, Viles said:

Also, you might think about using the name Union unless you will be ok with employees unionizing as the business grows. 

Haha no issues with unionizing. I'm assuming if my employees think they need to unionize that I'm doing something wrong and need to fix some of the things we're doing. If they choose to unionize then we've done well. 

( I'm pro union having been in one myself. We'll see if we ever come to that bridge. ) 

--

On 8/15/2022 at 7:12 PM, Mulesaw said:

The awl and needle combo looks good, but I think that the needle should be substituted with a bigger tool such as a half moon knife or a French skiver. there kind of lacks some "mass" of tools in the logo. 

I also think that it is a bit like naming your dog or children. Every name sounds a bit wrong until you have used them 5 times, from that point on it is clear that it was correct.
So maybe we in here are helping you overcomplicate the whole thing. :-)

I am pretty sure that whatever the name or logo, it'll be a great place to shop for leather products. 

Maybe it is a stupid question, but is there any reason why you want to make a new company instead of doing the Union Leather Supply under the Amopelle brand? 
That brand has a nice looking logo, a good name which includes the name leather. Nothing suggests that it is only finished leather products that you are selling, Tandy is also called Tandy Leahter, but everyone knows that they won't sell you a leather jacket, but they will happily sell you a pattern, some leather and tools for making one.

Brgds

Jonas

That's a solid idea. I'll discuss that with the girl and get back. Maybe keeping it under Amopelle is not a bad idea. 

You're right.. the logo is nice and does work already.