Texxut

Number plate on Consew 206RB machine?

What is the silver numbered plate on the side of the Consew 206RB sewing machine mean?

serial or model number?

glenn

I don't know how to post a pic yet. The machine is a Consew 206RB-2. The plate, in question, is located below the lip of the bed. It is marked: "THA9906585". Any idea when the machine was made? It does say "made in Japan" on the Model # plate. Thanks for the help, and i am sure I will have many questions in the future about this machine. At the moment I am reading everything I can find on it, but I can't find everything I have questions about. I am new to industrial sewing machines. 

Consew 206RB-2.jpg

looks like a serial # to me!

Edited by DanaStanley

These are great machines - you’ll love it!
Keep in mind this design was and is sold by a number of manufacturers and there is a lot of good information out there, but the Consew manuals weren’t the most detailed.   Is it the Seiko  STH-8BLD that’s about the same machine?   Anyway, your machine was made by Seiko and will have Seiko cast into the underside somewhere.

The two quirks about this machine that are different from those based on the Singer 111w155/Juki Lu-562, etc. are how the hook is adjusted and the interaction of the needle with the hook.   If someone who isn’t familiar with this design it’s very easy to mistakenly use the screws on the hook to adjust needle-to-hook timing.   That’s a sure fire way to have problems even if it sews for a while.  These screws are for hook to needle spacing, but timing is handled back further on the shaft where there are three screws on a hub.

The other quirk has to do with the orientation of the needle and hook - if someone doesn’t watch for it and the hook is damaged slightly (bent inward slightly) or not made correctly, the tip of the hook might not be able to get close to the needle before it’s deflected by the body of the hook.  This gives the impression that the hook should be moved closer to the needle, but no amount of adjustment will reduce the hook-to-needle gap further (in just bangs up the needle) and the hook should be replaced.   Don’t believe anyone on Amazon or EBay that claims to be selling Genuine Seiko hooks - they aren’t.   Aftermarket hooks may or may not fit your original bobbins - some are just small enough that the bobbins are a few .001” too large.  

Other than that, most adjustment information for other machines that look similar to yours are usable.

….oh, and if you are new to Consew, don’t try to wind the the top thread in and through all the holes in the thread post - just once through is enough.

Good luck and have fun with it!

edit:  It seems like the 206rb-1 ended in the late 80s, but how long the -2 lasted is beyond me.

Edited by DonInReno

Thank you Don, That will all be helpful information as I learn this machine.  I'm happy I found this site, the are so many Skilled and helpful people here. I look forward to the learning trip ahead.