Hi!! I am doing some research and came across this awesome website. I’m hoping someone can give me some advice. I have a leather bag that I would like to take to Disneyland with me and have characters sign it. How do I go about preserving those signatures so that they don’t rub off or smudge?

Thanks so so much for any help. 
Becky Allen

On 8/7/2022 at 7:29 PM, DisneyGirl said:

Hi!! I am doing some research and came across this awesome website. I’m hoping someone can give me some advice. I have a leather bag that I would like to take to Disneyland with me and have characters sign it. How do I go about preserving those signatures so that they don’t rub off or smudge?

Thanks so so much for any help. 
Becky Allen

Tandy makes a product called "Saddle Lac" that is a spray on laquer.  If your leather bag is fairly stout and doesn't bend much, it will work great.  If the bag is somewhat lightweight and can bend and crease easily, the Saddle Lac will crack at the bends and peel off.  Simply warm up the can (place can in a ziploc bag and run hot water over the bag), then shake it like a rattle paint can, and spray a light coating over it.

PastorBob makes a good recommendation.  You definitely want to spray the finish, not brush.

Also, try to find a Sharpie in a finer point.  I can imagine the signatures looking "muddy" if the tip is too bold.  Not ultrafine, but not bold is best I think.