metallurgynerd

Adler 104-VNS2 Presser Foot Height?

Last week an Adler 104-VNS2 came into my possession for FREE when a local boot factory was changing locations and decided to leave behind a few sewing machines that were in various states of disrepair.  The Adler seemed to be mostly complete, turned freely, and the price was right so I took it home.  It had a 3 phase 1725rpm motor on it, so I've ordered a 110V servo motor and speed reducer pulley.  The Adler 104-VNS2 was manufactured as a double needle machine (closely spaced needles with slight front-to-back offset for decorative stitching), but it appears that at some point in the past someone started converting it over to a single needle machine (essentially a 104-2).  They left the roller foot and dual needle plate (elongated diagonal hole) on, but switched out the dual needle clamp for a standard single needle clamp and for some reason removed both the upper and lower thread tension assemblies (???).  I've ordered new thread tensioner assemblies that I'm hoping will fit (fingers crossed!), which appears to be all that's needed other than 110V motorizing.  I've gone through the machine, cleaned and oiled, adjusted the hook timing/needle bar/needle clearance/feed dog per the Adler 204 instructions (couldn't find 104 instructions), but noticed that the presser foot and roller foot sit a few mm above the bed rather than resting on the feed dogs.  With the presser foot raised by the lever only (not the foot pedal), the clearance is about 15mm to the bed, so perhaps the presser foot height just needs adjusted down a few mm (to 12mm? same as a Singer 45K it's based on?).

So my question is: can anyone think of a reason why the boot factory might have intentionally raised the presser foot so it sat a few mm above the bed?  To reduce presser foot tension and reduce marring by feed dogs?  Something else?  Should I just try it out as is, or lower it?

My intent is to use it for some leather sewing, maybe some heavy fabric/webbing if I think my Juki DNU-241HS compound feed machine won't handle it.  But mostly leather sheaths, belts, holsters, and only occasionally (I don't do that many projects these days).  A few layers of veg tan leather, nothing too crazy (I'm aware of the limitations of the machine).  I've owned a few machines over the years and just sold a Luberto Classic simply because it deserved to be used more than I did.  I thought the Adler 104 with a roller foot might produce some decent looking work if I do a good job managing feed dog height, presser foot pressure, and use good feeding technique (i.e. help it through).  If it doesn't do what I want it to, I'll get it working properly and sell it to at least recoup the cost of motor and parts.

IMG-0189.jpg

IMG-0190.jpg

IMG-0191.jpg

IMG-0192.jpg

Maybe they raised the feet to give extra clearance for a specific type of job? I did it once on one of my machines, it just meant it didn't work too well on thin stuff.:dunno:

I would just lower the feet to the standard on-the-deck position - That would have been the way it came from the factory. But that's just me - YMMV.

Nice looking machine, BTW - Much nicer than the ones I usually find :~)

Edited by trash treasure