Its been a while since I have done any leather work, but I am getting my supplies back out and gonna do some projects. I had been wanting to dye with an airbrush for awhile, and may just that with the next go around.  I am looking for any and all recommendations for airbrush use. 

What dye do you use? Full stregnth or diluted? Why do you dilute with and ratio? Anything...  thank you!!!

35 minutes ago, NealzKustomz said:

Its been a while since I have done any leather work, but I am getting my supplies back out and gonna do some projects. I had been wanting to dye with an airbrush for awhile, and may just that with the next go around.  I am looking for any and all recommendations for airbrush use. 

What dye do you use? Full stregnth or diluted? Why do you dilute with and ratio? Anything...  thank you!!!

Bro, i bought my rig in 1994. With an extra needle. I’ve never had to use the extra needle. Badger 155 anthem, sim air spar max compressor. Never had an issue. Never dyed without it. One time, black dye, never again… one time… 

C401A003-6205-4B1E-BF02-24D41A496A53.jpeg

65D803D0-1736-4B43-94F1-9A088940AA9F.jpeg

My bad, didn’t answer the other questions. Yeah man, I use denatured alcohol on any oil or alcohol based dyes. 50/50 if you’d like, possibly more with some of the oil dyes. The eco dyes Tandy carry’s (oil) are thick. I never use them straight, helps in spraying to thin. 

Got the Harbor Freight Deluxe airbrush.  I use Feibing's pro dyes, almost always straight.  Use91% Isopropyl alcohol for thinning and cleaning.

Thank you two for the reponses!!  I have not used the tandy eco dyes, pretty much use feibings only.  I have never used an airbrush before, so I think I will pick up a cheap one to try out and if that feels and looks right, then invest in a quality unit.

Feibings standard dye thinned with water & alcohol (methylated spirits) I wet the leather a little bit first

There are a few videos on youtube about spraying leather, and many, many more on using airbrushes for model-making. The inexpensive airbrushes are actually quite good, and with a bit of polishing of the needle work well. The external-mix siphon feed will work fine for spraying leather and are easier to clean but you won't get the fine control that you have with a double-action brush (with a 0.3/0.35 needle). 

You also need to consider your air supply. Their are a few options available, a small air compressor with a tank is probably the best choice, they are fairly compact and quiet. The version without the tank is cheaper and works well but unless you live in the middle of a hot dry desert you will need a small water trap on the airbrush itself as the compressor will produce moisture in the airline. The tank version tends to trap the water in the tank. External-mix brushes need a slightly higher air pressure to work, probably around 20 - 30 psi, while a dual-action gravity feed (paint bowl on top) can run at 15 psi and up. Obviously with higher air pressure more dye will be atomized and blasted out and probably wasted.

The key to using an airbrush successfully is getting the right consistency in the stuff being sprayed and that is where using dyes makes it easy as the spirit/oil based dyes are already thin enough to spray as is. If you want to thin them you can, which should help with colour penetration in the leather (but you may need to apply extra coats to get the final colour you want - it's all about experimenting).

Just a few thoughts to consider.:)

On 8/11/2022 at 6:56 PM, dikman said:

xternal-mix siphon feed will work fine for spraying leather and are easier to clean but you won't get the fine control that you have with a double-action brush (with a 0.3/0.35 needle). 

external mix siphon feed and double action are not exclusive of each other.  my paasche VL is an external mix, siphon feed, double action brush (works well).  very few airbrushes are internal mix, and they are priced much higher than the external mix counterparts.  It's true though that the internal mix generally allows much finer detail (though the paints may be restricted in type... leather dyes would likely need to be strained before using in internal brushes).  I like the syphon feed type just because the "cup" is usually larger (as opposed to gravity feed brushes).

The Paasche VL I started with because that's what S-T Leather (St Louis, MO) was selling at the time and I didn't know any better.  I have since purchased several more of the same model - VERY handy for leather work, capable of a wide range of applications without altering anything other than screwing on a tip.  See it here ;)

I do not recommend spending the (much) extra money for a "airbrush compressor".  I have always used a pancake-type compressor, standard for use with nail guns and impact wrenches, etc.  Long as you have a pressure regulator and a moisture trap (which you should have no matter what you're using for the air).  The one I currently use came FREE at Menards with the purchase of a finish nailer I used for new kitchen counter kick plate trim.  Already had a regulator, so just add an in-line moisture trap (under $20) and off ya go.  I set mine 20-40 psi depending on what I'm doing.  It kicks on, makes noise, then I can spray for half an hour before it kicks on again.  Want to get quiet?  Put the compressor in the next room (or a closet) and run an air hose to where you're working ;)

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

external mix siphon feed and double action are not exclusive of each other.  my paasche VL is an external mix, siphon feed, double action brush (works well).  very few airbrushes are internal mix, and they are priced much higher than the external mix counterparts.  It's true though that the internal mix generally allows much finer detail (though the paints may be restricted in type... leather dyes would likely need to be strained before using in internal brushes).  I like the syphon feed type just because the "cup" is usually larger (as opposed to gravity feed brushes).

The Paasche VL I started with because that's what S-T Leather (St Louis, MO) was selling at the time and I didn't know any better.  I have since purchased several more of the same model - VERY handy for leather work, capable of a wide range of applications without altering anything other than screwing on a tip.  See it here ;)

I do not recommend spending the (much) extra money for a "airbrush compressor".  I have always used a pancake-type compressor, standard for use with nail guns and impact wrenches, etc.  Long as you have a pressure regulator and a moisture trap (which you should have no matter what you're using for the air).  The one I currently use came FREE at Menards with the purchase of a finish nailer I used for new kitchen counter kick plate trim.  Already had a regulator, so just add an in-line moisture trap (under $20) and off ya go.  I set mine 20-40 psi depending on what I'm doing.  It kicks on, makes noise, then I can spray for half an hour before it kicks on again.  Want to get quiet?  Put the compressor in the next room (or a closet) and run an air hose to where you're working ;)

:17:i bought this compressor its awesome and quiet threw my lil air brush compressor in the closet, i think.https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools-compressors/air-compressors-tanks/air-compressors/1-gallon-135-psi-ultra-quiet-hand-carry-jobsite-air-compressor-64592.html

For the last 16/17 years I've been using a 2nd-hand compressor which came in a ladies spray tanning out fit. It cost me all of £7.50. I can adjust the air pressure up and down a bit but as there is no gauge I don't know what the actual pressure is. I just adjust it until it sprays well. Over time I replaced the original vinyl hose with a fabric covered rubber one and gave it and my airbrushes quick-release fittings. Just easier to take the airbrush off for a strip-down cleaning

Compressor, 01LWs.jpg

Spray airbrush, 01LWs.jpg

Lots of good points here. Large compressors are certainly ideal as they have large air storage so don't have to run very often when using airbrushes, in fact I have two but they are noisy and not portable. The smaller units I referred to are great because they are quiet, so can be used indoors without disturbing other people, are portable and easy to store. If all you want to do is spray leather, where no fancy detailing is required, then the type of unit fredk mentioned is perfectly adequate and can often be picked up cheap from people who buy them for applying makeup but then give up on it. My first airbrush was  a Paasche H, external mix siphon feed, a basic airbrush but still highly regarded today, a real work horse. Funnily enough that is often the first brush I go to as it is easier to clean afterwards!

JLS is right about cup capacity as up until the Chinese started copying airbrushes high end quality gravity-feed brushes only had smallish cups on top, great if you're doing fine graphics but not much use for covering largish areas. The Chinese double-action internal mix gravity-feed brushes are now available with interchangeable cups which have a decent capacity, and extra cups can be bought pretty cheap. These days, unless you're an airbrush snob or do very fine graphic artwork, the Chinese airbrushes will be perfectly adequate for most people, they are cheap, spare needles (and cups) are usually available and if they do break they're cheap to replace. I have several different types and I pulled each one apart, polished the needles and lubricated them. Result, smooth operating airbrushes that haven't cost me a fortune.

42 minutes ago, dikman said:

My first airbrush was  a Paasche H, external mix siphon feed, a basic airbrush b

a simple, inexpensive, single-action airbrush, sometimes viewed as a "cheap" model not to be sought.  But I've seen some STUNNING art work done using ONLY the Paasche H

13 hours ago, dikman said:

Lots of good points here. Large compressors are certainly ideal as they have large air storage so don't have to run very often when using airbrushes, in fact I have two but they are noisy and not portable. The smaller units I referred to are great because they are quiet, so can be used indoors without disturbing other people, are portable and easy to store. If all you want to do is spray leather, where no fancy detailing is required, then the type of unit fredk mentioned is perfectly adequate and can often be picked up cheap from people who buy them for applying makeup but then give up on it. My first airbrush was  a Paasche H, external mix siphon feed, a basic airbrush but still highly regarded today, a real work horse. Funnily enough that is often the first brush I go to as it is easier to clean afterwards!

JLS is right about cup capacity as up until the Chinese started copying airbrushes high end quality gravity-feed brushes only had smallish cups on top, great if you're doing fine graphics but not much use for covering largish areas. The Chinese double-action internal mix gravity-feed brushes are now available with interchangeable cups which have a decent capacity, and extra cups can be bought pretty cheap. These days, unless you're an airbrush snob or do very fine graphic artwork, the Chinese airbrushes will be perfectly adequate for most people, they are cheap, spare needles (and cups) are usually available and if they do break they're cheap to replace. I have several different types and I pulled each one apart, polished the needles and lubricated them. Result, smooth operating airbrushes that haven't cost me a fortune.

i use the little jars, my paasche came with one but i bought a few more they hold a few ounces bought a few so i can leave my dyes in them similar to these.

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush-Dual-Action-Airbrushing-Accessories/dp/B00BTAHEIQ/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?keywords=airbrush+jars&qid=1660482256&sr=8-4-spons&psc=1&smid=A23ADOZFIJNPFB&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFNQ1dSVU43QkZPSU8mZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAwMzQ1MzMxNE5JNEk2T1NSV1ZTJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyMzM0NTQ1UzA3OU1ORFhPMUgmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

14 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

i use the little jars, my paasche came with one

too bulky and heavy for me - kaint maneuver well as I'd like.  And I actually used one for doing LARGE areas and had one COME OFF... just dropped on the floor due to the weight of the glass and dye... BIG mess everywhere.  Guess that's why Paasche makes a SCREW ON version :rolleyes2:

In our shop we have 3 brushes, 2 of the higher end brushes and 1 harbor freight with the ultra quite compressor that's the one that gets used every day, 

I picked up a Harbor Freight model airbrush kit  to try my hand at airbrushing. I have a loud 2 gallon air compressor that I fill an 11 gallon portable tank up to anywhere between 75 and 100 psi. More than enough air to fill air up a car tire or two. I haven't tried the air brush yet.

I can set the loud tank outside and run a line into the shop to operate out of the 11 gallon air reservoir. I'm waiting for my 2 gallon tank to burn out before I purchase a quieter air pump.

What psi are you operating your airbrush for dying leather?

Joe

Air pressure will be affected by the type of brush, I'm guessing yours is probably a basic external mix siphon feed, which will require a bit more pressure, probably around 25-30 psi. That's what I run my Paasche at.