Loudcherokee

Padding for bags

Hello all, 

Been really wanting to tackle a laptop bag, messenger bag, satchel type of a project, and have been watching tons of videos on YouTube and think I know what I want to do, but one thing is throwing me that I haven't seen demonstrated in any videos or tutorials. 

If building a laptop bag, what is the best way to go about adding padding or foam, to provide a little drop protection for a laptop? I've considered sandwiching in some 1/2" foam between a couple of 2oz layers, then basically doing a liner of sorts for the "laptop" compartment, but feel like this will add too much bulk, especially at the gusset seams. 

Any ideas?

LC

About 40 years ago I used to supply vibration monitoring instruments for rotating equipment under contract.  I copied the equipment manufacturer's shoulder bag and bought 2 more secondhand instruments.  The shoulder bags had a tough canvas like exterior (plastic like coating on the back side so water resistant) and a strong silky like cloth interior with 1/2" foam from a camping/sleeping mat.  These were used in an industrial setting for years.  I had no damage to my equipment due to drops, etc.  Just from users that twisted off cable connectors.  Materials were bought at a store that supplied materials for camping gear, etc.

Edit: Remember the name now, "Textile Outfitters".  Of course it's gone now, but the name may trigger store names to look at

Edited by Northmount
update

Following on @Northmount's suggestion, how about a removable padded pocket or zippered case,  held in place with velcro.  Neoprene fabric is slick and padded (like a wet suit) and could be used to cover thicker neoprene sheet as a filler.  If you prefer leather, I wrap neoprene with 3 oz cow hide for padded liners on halters and bridles.  Assemble with Barge cement and sew it to a heavier leather backing.

Yoga mats from Goodwill. I use them to pad all sorts of things.

Some good ideas here. 

Having not built a satchel before, how would you go about actually installing it into the main bag? 

LC