Brindal

Replacement Strap Cutter Blades?

I’m looking for a strap cutter tool but I would like to get one where the blades are easily available.  Or at least where I have some options.

I know many of you have recommended the Tandy strap cutter (wooden block) but in searching for the blades online, the only place I find them is at Tandy.  Nothing wrong with Tandy, I just want to be able to source replacements quickly.  Are there other blade options for that tool?  Part number?

Ive also seen other wooden block style cutters that use SDI style blades.  These blades are easily available but curious if anyone has used one of these?

Edited by Brindal

Where are you looking for them? A quick search in the usual places: Amazon, Springfield Leather, eBay, etc...  I see lots of strap cutters and replacement blades for cheap.

I would buy a relatively inexpensive wooden strap cutter for occasional use.  I have an old Tandy version that looks the same as one I bought from Abbey England, and the blades from Springfield Leather fit them both.  The wooden cutter is my preferred tool for very narrow straps < 1/2 inch wide.  It will work even better if you can sharpen and strop the blade.  If you're going to be cutting a lot of straps from hides you might consider a draw gauge, particularly for heavier straps.  The Weaver Professional draw gauge is a nice tool IMO and you can buy blades from Weaver or Osborne.  I'll paste a video below about how to grip the draw gauge.  For wide straps, a plough gauge is ideal but that's a big investment in the purchase and time spent learning to use and sharpen it.

https://fb.watch/eUXBx8U3G5/

I use the two-hole skiver blade in my wood strap cutter. Those blades are easier to get

and the blades from pencil sharpeners will fit. Not all of them, some are too thick but blades from the real cheap plastic sharpeners will maybe fit.

@chakotay -  I did find them on Amazon, Tandy and SLC.  I was just hoping maybe to find them locally as well.  This way if I was in a pinch, maybe I could go down to the local hardware store.

@TomE - Thanks for sharing the video.  I found it super informative.  Maybe someday I will get a draw guage but for now I’ll probably be sticking with a wooden block version.

@Fredk and @chipster99 - Ill have to give those a try.

Thanks for chiming in everyone.  I think, I just need to get one and try a few options to see what works best.

Edited by Brindal

16 hours ago, Chipster99 said:

Common injector-type blades work well in the wooden strap cutter. Something like this:

I use the injector blades in mine but I would caution , they protrude from my block some and it is not the safest thing I have ever done ;)

I break the blades in half

Brindal,

I use an older Osborne Draw Gauge that is shaped like a gun so you can wrap your trigger finger around for better control. I also have a non-typical 6" bar (typical is 4") that I cross my arm over the top of the draw gauge and grip and pull with two arms and other hand using the 6" bar. I'm cutting 12-14 ounce leather side skirting and it takes a bit of power even when my blade is sharp enough to shave. I've learned to start the cut with a Stanley knife then set the blade into the starter cut and start pulling. Even with the sharpest blade I can't pull thru the skirting with out clamping the starting end down.

I have to read more on the proper angle of setting the blade into the draw gauge. You can find these on Ebay...and other sellers. Some tilt the blade forward and some tilt the blade to the rear. 

Oh, the 6 inch Draw Gauge was US Military Issue. I have that in addition to a US Military Issue round knife. Both made by C.S. Osborne.

-Joe

Edited by AlamoJoe2002
Clarification on two arm pulling using draw gauge.

12 minutes ago, AlamoJoe2002 said:

Brindal,

I use an older Osborne Draw Gauge that is shaped like a gun so you can wrap your trigger finger around for better control. I also have a non-typical 6" bar (typical is 4") that I cross my arm over the top of the draw gauge and grip and pull with two arms and other hand using the 6" bar. I'm cutting 12-14 ounce leather side skirting and it takes a bit of power even when my blade is sharp enough to shave. I've learned to start the cut with a Stanley knife then set the blade into the starter cut and start pulling. Even with the sharpest blade I can't pull thru the skirting with out clamping the starting end down.

I have to read more on the proper angle of setting the blade into the draw gauge. You can find these on Ebay...and other sellers. Some tilt the blade forward and some tilt the blade to the rear. 

Oh, the 6 inch Draw Gauge was US Military Issue. I have that in addition to a US Military Issue round knife. Both made by C.S. Osborne.

-Joe

Neat to learn about the military issue draw gauge.  This tutorial from Bruce Johnson helped me to up my game with a draw gauge.   https://brucejohnsonleather.com/index.php/download_file/6881/202/

TomE,

I got the Osborne Round Knife enscribed "VA Ortho" and the Military Issue Draw Gauge from Bruce Johnson. Long story short, I needed a good blade for the draw gauge and we got to talking. One thing led to another and I sent him a US Flag I wore on my uniform on a trip to Afghanistan. So...I jumped at the chance to get the military issued items. The VA Ortho inscribed knife is my favorite. -Joe