Cody C

Hat Band Tooling Template

Hi, Im trying to see if anyone has the tooling template or knows where I can get it for the hat band on Clint Eastwoods hat from The Good, the bad and the ugly? Would be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction. Problem is most of the photos I've found on the internet are difficult to really see what's going on. I can get the general gist of the design but I wanted to see if I could get it exactly somewhere before I just "wing it."

Thanks either way in advance.

C.

These folks . . . https://www.knudsenhats.com/good-bad-ugly . . . have what they claim to be a correct version on their website.

For sale of course . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

i think a guy could enlarge those pictures and get a good design, but dang i just spent 20 minutes lookin at cool hats!!

11 hours ago, Dwight said:

These folks . . . https://www.knudsenhats.com/good-bad-ugly . . . have what they claim to be a correct version on their website.

For sale of course . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

I appreciate that. The one they have on the hat they are selling looks different to me. Seems like the one from the movie had ridges or like a camouflage tool was used all the way around the vine. The carving also looks different to me.

Screenshot 2022-08-16 091613.jpg

Screenshot 2022-08-16 091642.jpg

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

i think a guy could enlarge those pictures and get a good design, but dang i just spent 20 minutes lookin at cool hats!!

the feller i did the holster for is making me a new felt. Forgot to mention he was a custom hat maker. Nothing like a little trading work :)

Edited by Cody C

2 minutes ago, Cody C said:

that the feller i did the holster for is making me a new felt. Forgot to mention he was a custom hat maker. Nothing like a little trading work :)

Well double dang

7 minutes ago, Cody C said:

I appreciate that. The one they have on the hat they are selling looks different to me. Seems like the one from the movie had ridges or like a camouflage tool was used all the way around the vine. The carving also looks different to me.

Screenshot 2022-08-16 091613.jpg

Screenshot 2022-08-16 091642.jpg

your right and the design is thicker, takes up more space on the strap

Good, that means I'm not yet completely blind lol

Is it me or does the original look like the carving has almost a rope like look?  And if you blow up the 2 pictures the remake is more floral. 

see i cant tell enough if its a rope look or they just went down it with a camo tool, and the other hat from the seller Dwight posted looks completely different to me. Its probably going to be one of these deals where i have to just find as many pictures on google from as many angles as i can and just do my best to redraw it. Just figured Id check here first (incase someone has already done the hard part)  

38 minutes ago, Cody C said:

see i cant tell enough if its a rope look or they just went down it with a camo tool, and the other hat from the seller Dwight posted looks completely different to me. Its probably going to be one of these deals where i have to just find as many pictures on google from as many angles as i can and just do my best to redraw it. Just figured Id check here first (incase someone has already done the hard part)  

i think its the same pattern but the original is much better done. The copy has been carved to thin to add the camo tooling and more background shows. the original has almost zero background and fills the whole strap.

4 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

i think its the same pattern but the original is much better done. The copy has been carved to thin to add the camo tooling and more background shows. the original has almost zero background and fills the whole strap.

the pattern repeats and you have it all in that pic the final is all you need now.

gonna see if i can take the pick i got from the internet and pull it into photoshop and pull a pattern from it. Ya it really looks way different to me from the other one they are selling.

Screenshot 2022-08-16 112903.jpg

6 minutes ago, Cody C said:

gonna see if i can take the pick i got from the internet and pull it into photoshop and pull a pattern from it. Ya it really looks way different to me from the other one they are selling.

Screenshot 2022-08-16 112903.jpg

yup this is what i see as the basic pattern 3/4" wide 1/8" borders tapered to a 1/2" buckle 

goodbadugly2.JPG

25 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

yup this is what i see as the basic pattern 3/4" wide 1/8" borders tapered to a 1/2" buckle 

goodbadugly2.JPG

exactly! Damn man you whipped that out quick. 

1 hour ago, Cody C said:

exactly! Damn man you whipped that out quick. 

lol a pencil and paper are faster for me than a computer its a quick sketch, would need some refining for sure but that the just of it, , a camo tool a pear shader, a few knife cuts and a standard backgrounder. from what i can see but i cant see that well. Hope i have helped good luck 

ps now i have another pattern too lol.

12 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

lol a pencil and paper are faster for me than a computer its a quick sketch, would need some refining for sure but that the just of it, , a camo tool a pear shader, a few knife cuts and a standard backgrounder. from what i can see but i cant see that well. Hope i have helped good luck 

ps now i have another pattern too lol.

I hate you talented people :rockon:

I found these two versions;

Clint Eastwood hat band, 01.jpg

Clint Eastwood hat band, 02.jpg

Now you've got me wanting to make one for my hat!

The original should be easy to draw. The repo offered by Knudson is cheesy by comparison. They do have some nice hats though. I would choose the Dude style if I were looking for another hat.

Edited by doubleh

ya i finally sat down an just drew it up. I was trying to be lazy :) 

clint eastwood hatband .jpg

looks great.  Can't wait to see your finished product.  Great idea of printing out the photo to use as a guide.

11 hours ago, Cody C said:

ya i finally sat down an just drew it up. I was trying to be lazy :) 

clint eastwood hatband .jpg

perfect!!

19 hours ago, doubleh said:

The original should be easy to draw. The repo offered by Knudson is cheesy by comparison. They do have some nice hats though. I would choose the Dude style if I were looking for another hat.

none of the copies i have seen really match, i think a pear shader is the key the leaves don't look correct in most of them IMO. some look like an embossing wheel actually.

in case anyone is interested, I was messing around with it today after work trying to figure it out. I think the camo tool is the right one but the little leaves need more experimenting. From different pictures I've looked at some of the leaves look like they have thumb prints thru them like i did and some look completely shaded in with a pear like chuck123wapati mentioned... haven't been able to tell if there are any decorative cuts or not from pictures.

hatband.jpg

Edited by Cody C