DanaStanley

souped up Consew CP206RL

I just finished working on my Consew CP206RL. It was a portable machine with a built-in motor. I built a table for it, bought a stand, and servo motor now it runs great, and as slow as I want. I wanted a walking foot flatbed for occasional work, for lighter stuff wallets chaps etc. but I didn't want to spend $1500.00 on one.

The machine was $450.00 

table                         $135.00

motor                        $156.00

belt material             $ 14.00

Smaller pully            $ 10.00

Knurled walking foot $ 29.00

Plywood for table $15.00

So, $815.00. Better than $1500.00 Maybe not as great of a machine, but for what I need it will be fine. Plus, it was fun building it. The week link is the belt. The reduction pully on the machine is cogged, and the pully on the motor is a v belt type. I used a poly belt that you cut and fuse together. I did slip when I jammed up the thread, but that's probably a good thing. 

The machine is a Sailrite clone, they get $750.00 for one like what I bought, and 1350.00 plus shipping souped up similar to what I have now. Any comment or suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks' Dana

IMG-2159.JPG

IMG-2160.JPG

8 hours ago, DanaStanley said:

The machine is a Sailrite clone, they get $750.00 for one like what I bought, and 1350.00 plus shipping souped up similar to what I have now. Any comment or suggestions would be welcome!

Nice job. It will be a lot more convenient and functional mounted in the table. A couple of other options would be a better stitch length indicator and belt drive bobbin winder. If you find you are having problems with the thread move your spool of thread down under the table top. You may also find that if you want to install a binder / folder attachment or straight edge guide the two bolt holes to the right of needle that are drilled into the bed may have to be tapped to accept the hold down screws for the attachments.

kgg

17 hours ago, kgg said:

Nice job. It will be a lot more convenient and functional mounted in the table. A couple of other options would be a better stitch length indicator and belt drive bobbin winder. If you find you are having problems with the thread move your spool of thread down under the table top. You may also find that if you want to install a binder / folder attachment or straight edge guide the two bolt holes to the right of needle that are drilled into the bed may have to be tapped to accept the hold down screws for the attachments.

kgg

Do you know where I can get a different stitch length adjustment plate? It is kinda hokey. It doesn't  drop off evenly, and there is no way to match the forward stitch to the reverse stitch length .

Edited by DanaStanley

I recently bought this same machine. I was looking to do the same upgrades myself, but I don’t really know where to start. Do you mind sharing where you bought your upgrades? I would like to buy them myself. Thanks! 

23 hours ago, NealLeather said:

I recently bought this same machine. I was looking to do the same upgrades myself, but I don’t really know where to start. Do you mind sharing where you bought your upgrades? I would like to buy them myself. Thanks! 

Clutch Motor Pulley for Industrial Sewing Machine, Diameter 45MM (Amazon) Amazon.com: Clutch Motor Pulley for Industrial Sewing Machine, Diameter 45MM

Polyurethane Belt, Green Rough Surface PU Polyurethane Round Belt for Drive Transmission (8mm x 5m) (Amazon) Polyurethane Belt, Green Rough Surface PU Polyurethane Round Belt for Drive Transmission (8mm x 5m): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Adjustable Industrial Sewing Machine T-Leg Assembly (Jacksew)Adjustable Industrial Sewing Machine T-Leg Assembly (jacksew.com)

Consew CSM550-1 Sewing Machine Servo Motor, 3450RPM, 110 Volt, Quite Running - Walmart.com (WalMart

Knurled Foot for Ultrafeed® LS-1 & Leatherwork® (sailrite.com)

Edited by DanaStanley

among other machines, i have a consew 255 and i just bought this machine for lighter work and want to do the exact things you did...the belt that you linked to baffles me...it appears that it is just a straight piece of material from the picture...i ordered the table, servo motor and pulley but held up on the belt until i can get some clarification

also what is the difference in the presser foot you listed and the one that came with the machine

finally does any know how to or can it even be done, raise the presser foot height... the factory 1/4 inch setting is not quite high enough for a lot of work i do...

BTW, i'm in northern mississippi, just across the road from memphis, i'm a legal secretary, at my job for 28 years and have a 18 years old internet business, making interior carpet sets and other stuff for BMW 2002's, 320's and several other early models...if interested see www.estcarpet.com

5 hours ago, esty said:

if interested see www.estcarpet.com

Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.

We can’t connect to the server at www.estcarpet.com.

I recommend getting a Consew 206rb-5 which sews up to 3/8 inch. It has a larger M size bobbin and easily handles #138 thread. The bobbins are horizontal axis, inside the left end, instead of dropping in vertically from the top on the right.

Edited by Wizcrafts
I merged my two replies into the first one.

3 hours ago, esty said:

among other machines, i have a consew 255 and i just bought this machine for lighter work and want to do the exact things you did...the belt that you linked to baffles me...it appears that it is just a straight piece of material from the picture...i ordered the table, servo motor and pulley but held up on the belt until i can get some clarification

also what is the difference in the presser foot you listed and the one that came with the machine

finally does any know how to or can it even be done, raise the presser foot height... the factory 1/4 inch setting is not quite high enough for a lot of work i do...

BTW, i'm in northern mississippi, just across the road from memphis, i'm a legal secretary, at my job for 28 years and have a 18 years old internet business, making interior carpet sets and other stuff for BMW 2002's, 320's and several other early models...if interested see www.estcarpet.com

I just went through the headache of belt hunting, here's what I found out. For a 3/8ths pulley get a piece of 3/8ths rope and put around both pulleys to get the length. Here's where it got stupid. Went to Napa and the 3/8ths belt in the right length was actually a 1/2in. wide. Went to Auto Zone and guy looked up 3/8ths belt got home because it said on package in the part number and yup, 1/2in belt. Went to O'reily's same thing, watched the guy enter into computer and ordered in got home and another 1/2in belt.

By now pissed off and went onto Oreily's site and started digging, now the really stupid part, you can check the site for any of them to save you the headache. The 3/8ths belts listed on their site if you look are 1/2in wide(13mm). The 7/16s belt are actually 3/8ths(10mm) wide. Somehow the wider belt(7/16) is narrower than the (3/8ths)belt. I stumped all the employees when I told them and they tried to make sense of it and couldn't. Hopefully this can help you

1 hour ago, Burkhardt said:

By now pissed off and went onto Oreily's site and started digging, now the really stupid part, you can check the site for any of them to save you the headache. The 3/8ths belts listed on their site if you look are 1/2in wide(13mm). The 7/16s belt are actually 3/8ths(10mm) wide. Somehow the wider belt(7/16) is narrower than the (3/8ths)belt. I stumped all the employees when I told them and they tried to make sense of it and couldn't. Hopefully this can help you

You can avoid all these hassles by simply finding the closest length between the pulleys and ordering a Type 3L v-belt from an industrial sewing machine dealer. Your motor should allow for plus or minus 1/2 inch of adjustment.

The reason your measurement showed 1/2 inch is because these are V shaped belts, with a cut off on the small side. The top may well be 1/2 inch, but the inside taper will fit the 3/8 inch inside the tapered pulley groove.

8 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

my bad, it is www.estycarpet.com

8 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

I recommend getting a Consew 206rb-5 which sews up to 3/8 inch. It has a larger M size bobbin and easily handles #138 thread. The bobbins are horizontal axis, inside the left end, instead of dropping in vertically from the top on the right.

i have the consew cp206rl and 255 and don't need another machine...i take your response as the foot height on the cp206rl cannot be changed

www.estycarpet.com

Esty, nice work! I would like to learn to do carpet eventually. Enjoyed seeing pics on your site! I'm thinking learning to thread and operate a carpet serger will be something to add to my list. Always something new and interesting to learn with Auto Interiors!

2 hours ago, esty said:

i have the consew cp206rl and 255 and don't need another machine...i take your response as the foot height on the cp206rl cannot be changed

www.estycarpet.com

It is unlikely that the lift while sewing can be increased without some custom modification. You might ask dealers who sell the machine. One of those is an advertiser here. Check and refresh the banners on top for mention of industrial sewing machines.

Your mini walking foot machine has dual feed, with the outside presser foot and feed dog driven. Your needle and inside foot remain in place, but move up and down. From my experience with various types of walking foot machines, any change to the height of one of the feet affects the lift of the other. They alternate up and down. I know that I can increase to maximum lift of the feet on my triple feed machines by about 1/16 inch. But, with the feet mechanically lifted all the way, the needle bar hits the inside foot. So, when I did that I had to be careful not to use the hand lift lever to hold the feet up and then rotate the balance wheel too far. There is that tradeoff. I simply don't know if your driven presser and alternating foot can be lifted higher without hitting the needle bar when it moves down. You don't want to damage the machine for a small increase in sewing thickness.

14 hours ago, esty said:

2 hours ago, esty said:

i take your response as the foot height on the cp206rl cannot be changed

The link to "Change Presser Foot Lift On Rex 607z Sewing Machine" which are the same as all the other portable walking foot clones ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqk1OUR72Ig ) may help in getting a higher lift then the normal 1/4". According to the video in about the 1/2" range. There maybe other problems doing this?????

Another solution for belt replacement is to use Rough Surface Polyurethane Belting like the green colored ones made for drives. It's cheap, comes in various diameters, you get about 33 feet in a coil, easy to join and get the exact length needed for about $25 USD off Amazon ( https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07W4HKK7H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 ). If nothing else to get you out of a jam you should have a coil just in case you break a belt and can't really get the proper one like on a Sunday.

kgg

4 hours ago, suzelle said:

Esty, nice work! I would like to learn to do carpet eventually. Enjoyed seeing pics on your site! I'm thinking learning to thread and operate a carpet serger will be something to add to my list. Always something new and interesting to learn with Auto Interiors!

i don't use a serger or binding machine, mine are all hand cut & sewn...which makes my work unique...everyone that resell or make carpet sets use a binding machine which makes them all alike...

believe it or not, i do 99% of the carpet binding with a singer heavy and or a cheap brother LX3817 or similar in the cheap machine line...i get about 6 months to a year out of one, throw it away and buy a new one for approx $75

12 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

You can avoid all these hassles by simply finding the closest length between the pulleys and ordering a Type 3L v-belt from an industrial sewing machine dealer. Your motor should allow for plus or minus 1/2 inch of adjustment.

The reason your measurement showed 1/2 inch is because these are V shaped belts, with a cut off on the small side. The top may well be 1/2 inch, but the inside taper will fit the 3/8 inch inside the tapered pulley groove.

That was the belt I kept getting. Each place I went to all the belts in their computers started with the 3L for 3/8ths belts. And all of them were 1/2 wide and wouldn't fit half way into the pulley. Before I deep dove into O'Reily's site I looked for sewing machine belts but all I could at 55 inches long were 3Ls. Or are you saying that much of the belt should be sticking out?

5 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

It is unlikely that the lift while sewing can be increased without some custom modification. You might ask dealers who sell the machine. One of those is an advertiser here. Check and refresh the banners on top for mention of industrial sewing machines.

Your mini walking foot machine has dual feed, with the outside presser foot and feed dog driven. Your needle and inside foot remain in place, but move up and down. From my experience with various types of walking foot machines, any change to the height of one of the feet affects the lift of the other. They alternate up and down. I know that I can increase to maximum lift of the feet on my triple feed machines by about 1/16 inch. But, with the feet mechanically lifted all the way, the needle bar hits the inside foot. So, when I did that I had to be careful not to use the hand lift lever to hold the feet up and then rotate the balance wheel too far. There is that tradeoff. I simply don't know if your driven presser and alternating foot can be lifted higher without hitting the needle bar when it moves down. You don't want to damage the machine for a small increase in sewing thickness.

When we used to sell these little machines we tried getting these to lift higher & found out it can't be done.

On 10/26/2022 at 8:05 PM, esty said:

So I nixed the poly belt and got a V belt with cog groves in it as the poly belt stretched too much and didn't want to stay on the cogged pully on the machine. The presser foot is a cross hatched kinda knurled on the bottom foot. Sailright has them.

Edited by DanaStanley

On 10/26/2022 at 11:23 PM, Wizcrafts said:

In the end although it would have cost twice as much, I should have gone with something like the Consew 206rb-5. I only wanted a walking foot that could do thinner thread for wallets, so I could have left my machine alone too! But it will do!

Uhoh, rookie here, why a servo motor? Will the standard delivered work well? Can y'all suggest a good place to begin? Good book? Good tutorial site? I am planning on covering the seats on my BMW Z4, wish me luck, Mike

anybody?

On 1/31/2024 at 7:41 AM, MikeLB said:

Uhoh, rookie here, why a servo motor? Will the standard delivered work well? Can y'all suggest a good place to begin? Good book? Good tutorial site? I am planning on covering the seats on my BMW Z4, wish me luck, Mike

Have you had a read through this thread?  You can search for servo motors and find lots of information in many threads.

Basically, a servo motor has variable speed and only runs while sewing.  A clutch motor runs all the time and you have to learn to feather the clutch to make the machine run slow.  It is even more sensitive than a clutch on a car with a standard transmission.  It goes from 0 to 60 in a split second.

12 hours ago, MikeLB said:

anybody?

It will do upholstery just fine without a servo motor, just break it in good like they tell you to do. I returned mine to original and put the servo on a Juki DDL8700 H. 

Edited by DanaStanley

Thank You'se so much.

I see a lot of post about swapping out clutch for servo motors or installing servo motors to machines that are being inserted/installed into tables.  Is there any way for me to slow down my consew CP206RL by just replacing the wheel with a larger one and getting an appropriately sized belt? I'm hoping to keep it portable...maybe.