bladegrinder

Couple of knife sheaths...

Recently just finished these two knife sheaths...still learning machine stitching on a CB 4500. Thanks for looking!

En7iqmN.jpg

AtWImV3.jpg

uaF8HRh.jpg

02HUL2H.jpg

Excellent, all of it.

Nice job.   The stitching, leatherwork, and blades look great!

I really like all of it.  The blade blanks are gorgeous, the hint of red in the scales on the one knife really catches your eye.  The sheaths are neat and cleanly done.  I just got my 3200, so I too am just learning the machine.  Good work all the way around.

Very nice work. You do realise, of course, that you're supposed to give brief details when posting? Like handle material etc? Some of us like to know these things.:yes:

The dark/light leather contrast is very well done.

You done good son!  Looks to me like you’ve mastered both Damascus and your sewing machine.  Looks like you should go on Forged in Fire!

11 hours ago, Brokenolmarine said:

I really like all of it.  The blade blanks are gorgeous, the hint of red in the scales on the one knife really catches your eye.  The sheaths are neat and cleanly done.  I just got my 3200, so I too am just learning the machine.  Good work all the way around.

Sorry about that... the top one has Bocote scales with desert Ironwood bolsters and black liners with nickel silver pins and lanyard hole.

The bottom one has stabilized Box Elder Burl scales with red liners, nickel silver pins and lanyard hole. the red tint in the wood comes from stress in the tree likely the burl came from a crotch in the tree.

Both of the blades come from large billets of Damascus I buy from Alabama Damascus. I profile the blades, hollow grind, heat treat and acid etch in my shop.

Being in Florida I mostly use stainless steel, preferably CPM-154 because of all the humidity here and High carbon is steel prone to rust. I used to live near Tampa Bay but recently I moved to North Florida and I think the humidity here is even worse. it's rained every day here for the last three weeks and if you don't keep high carbon either oiled or waxed, you'll get rust in short time.

I do forge high carbon steel occasionally but prefer making my knives from high alloy stainless.