AlamoJoe2002

Do you use a table top clamp or holder for belt edge burnishing?

Hello,

I attempted to use my wood lathe with a wood burnisher I made. This  process didn't work for me...the newly made leather belt moves around and I wasn't able to provide proper tension to get the results I wanted using only water as a test run.

I concluded I may use a hand held dremel tool with a burnisher attachment or just go with hand burnishing as I'm learning the process. I'm in the process of making (designing) a full length belt holder with a clamping mechanism to sit on my work table.

Could you share your ideas and products that you use to hold the belt edge up for burnishing. I found a few ideas on youtube and searched our leather worker forums. I would like to hear your thoughts, ideas, pro's and con's. -Joe

I do not. I made one wooden burnisher to use in a drill press plus a couple of highly polished steel ones. They all languish in a box. My tool of choice is a very, very old hardwood stick probably made from an ash hammer handle. It is very close grained, stained brown by use, and works better than anything else I have ever tried.  it is carved on both ends to use for about any burnishing chores but I have no picture to post. I do lay belts flat along the edge of my worktable for most of the burnishing but I simply hold them with my hand. Holsters are done the same but more of just holding them up and rub, rub, rub. I also hand sand the edges with 400 grit wet or dry paper before burnishing. The power burnishers worked but I can do it as quickly with the hand burnisher. Faster if I add in the time to get out the tool, rig up, and put it away after finishing.

1 hour ago, AlamoJoe2002 said:

Hello,

I attempted to use my wood lathe with a wood burnisher I made. This  process didn't work for me...the newly made leather belt moves around and I wasn't able to provide proper tension to get the results I wanted using only water as a test run.

I concluded I may use a hand held dremel tool with a burnisher attachment or just go with hand burnishing as I'm learning the process. I'm in the process of making (designing) a full length belt holder with a clamping mechanism to sit on my work table.

Could you share your ideas and products that you use to hold the belt edge up for burnishing. I found a few ideas on youtube and searched our leather worker forums. I would like to hear your thoughts, ideas, pro's and con's. -Joe

you could use two pieces of wood slightly shorter than your belt thickness, what ever length you can manage and a couple small clamps. if its shorter than your belt do a section then slide your belt through. how long is a full length belt? i'm doing a 64" right now. i use my lathe burnisher for smaller stuff lol.

24 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

you could use two pieces of wood slightly shorter than your belt thickness, what ever length you can manage and a couple small clamps. if its shorter than your belt do a section then slide your belt through. how long is a full length belt? i'm doing a 64" right now. i use my lathe burnisher for smaller stuff lol.

some folks just lay the belt along the edge of a table and place/clamp/hold a length of wood on top so it doesnt slip then burnish away.

I have a 1 1/2" screw hook under my bench. I hook the furthest hole on the buckle end and rub the hell out it with a piece of canvas. Swap ends and repeat. Touch up with an old porcelain fence insulator.

I don't use machines, although I have considered it. 

In my left hand is the belt (or other leather item)  to be burnished and also using my leg as a 'work bench' , or stitch clamp, in the other hand  is a wood slicker. The other 'slicker' I use is a component from a roller door or sliding door, its plastic  approx 35mm diameter, and has a 20mm wide opening.I can tilt it either way , not sure if that makes sense.   I also use the narrow  'curvy' parts on my  wood beveller handles as a slicker, good for getting into tight areas to be burnished. I burnish straight after I have dyed the edges  & while the dye is a bit damp. 

Each to their own I guess, and whatever works.. So long as you're happy with the result. :yes:

HS

Edited by Handstitched

Thanks all. I cut my belt straps off a side at 60 inches then trim down to fit.

I like the idea of a set of boards and a few clamps to hold the work on the table top. It seems most belt burnishing is by hand...maybe the power option is just a sales gimmick...all I know is a long strap (belt) + wood lathe burnishing = wasted time.

I'd like to hear more techniques.

-Joe

I turned up a burnishing tool from hardwood, cut various grooves in it and mounted it on an electric grinder, works well for all the belts I've made (dress and gunbelts). I also made a small one to fit a Dremel, handy for odd corners etc. Anything to make my life easier.:)

2 cutting boards that I keep on my table pinched together.  They hold belts and straps well enough to burnish them.   Thought about making something but this works too easy.