bladegrinder

Thinning Weldwood contact cement

Has anyone used Zylene to thin Weldwood contact cement? or any luck with something else?

I haven't used Xylene.  I use Crown brand "Pro Thinner".  I got it at Lowe's and it works well.  When first added to the Glue it doesn't look like it is going to mix in, but within a few minutes and with a little stirring it mixes right in.  

Smells just like the Weldwood cement. 

thinner.jpg

I'm in Oz, and I use toluene* to thin out contact cement when it gets a bit 'gluggy' in the tin. A little bit in the tin,   a quick mix, leave over night, all good next day , ready to use. 

*I'm quite familiar with toluene ( as well as MEKP) , used it for many years in another industry . 

HS

I don't know about using it in Weldwood but I've used it to thin Sika brand contact cement. I would think it would probably work in any contact cement that is made using hydrocarbons, as Xylene is a strong solvent.

I have been using acetone for years with good results. It will even work after the glue is set for cleanup.

I've used acetone with some success.  

But my new plan is to buy it by the gallon and transfer it into 20 oz screw top plastic bottles. I bought a snap on lid that doubles as a funnel to empty the gallon of glue.   Body Armor or Gatorade bottles work great.  Those are strictly for storage.  For use I transfer into a 4 oz squeeze bottle.  I refill the squeeze bottle after every use to keep it full so it does not harden up.  The screw top storage bottle will not harden if partially full.  I'm currently on the same squeeze bottle and have emptied 2 of the storage bottles into it and the glue has stayed usable.  The new glue seems to refresh the older glue.   And the squeeze bottle makes application ridiculously simple.  

AmazonSmile: 8-Pack of 4 Oz Plastic Small Squeeze Bottles and Caps - BPA-Free, Latex-Free, Food-Grade - Great for Icing, Cookie Decorating, Sauces, Condiments, Arts and Crafts and More! : Home & Kitchen

AmazonSmile: Shur-Line 1783844 Red Silicone Mess-Free Store and Pour Collapsible Gallon Paint Can Lid (2 Pack) : Tools & Home Improvement

4 hours ago, chiefjason said:

I've used acetone with some success.  

But my new plan is to buy it by the gallon and transfer it into 20 oz screw top plastic bottles. I bought a snap on lid that doubles as a funnel to empty the gallon of glue.   Body Armor or Gatorade bottles work great.  Those are strictly for storage.  For use I transfer into a 4 oz squeeze bottle.  I refill the squeeze bottle after every use to keep it full so it does not harden up.  The screw top storage bottle will not harden if partially full.  I'm currently on the same squeeze bottle and have emptied 2 of the storage bottles into it and the glue has stayed usable.  The new glue seems to refresh the older glue.   And the squeeze bottle makes application ridiculously simple.  

AmazonSmile: 8-Pack of 4 Oz Plastic Small Squeeze Bottles and Caps - BPA-Free, Latex-Free, Food-Grade - Great for Icing, Cookie Decorating, Sauces, Condiments, Arts and Crafts and More! : Home & Kitchen

AmazonSmile: Shur-Line 1783844 Red Silicone Mess-Free Store and Pour Collapsible Gallon Paint Can Lid (2 Pack) : Tools & Home Improvement

Great Idea!!!