Cristianbuta

Help need it

Hello every one

I need your help in this matter. 

I got a leather sap made out of horse hide, which originally was dyed with fiebings oil walnut, and finished with resolene. Unfortunately it got a bad scratch so I asked someone to restore it for me. This person used fiebings deglazer, same oil dye colour walnut and finish it with resolene neutral, but unfortunately it didn't have the expected colour. 

Is there any way or change to strip of the second dye and re dye it again so it will be as close to the initial colour. 

First image is the original colour, the one on the scale, second one is the one I'm not happy with the colour. 

Thank you for your help in this matter. 

Chris

IMG-20220616-WA0003.jpg

20220821_094833.jpg

Chris, where are you from? I'm in Pennsylvania, USA. This is against the law to carry in my state. You can get a permit for a firearm but a blackjack, sap or club is bad news. Oh, I'm not  an attorney or in law enforcement.

-Joe

Usually, once you go darker, it's reeeeeally difficult to go lighter. I don't know how to lighten it, personally. This may ruin it (<----disclaimer), but you could try soaking it in water or mineral spirits for a bit to try and leach out the color but I don't know if you're ever going to get it back to the original shade.

i think anything you do will only make it worse. But look at it this way your sap would have darkened naturally anyway.

12 hours ago, AlamoJoe2002 said:

Chris, where are you from? I'm in Pennsylvania, USA. This is against the law to carry in my state. You can get a permit for a firearm but a blackjack, sap or club is bad news. Oh, I'm not  an attorney or in law enforcement.

-Joe

hes looking for help with the color not the sap laws, those are his problem not yours.:dunno:

Having hulled many walnuts, and gotten my hands stained with the juice, I can tell you the colour the sap is now is much closer to what most people consider walnut! Maybe that  will help you live with it..:dunno:.      As people have said, I really don`t think there's a way to make it lighter.

The original colour is close to what I'd consider saddle tan.

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Good feedback Bert.

I have two vintage blackjacks. Both have wear from use. They were issued to the Police in Philadelphia back in the day. They were given to me from a family friend. 

I don't know how to lighten up the color...however, they look nice and will reflect a bit of wear from use. I recommend a sealer once you determine your color change. -Joe