Hags

Scrap! What to do with it?

I mainly build holsters and knife sheathes. It's not really a business for me,  more a busy hobby to pay for my leather addiction.  And in building these things I generate a bunch of scrap. I use some for ball markers for my golf buddies, and a few other things. I recently found a use for the leftover ends of belt straps other than dog collars.  A sand bottle/thermos holder that snaps on a golf bag or push cart. I can see this being used in several other ways as well. Another thing I have seen is the ovals for holding hair up. I am working on a few different sizes for these as well. Nope, not my hair..

20220821_174931.jpg

20220821_180821.jpg

20220821_174939.jpg

20220821_175812.jpg

I have a giant case full of dublin and herman oak. I usually just make my self things with them.

I too do the hair barrette thing and use strap leftovers for bracelets and hatbands .

My scrap is usually very much smaller pieces, odd shapes less than 1/4 the size of a paper $. I've just been sorting out a box full to send to a lady for her to use in art with the children she teaches

I make a lot of Key Fobs with Military emblems engraved on them and I give them to Veterans I meet anywhere I go. 

3 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

I make a lot of Key Fobs with Military emblems engraved on them and I give them to Veterans I meet anywhere I go. 

OUTSTANDING  !!!!!  If you wouldn't mind I may borrow that idea .

Scraps of scraps of test sew scraps. 

B7F8C062-8086-4782-BC1D-EC07D05B3AE8.jpeg

I use scraps all the time, often when I need to add thickness or for a small patch or padding. Recently I've obtained this kinda thin vegtan from a scrap bag mice ate through partially and I used it as support on a horse harness piece. Never throw anything away lol

leather washers for leather handles for leather tools

lijfter1.JPG

I have a friend that is a bladesmith. I give it to him for knife handles.

It's cool to see the various uses. I've learned a thing or two.

On 8/22/2022 at 7:33 AM, Gezzer said:

OUTSTANDING  !!!!!  If you wouldn't mind I may borrow that idea .

absolutely you may. Vets are so happy to receive a gift for their service.:yes::banana::thumbsup: 

Oh, I'll add, with some leathers I punch out 6mm discs for bases for game pieces. As each game needs 40 pieces, and not every disc is perfect I go through a lot of them. I also punch out my 'maker's mark' as an oval to glue into or onto items I cannot really put the stamping directly on

I also use small pieces to imprint our makers mark.  On thinner leather, my wife uses them for tags on the bags she makes. She puts a sticker on the back of them with a price on it. Others, we rivet them on as a makers mark.

I try use every piece i can for whatever i can. And when i get a good bag or box of pieces that are to small for my projects i give them to my littlest sister who makes earrings and barrets, braclets and such. The earrings is a pretty good way to use even the smallest of scrap pieces.