I’m guessing this is the right place? 
I went and purchased 2 gallons of 100% neatsfoot oil and it seems as thick as molasses and it’s a hot summer here in North Carolina.

Spreading this is difficult to say the least! How do I thin this oil to correctly apply to leather? 
Im open to any suggestions 

Doc,

The fact is that some neatsfoot oil may not actually NF oil in the true sense. During a wartime effort (WW2?) the restrictions were eased and other animal fats/oils were allowed to be added or substituted and still called pure NF oil. One of the common ones is cold pressed hog lard. I used to buy gallons of pure NF from whoever was cheapest and often that was a local animal health supplier. Once in a while I'd get some that was cloudy and chunky, sometimes clear and super thick. I went to using Fiebings and had a more consistent product. I have never heard of a thinner for leather oils but light heating usually helped mine out. 

If you heat it up it will thin out. Place a usuable amount in a small bottle with a screw on lid and emerse the bottle in hot water. Let it warm up and you will be good to go...

I put some in a glass jam jar and heat it up in a micro-wave. About 20 or 30 seconds gets it real hot, and very thin

FYI = it is FIEBINGS and I’ll try warming it, it’s almost like maple syrup 

I have a small crock pot, approximately 1/2 quart size (found at a garage sale for a buck).  I put the oil in a jar and warm it as you would a baby bottle in the crock pot.  Just remember to unplug when you finish (experience speaking).

Thats a good idea. Its been a long time since I needed one but I remember you could get electric powered baby bottle warmers. Maybe you/me/we could pick one up cheap?

I rarely use neatsfoot oil at all anymore; usually only when I want to soften up something.  IMHO it softens and darkens the leather too much.  I like Skidmores Leather Cream.  When applied by hand it warms up, thins out nicely, soaks in and buffs up to a nice semi glossy sheen.  

On 8/22/2022 at 8:37 PM, Doc Reaper said:

I’m guessing this is the right place? 
I went and purchased 2 gallons of 100% neatsfoot oil and it seems as thick as molasses and it’s a hot summer here in North Carolina.

Spreading this is difficult to say the least! How do I thin this oil to correctly apply to leather? 
Im open to any suggestions 

In two quick words . .  . you don't.

Put it on with a cheap 1 inch bristle brush . . . hair side only . . . and put just enough on to see you have covered it all or 95% of it.

You know you did because it begins to look wet.

Hang the item up to allow it to spread out and become uniform in the product . . . takes 24 hours.

Do it that way and you will like the result . . . heating it up will get too much on the project . . . and while it will not always ruin the project . . . it can do it very easily.

May God bless,

Dwight

32 minutes ago, Dwight said:

In two quick words . .  . you don't.

Put it on with a cheap 1 inch bristle brush . . . hair side only . . . and put just enough on to see you have covered it all or 95% of it.

You know you did because it begins to look wet.

Hang the item up to allow it to spread out and become uniform in the product . . . takes 24 hours.

Do it that way and you will like the result . . . heating it up will get too much on the project . . . and while it will not always ruin the project . . . it can do it very easily.

May God bless,

Dwight

I once saw a pair of expensive Harley Davidson leather saddle bags that were turned into a floppy mess doing it just the way you said not to.