rmcninch108

Garage to leather shop ideas

I am in the process of turning my 2 car garage into my workshop.Will cool and dehumidify with portable AC/Heat unit . The main thing to start is a large 4 ft x 8 ft table for cutting with storage underneath using the round concrete cardboard cement forms . Top will be 3/4 plywood , what if anything should I put on top of table for a cutting surface ? The only equipment I have so far is a Cobra Class 26 sewing  machine. I would like to have a Stamping and rivet setting table , smaller cutting area for sewing ,glue and dye table ,The large table for cutting and storage and table with my burnish machine and hand splitter. Thanks for the ideas . Robert

I think one layer of 3/4 is pretty thin for a 4x8  table top.  I like to use a double layer of countertop quality particle board when I build workbenches.  It makes a heavy and strong bench top that will support any machine tools you need to put on it and stand up to any serious pounding you may need to do in the course of your leather work.  I glued and screwed the top and bottom sheets together and where I needed a wider top I biscuit joined the edges and staggered the joints.  The countertop quality particle board finishes off nice with a router so you can round off all of the edges and sharp corners.  I finished mine with two coats of clear polyurethane and after 20 years it has held up great. 

Just my two cents... 

Thanks for the info ! 

Robert

6 hours ago, rmcninch108 said:

with storage underneath using the round concrete cardboard cement forms

I like that idea but thought when I build my table, I may just store my leather flat.  Something to consider is putting a curtain or something to block the sun from getting to it.  If I lay mine flat on the bottom shelf, I may cover mine with a layer of cardboard to protect it.  Do you already have a chunk of marble for stamping?  If not, get with a counter top contractor and ask for a sink cutout.  They normally have stacks of them.

I built a frame with 6 legs made of 3" wooden fence posts and 2 x 4 runners, and covered with 3/4 inch sheet of plywood.  You can stiffen it up by adding more crossmembers to the frame to support the top.  I use the storage shelves underneath for --everything.  I bought a cutting mat from Joann Fabrics and cover it with a flattened cardboard box when staining or gluing.

workbench.thumb.jpg.49e8c962f197438ccd165c2ab406e4cb.jpg

@TomE  that’s a nice set up!

This will be broken into a few replies. I built this stamping bench with dimensional lumber and an inlaid granite inspection plate from Grizzly. The plate is supported by 2x4s on edge and glued and bolted construction. About 6 months later I tightened up the bolts after the wood shrank a bit. Quite a few years later and still no bounce and never has had much noise. The stamp organization has been a work in progress but the commonly used ones are in the racks and the rest are in rolls sorted by makers. One of the worktables is actually a desk and the McMillen stamps are sorted by type into small cups in a drawer. When I was using it I was doing a lot of longer and bigger projects so the roll stamps were in drawers also. My wife doesnt do as big a pieces and leaves them out. 

DSCN0414.JPG

DSCN0415.JPG

DSCN0419.JPG

The hand tools are organized to be within a two step reach of the work table. The handled tools are stored in loops that are hung on free standing pegboard racks I made. The board holding each row of tools is hung on hooks to be easier to reorganize as more tools were added. The HF workbench has a granite block and pads for punching, the anvil underneath is put on a bench for rivet setting. She has her drill press for hole punching and burnishing as well as the grinder burnisher on that side of the work table. The Chase splitter is over there too. Leather is stored underneath and some is rolled and in concrete form tubes also. The working and cutting tables a repurposed desk and a yard sale worktable. There is a piece of 1/4" HDPE to cut and glue on. Minimal deep cuts in the surface and glue peels off. 

DSCN0418.JPG

DSCN0417.JPG

DSCN0416.JPG

The opposite side of the work table has the two (soon to be 3) sewing machines and the crank splitter. 

This shop has gone through a few versions and had a draw down and stitching horse out when I was building. Since my wife took it over she has changed it up some but still very workable. It has been an adaptable set up. 

DSCN0420.JPG

Thanks everyone for comments, great ideas ! Robert 

Bruce, is that a William Matthews watercolor on the wall?  Nice shop!

2 hours ago, Cattledude said:

Bruce, is that a William Matthews watercolor on the wall?  Nice shop!

Yes it is!  I favor Matthews' work. This is probably the handiest shop I've had. It is all pretty modular and we haven't been forced into a layout because of permanently installed benches or cabinets. Before the leather tool business took over and I was making a lot, I had the shop set up a little different. My wife works well in this layout.  

14 hours ago, PastorBob said:

I like that idea but thought when I build my table, I may just store my leather flat.  Something to consider is putting a curtain or something to block the sun from getting to it.  If I lay mine flat on the bottom shelf, I may cover mine with a layer of cardboard to protect it.  Do you already have a chunk of marble for stamping?  If not, get with a counter top contractor and ask for a sink cutout.  They normally have stacks of them.

Thanks so much. 

18 hours ago, bruce johnson said:

The hand tools are organized to be within a two step reach of the work table. The handled tools are stored in loops that are hung on free standing pegboard racks I made. The board holding each row of tools is hung on hooks to be easier to reorganize as more tools were added. The HF workbench has a granite block and pads for punching, the anvil underneath is put on a bench for rivet setting. She has her drill press for hole punching and burnishing as well as the grinder burnisher on that side of the work table. The Chase splitter is over there too. Leather is stored underneath and some is rolled and in concrete form tubes also. The working and cutting tables a repurposed desk and a yard sale worktable. There is a piece of 1/4" HDPE to cut and glue on. Minimal deep cuts in the surface and glue peels off. 

DSCN0418.JPG

DSCN0417.JPG

DSCN0416.JPG

Thank you for the pictures.  I particularly like the idea of storing leather in the sonotubes and your tooling bench looks awesome.