JShapiro

Which buckle is better?

Hi, I'm looking at two different 1" nickel-plated roller buckles, one from Tandy and one from Buckleguy. The price difference at the quantities I need is over $2 each. Is the Buckleguy one really that much better? Opinions welcome. Thanks!

Photo is the Buckleguy, download is the Tandy. I can't figure out how to get the Tandy pic to upload as a pic and not a downloadable file :/

apifbu1qr__60074.jpg

tandy.webp

Edited by JShapiro

586a5ce30a53fcd950c8fdc980c26df8c864da17_800x800.jpg?v=1651513404the tandy roller buckle. I doubt there is much difference they all come from china now.

Tandy is not what I picture when I think of good quality, I’ll bet when held in hand the buckle guy has a better feel to it. I go after feel the hardware gives to the hand, if it feels as light as a feather it won’t hold up as a working strap. But in the same breath if you are using it as a hair product or for a hat then feather weight is good

weird the link doesn't open to the buckle and for some reason there is no edit button anymore? but Weaver is having a 10% discount on hardware so have a look.

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

weird the link doesn't open to the buckle and for some reason there is no edit button anymore? but Weaver is having a 10% discount on hardware so have a look.

Link opens fine for me.  Maybe your browser is blocking pop-ups or some other activity that has been set in your security settings.  So many things browsers do now that I don't even try to keep up with what they are all doing now.

I use Weaver and Batz Corp for tack hardware. Mostly stainless steel and brass. I avoid zinc die cast and plated hardware for heavy use.  Can see the plating chipping off after a few years in the barn. The brass and stainless look good for decades and are salvaged from broken tack. 

13 hours ago, JShapiro said:

Hi, I'm looking at two different 1" nickel-plated roller buckles, one from Tandy and one from Buckleguy. The price difference at the quantities I need is over $2 each. Is the Buckleguy one really that much better? Opinions welcome. Thanks!

Photo is the Buckleguy, download is the Tandy. I can't figure out how to get the Tandy pic to upload as a pic and not a downloadable file :/

apifbu1qr__60074.jpg

tandy.webp 8.02 kB · 6 downloads

I have found the difference in quality great enough to make Buckleguy hardware the choice for me.  I guess it depends on what you are making and who your customer is though.

And if it wasn't already confusing enough Springfield leather has a great selection of buckles at good prices and the quality is very good.

It looks like Tandy's buckle  looks extremely similar at $1.99...but than again , they are not made in the USA  like the other suppliers'  so i guess the quality is not the same 

Center Bar Roller Buckle

I just completed a rough count of "a few buckles' that have recently come into my possession. Not counting the "one offs" and anything under 5/8" it totalled over 3200 pieces. (In case your curious the entire lot is packed into 4 of the old school plastic milk crates) Along with the buckles, came 2 really tightly packed plastic milk crates with eyelets, snaps, etc., and one box of various zippers, and I don't think any one of them were marked as being made in any other country than China... and I'm quite certain that a lot of the hardware was purchased in the 70s and onward.

A quick calculation tells me that I can put a buckle on an item for the next 8.75 years (without a day off) before I have to buy new stock, after all, how many variations can there be in buckle design that makes a newly minted one more desirable than one from even 30 years ago? The weight should tell the tale IMHO.

EDIT:  I suppose if I started to make BDSM rigs (if that's what you'd call them), I could shorted that 8.75 years to what, a little under 8 months?

Edited by Buckles
added a little humour?

On 8/30/2022 at 10:33 PM, Buckles said:

I just completed a rough count of "a few buckles' that have recently come into my possession. Not counting the "one offs" and anything under 5/8" it totalled over 3200 pieces. (In case your curious the entire lot is packed into 4 of the old school plastic milk crates) Along with the buckles, came 2 really tightly packed plastic milk crates with eyelets, snaps, etc., and one box of various zippers, and I don't think any one of them were marked as being made in any other country than China... and I'm quite certain that a lot of the hardware was purchased in the 70s and onward.

A quick calculation tells me that I can put a buckle on an item for the next 8.75 years (without a day off) before I have to buy new stock, after all, how many variations can there be in buckle design that makes a newly minted one more desirable than one from even 30 years ago? The weight should tell the tale IMHO.

EDIT:  I suppose if I started to make BDSM rigs (if that's what you'd call them), I could shorted that 8.75 years to what, a little under 8 months?

Are ya selling any of em, send me a picture PM please

I have the exact buckle in 1 1/4 inches from Buckle Guy currently on a 12-14 ounce belt. Nice weight to it.  It's a good product...however, it has a minimal foot print and doesn't present well on a beefy belt.

I used it as a trial piece to eliminate making a keeper for the belt. -JOE

No way to prove it but I think both buckles mentioned in the OP probably came out of the same door of a factory in China.

53 minutes ago, doubleh said:

No way to prove it but I think both buckles mentioned in the OP probably came out of the same door of a factory in China.

:17:

22 hours ago, doubleh said:

Even if that were true it wouldn't mean the quality of the two buckles is the same.  Many manufacturers produce the same or similar items for different price point markets.  I have purchased buckles from both suppliers and I haven't found the quality to be the same.

On 8/23/2022 at 4:03 PM, JShapiro said:

apifbu1qr__60074.jpg

tandy.webp 8.02 kB · 8 downloads

on bulk order you would get a discount when ordering from buckleguy

On 8/23/2022 at 4:20 PM, chuck123wapati said:

586a5ce30a53fcd950c8fdc980c26df8c864da17_800x800.jpg?v=1651513404the tandy roller buckle. I doubt there is much difference they all come from china now.

many products come from china these days.

the difference would be a manufacturer itself, it's production items, design, materials used, etc.

14 hours ago, nrk said:

the difference would be a manufacturer itself, it's production items, design, materials used, etc.

+1

Quality is determined by examining the product itself, not where it is made.  I have ordered from both suppliers and IMHO Buckleguy is of significantly higher quality.  Whether both products are made in the same factory is something I don't know and my guess would be that neither does anyone else posting here.

15 hours ago, nrk said:

yup to many!

1 hour ago, sbrownn said:

+1

Whether both products are made in the same factory is something I don't know and my guess would be that neither does anyone else posting here.

your right but we don't know they weren't either and that's the quandary, paying twice as much for the same thing.

The only way to tell is obvious get one of each and take a file to them and see what the base metal is, then maybe a good strength test of some kind.. We as a group obviously haven't tested either of them for the purpose that the op intends to use them other than maybe feeling them. lol 

3 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

your right but we don't know they weren't either and that's the quandary, paying twice as much for the same thing.

The only way to tell is obvious get one of each and take a file to them and see what the base metal is, then maybe a good strength test of some kind.. We as a group obviously haven't tested either of them for the purpose that the op intends to use them other than maybe feeling them. lol 

I have had them both and you can tell a significant difference by look and feel alone.  Just the posted pictures are enough if you know what you are looking at.

Just now, sbrownn said:

I have had them both and you can tell a significant difference by look and feel alone.  Just the posted pictures are enough if you know what you are looking at.

i have had them both too plus dozens of others sorry i disagree i pick my buckles according to their use. No one can truly tell what's under plating or how well something is made by looking at a picture or even feeling it. But hey that's your opinion so go with it I certainly don't care how you pick your buckles.

Now if you read the op He wants know if the 2.00 dollar difference is justified. So what is he using them for? cute little purses or heavy duty dog collars? You gonna throw 2 more bucks on a product your only making ten on if its not needed??

This is from Buckleguy's website. 

I 100% agree with @chuck123wapati. It depends on the end use, customer's needs, and the end price point of the product being made. 

If it's a buckle I'm just putting there for "show" because there's a magnetic snap under it, why pay more? However if it's a buckle on a horse headstall or a piece of hardware on a holster of some kind, absolutely, get the best you can. 

I looks at it the same was as picking leather for a project. Sure, leather XYZ might be the best of the best, but is it really needed for the small pocket knife sheath you're making for your nephew? Just my $0.50 (rounded up for inflation).

Buckleguy.png