Key

Pricking Iron for a beginner!

@Key  I’m surprised no one mentioned something that I always do before hand stitching, using a stitch groover.  The groover creates a small groove where you’re going to stitch, that allows the thread to “lay in” the leather, it also gives you a line to follow whether you use pricking irons or chisels.   Of course you can always just use a wheel to mark your holes and then use an awl. 

I’d practice (a lot), as @zuludog said, everything looks easy when done by someone with years of experience.  To make a good saddle stitch you need to be consistent and repeatable, over and over again. 

Not everybody uses a groover, it's as simple as that. 

@Key Really fine leather is not sewn in saddle stitch, as far as I know, but with glover's needles. The names indicate the purpose. And frankly, I would think that shoes are a very different subject altogether. Because, as with saddles, it's not just a question of making an item well, but of making something that fits well, which adds a whole other dimension. 

In your place I would start out leatherwork with Jo's pattern for a needle case. It's free, easy to make and you end up with a useful item. Then maybe a checkbook cover, if you use checks. Or a simple wallet or card holder. Those are essentially flat items, which simplifies things. Then move up to 3D bags (those with a gusset) - I find them much more difficult, if only because they are more difficult to hold for stitching. And then consider what you really want to do. 

My two cents worth... I've only been saddle stitching for about 2 years now. I started with Tandy diamond stitching chisels in 3.5 mm. They worked fine for me at the time. Until I bent one (my fault). I replaced the single one I had bent. But after watching a lot of Nigel's videos on saddle stitching I purchased Kevin Lee stitching chisels. Made my saddle stitching 100% better!! Front and back. They are a little spendy but I think worth every penny. I have never used a groover as I don't like that look personally. Drilled holes same. I only make knife sheaths and the occasional small wallet and minimalist wallets.

1 st pic with Tandy tools.

2nd with Kevin Lee...much cleaner and more distinct angle. Which I prefer. 

10 sheaths.jpg

2nd pic

lee stitching 2.jpg

Thanks for those photos. I think sheaths are on my list of to do’s but still working with flat stuff for now.